PDA

View Full Version : Landscaper Killed

DavidD
08-12-2002, 10:35 PM
http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2002/08/09/2002080926846.htm

Barkleymut
08-12-2002, 10:42 PM
Right there is the reason I do very little tree work. It scares the **** outta me. If I can drop a whole tree in just about any direction then no problem. But pushing a tree? Darwin awards are in order. Just hope it wasn't Charles.

Expert Lawns
08-12-2002, 10:43 PM
that is horrible. did you know him?

you can never be too safe :(

wriken
08-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Thats bad news, I've had some close calls myself. I was in the pulpwood/Logging/Chipping business for 11 yrs.

AVRECON
08-12-2002, 10:46 PM
Heres one from Greenville, N.C. The guy cut the tree down and I assume he didn't have anyone blocking traffic on his street. When ever I take a tree down such as this I have cones and another man to help keep traffic away, sometimes I have a city cop to block traffic till the tree is down and cleared out of the way.
http://www.reflector.com/news/newsfd/auto/feed/news/2002/08/08/1028781366.24670.3368.0101.html

Art Stubbs handy 58
08-12-2002, 10:53 PM
We'll say a prayer for him and his family, so sorry to hear the news...

summitgroundskeeping
08-12-2002, 11:02 PM
An 18 year ols kid died on a ZTR this year by me. He was driving a Scag Turf Tiger on a slope, next to a lake wall, and wearing his seat belt w/o a roll bar.

KirbysLawn
08-13-2002, 01:03 AM
One of my best friends was killed a few years ago cutting a tree. He was at a friends house in the early morning and the tree top fell and hit him in the head killing him instantly. The home owner and also a friend of both of us came home later in the day and saw the truck in the drive, looked for him and finally found him hanging in the tree. He was one of the best people I have ever met, a real loss.

I stay away from trees.

awm
08-13-2002, 08:19 AM
im no aborist but i take safe jobs.
an aborist can enliten me here but
i been taken trees all my life and i see a
lack of knowledge of how to fell a tree in this article. makes me wonder if the author didnt really understand the helper and mabe just used his imagination ,as to what happened. not critical of the dead . just think the article is incorrect in details.
this is the most dangerous wk i do ,and a 53 yr old tree man, would know better.
this is one function of the hinge.
of course anybody doing this much, ,knows anything can happen.your time is your time. jmho.sympathies to the poor mans family.

sprucehavenfarm
08-13-2002, 01:12 PM
A 20 year old was killed in Muncie IN a couple weeks ago while cutting a clients grass. This was a day after a storm and a live wire was hidden in the trees. He connected with it and died about a week later. His partner called 911 and a police officer was severely injured when she backed into the same line and then fell against an EMT who was also injured. That was the first they figured a wire was hidden in the branches. Officer lost some toes and is having skin grafts but survived and EMT was treated and released. Very scary!:cry:

Cooper Landscaping
08-14-2002, 05:28 PM
We ne guy here in CT that was working on a 60 ft elm i believe and the bramch he was cutting broke another branch which gt tangle in his safety line- heres the artice http://www.connpost.com/Stories/0,1413,96%257E3750%257E794735,00.html
sorry- i dont know how to link
-Coop

lawnkid
08-14-2002, 06:33 PM
i was just cutting a tree down today with my brother. It was about a foot in diameter and about 80 ft. tall. I used my boss's band new Stihl MS-260 Pro chainsaw. We just tied a rope to the midlle of it and I sawed while my bro pulled and it cam crashing down. It then got stuck on some branches of another tree so i climbed the tree while my bro held the ladder. I told him to ge away from the ladder now that I was in the tree and sure enough the tree finally fell and hit the ladder where my brohter would have been standing. thanks god! :angel: So be careful out there especailly when you really don't have the right equipment to cut a huge tree down like a bucket truck and a shreder so..

HBFOXJr
08-14-2002, 07:04 PM
A simple thing to remember and pass along.

If it moves, it can hurt you. Think and work accordingly.

Hodge
08-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear about this. Just another person trying to make a living, but tree work is scary *****:angel:

DavidD
08-17-2002, 12:08 AM
LawnKid, I think you need to stay far away from trees 3 Things you described are Dangerous.

BEST KEPT LAWNCARE
08-17-2002, 03:01 PM
WHILE A WAS A GARDNER FOR DISNEY WORLD I WAS MOWING A RETENTION POND EARLY IN MORNING AND IT WAS BY THE DRAIN PIPE SO THERE WAS A 6 FOOT DROP FROM THE TOP OF THE PIPE TO BOTTOM OF WATER PLUS THE HILL WAS MOWING SIDE WAS AND MOWER STARDED TO SLIDE DOWN HILL COULD NOT STOP IT JUST GOT CLOSER AND CLOSER TO WATER SO I TURNED SO I WOULD GO INTO WATER HEAD FIRST IS I IDI THATT I OPEND THE HANDLES WITCH KILLED THE MOTOR AND BLADES AND DOVE INTO WATER AWAY FROM MACHINE MOWER FLIPPED OVER AS IT SUNK 6 FOOT DOWN THEY HAD TO GET A CRANE TO GET IT OUT WHEN WE GOT IT BACK TO SHOP IT STARDED RIGHT UP ALLS THEY HAD TO DO WAS BUY A NEW SEAT THATS WAS LUCKY

awm
08-17-2002, 03:24 PM
lawn kid i totally respect your honesty and your helpful post. in short i like u. that being said,u really need to study up on how to fell a tree as safely as possible.
hope u dont take offence as its not intended.
just dont want to read about u brother.
on anything ,other than lawnsite.:)

cos
08-17-2002, 04:59 PM
I am surprised they gave the actual addresses. I hearsd alot of stories. Think before you cut.