PDA

View Full Version : to all DONT BUY KAWASAKI HANDHELDS

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 09:55 PM
i have had mine for 2 years now and they suck. heres, my problems;

KGT27A ($320)- floods all the time & cant start for a hour, refuse to start after dieing, gas cap leaks, and has carb issues

KEL27A ($300)- on the 2nd carb, floods all the time & cant start for a hour, gas cap leaks, and has carb issues again and wont run right now.

KRB750B ($489)- only prob is straps are falling apart (echo one i had before lasted 5yrs before falling apart)

KHS600 ($320)- needs a new carb and current one leaks like a sieve.

ok today i try calling both phone #'s for Kawasaki corp, i get terminal hold for 30min each before i get hung up on.

then i call the distributor for them, terminal hold again since i am a consumer, i call back as a dealer immediate pick up then i get hung up on once they find out i am a consumer and not a dealer.

when i bought them the closest service was 25m today 65+ miles if i knew this was going to be this way i would have bought some husky. at this point i am so peo'd i want to set them in front house and go to the end of my street turn around and drive over them at 60 in my ram! then fedex the pieces back to Kawasaki with a note stuff this crap up your blank guys.

ok guys what should i do i cant use them acting like this but at the same time i dont have the cash to fix out of pocket anymore or buy new from a diff maker.

Mowingman
09-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I bet they use some model of one of the big namebrand carbs, like Walbro maybe. If you can find out what carb they use, you can just buy a carb. of that model from some nearby lawn equipment shop, and install a whole new carb on each one.
Once you know what make and model carb you have, they are easy for any dealer to get, from places like Stens, rotary, or Oregon.
Also, be sure you do not have carbon buildup on the spark screen in the muffler. Remove those spark screens and the machines might run. Just another thing to check.

LCPullman
09-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Hmm, not sure what you can do except fix them.
As far as the flooding issue, you might want to consider how they are handled. What I mean by that is do they get bounced around the back of a truck between jobs, or are they somehow in a box which would get really hot in the sun?
From my experience, the flooding problems are usually not restricted to any specific brand. So you don't know if a different brand would fix that problem or not.
You probably should check the fuel tank vent which is in the cap, if its gone that might be why the cap is leaking. If its dirty, it might not vent properly which could possibly cause flooding.

I don't think either corporate or the distributor wants to deal with you. The dealer is supposed to do that. But since there isn't a local dealer any more, you probably should look online for parts. There are a number of places that sell Kawasaki parts.

mowerbrad
09-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Is this the distributor you called...

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A. ENGINE DIVISION
5080 36TH ST. SE
GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512
PHONE: (616) 949-6500
FAX: (616) 954-3031
SERVING: UNITED STATES (EXCLUDING HAWAII)

That's the distributor listed on the website.

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 10:18 PM
I bet they use some model of one of the big namebrand carbs, like Walbro maybe. If you can find out what carb they use, you can just buy a carb. of that model from some nearby lawn equipment shop, and install a whole new carb on each one.
Once you know what make and model carb you have, they are easy for any dealer to get, from places like Stens, rotary, or Oregon.
Also, be sure you do not have carbon buildup on the spark screen in the muffler. Remove those spark screens and the machines might run. Just another thing to check.

i looked up the part # its a kawasaki brand that has to be shiped from japan or

http://www.mowpart.com/p105059/Carburetor-Assy-TF022D66/product_info.html cost is $140

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Is this the distributor you called...

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A. ENGINE DIVISION
5080 36TH ST. SE
GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512
PHONE: (616) 949-6500
FAX: (616) 954-3031
SERVING: UNITED STATES (EXCLUDING HAWAII)

That's the distributor listed on the website.

yup it is the one

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Hmm, not sure what you can do except fix them.
As far as the flooding issue, you might want to consider how they are handled. What I mean by that is do they get bounced around the back of a truck between jobs, or are they somehow in a box which would get really hot in the sun?
From my experience, the flooding problems are usually not restricted to any specific brand. So you don't know if a different brand would fix that problem or not.
You probably should check the fuel tank vent which is in the cap, if its gone that might be why the cap is leaking. If its dirty, it might not vent properly which could possibly cause flooding.

I don't think either corporate or the distributor wants to deal with you. The dealer is supposed to do that. But since there isn't a local dealer any more, you probably should look online for parts. There are a number of places that sell Kawasaki parts.

a extreme trimmer rack on a open trailer, as for the flooding i have head echos and redmax and never flooded in travel to jobs

LCPullman
09-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty certain the carb is a Walbro carb, but your not likely to be able to match it up with a generic Walbro carb very well.

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
plus if i buy $1429 in product stand behind it and awnser the phone and i expent them not to start craping out after 1.5yrs, ps called a 75mile away dealer and they put me on termial hold after i told them i got them at jdl and not them and needed service on them.

LCPullman
09-27-2010, 10:30 PM
a extreme trimmer rack on a open trailer, as for the flooding i have head echos and redmax and never flooded in travel to jobs

Okay, that is good. I just know that I have had some of the newer Echos that flood (even on the rack) when its hot out.

So do these flood all the time, or just when its hot?

Unfortunate that the dealer won't even help you.

mowerbrad
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
yup it is the one

The distributor is about 45 minutes away from me...never knew that.

I'd be calling over there regularly until you get some help.

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Okay, that is good. I just know that I have had some of the newer Echos that flood (even on the rack) when its hot out.

So do these flood all the time, or just when its hot?

a little of both, solved it from doing it half the time by puting it sideways with the cap to the top but it still leaks and floods most of the time, aka full tank friday night and monday morning empty tank.

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 10:47 PM
The distributor is about 45 minutes away from me...never knew that.

I'd be calling over there regularly until you get some help.

left a message at the supervisors desk, like i will get a call back :dizzy:

GlynnC
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Don't know about any of the other Kaw models, but I maintain 8 KGT27a, 2 KGT27B's, and personally own 2 KGT27A's. The one's I maintain for another LCO are run hard, many hours--no carb problems--not one. I replace clutches, shafts, and clean exhaust ports--that's it.

I order most parts from online suppliers--local dealer apparently doesn't see much value in running an organized parts dept. Parts are expensive, and I dread the day I have to replace a carb on one of my Kaw trimmers.

Before you decide to run over the KGT27A, I'll pay the freight to get it to Tennessee:).

jbannick18
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm having the same problem with my KGT27A, floods all the time! Hoping the extreme trimmer rack will help out. Been running my edger for 3 years without any problems though. Just got a Krb750 and its been going good for now. Switching over to stihl now though, got great dealer support 5 miles from the house.

DON'T buy kawi's extended hedge trimmers, went through two and asked for my money back. They vibrate like no other

Alan0354
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
You might want to try different ways of starting. You are talking about multiple units failure. There are quite a few people here using Kawi KGT27 and never heard of complain about this. Maybe someone can respond by discribing how they start the engine.

I had problem, severe problem in starting my Echo before, it flooded all the time. BUT since I learn how to start it in the correct way, never once have problem in the last two years. Make sure you don't close the choke when you start the engine after the first time in the morning, when you drive between jobs.

Alan0354
09-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Don't know about any of the other Kaw models, but I maintain 8 KGT27a, 2 KGT27B's, and personally own 2 KGT27A's. The one's I maintain for another LCO are run hard, many hours--no carb problems--not one. I replace clutches, shafts, and clean exhaust ports--that's it.

I order most parts from online suppliers--local dealer apparently doesn't see much value in running an organized parts dept. Parts are expensive, and I dread the day I have to replace a carb on one of my Kaw trimmers.

Before you decide to run over the KGT27A, I'll pay the freight to get it to Tennessee:).

Now now, me and you are going have to fight for this one!!!:laugh::laugh:

I tame wild trimmers!!!

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
You might want to try different ways of starting. You are talking about multiple units failure. There are quite a few people here using Kawi KGT27 and never heard of complain about this. Maybe someone can respond by discribing how they start the engine.

I had problem, severe problem in starting my Echo before, it flooded all the time. BUT since I learn how to start it in the correct way, never once have problem in the last two years. Make sure you don't close the choke when you start the engine after the first time in the morning, when you drive between jobs.

when it was new choke prime 3x pull un choke it pull and runs. still does it when it does not act like a *****

GlynnC
09-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Now now, me and you are going have to fight for this one!!!:laugh::laugh:

I tame wild trimmers!!!

Alan, see my post on my new to me FS80--tame this wild trimmer and I'll concede the KGT27A to you!!!!:laugh:

Frontier-Lawn
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM

1 each, trimmer edger blower and 30" single side hedge trimmer

GlynnC
09-28-2010, 12:01 AM
1 each, trimmer edger blower and 30" single side hedge trimmer

Okay, if your'e serious, so am I!!!!

I did forget the leaking cap issue on the one's I maintain. The owner says his guys tighten the caps too tight and ruin the seals inside the cap--I've ordered several of these from Pats Small Engine. I've not had this problem on mine.

StihlMechanic
09-28-2010, 12:25 AM
to all DONT BUY KAWASAKI HANDHELDS

I could of told you that

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 12:26 AM
when it was new choke prime 3x pull un choke it pull and runs. still does it when it does not act like a *****

So you mean they all worked when they were new, it just became like this later. AND the problem is only when it is warmed up.

One, I don't believe it's the ignition problem, so most likely is the carb.

Second, I don't believe all the carbs are defective since I believe they are wabro. So the question is what did you do to cause it. You don't have multiple failure of the same because of defective.

Could it be the gas you use? How old is the gas? Do you drop dirt into the tank?

Maybe you should use the blue Stabil in your gas and put 2 oz of SeaFoam into a gallon of gas and run a few tankful to see whether it will clean up the carb inside.

maybe change gas station. Something bugs me about the leaking also.

Frontier-Lawn
09-28-2010, 12:38 AM
So you mean they all worked when they were new, it just became like this later. AND the problem is only when it is warmed up.

One, I don't believe it's the ignition problem, so most likely is the carb.

Second, I don't believe all the carbs are defective since I believe they are wabro. So the question is what did you do to cause it. You don't have multiple failure of the same because of defective.

Could it be the gas you use? How old is the gas? Do you drop dirt into the tank?

Maybe you should use the blue Stabil in your gas and put 2 oz of SeaFoam into a gallon of gas and run a few tankful to see whether it will clean up the carb inside.

maybe change gas station. Something bugs me about the leaking also.

89oct sunoco, shindy one oil at 50:1 w/ red stabil, change fuel filter every 6 months, & a E3 plug.

still cant start edger so seafoam wouldn/t help

cpel2004
09-28-2010, 12:52 AM
My first trimmer was a kawi from Lesco..... lol I havent purchased another piece of their two cycle crap ever again. However its was very comfortable.

newz7151
09-28-2010, 01:38 AM
89oct sunoco, shindy one oil at 50:1 w/ red stabil, change fuel filter every 6 months, & a E3 plug.

Why would you be using red stabil, when the Shindaiwa ONE oil already has a fuel stabilizer in it? And have you tried going back to the stock plug? If it (or any equipment rather) was designed to use one of those gimmicky E3 plugs, they would put them in at the factory and spec them for original parts.

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 01:55 AM

Use the blue marine Stabil instead.

Mickhippy
09-28-2010, 02:11 AM
Ive been using kawi trimmers for years and they havent missed a beat! Start easy and run no problem even after sitting for weeks.
They work very hard doing stuff that a larger trimmer should be used on, using 3.3mm line.
I have doubts about the new ones with the EPA up/down grades but I'll worry about that when it comes time to buy new. Will probably change brands then.
IMO, they have or had the best power to weight on any out there.

Are you using ethanol fuel? I dont touch that stuff for any equipment, at greater cost to me!

Stillwater
09-28-2010, 02:17 AM
ok guys what should i do i cant use them acting like this but at the same time i dont have the cash to fix out of pocket anymore or buy new from a diff maker.

You have to you can't afford not to

Keith
09-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Ive been using kawi trimmers for years and they havent missed a beat! Start easy and run no problem even after sitting for weeks.
They work very hard doing stuff that a larger trimmer should be used on, using 3.3mm line.
I have doubts about the new ones with the EPA up/down grades but I'll worry about that when it comes time to buy new. Will probably change brands then.

Are you using ethanol fuel? I dont touch that stuff for any equipment, at greater cost to me!

That was my question as well. I have a lot of the same equipment as Frontier, and more. Not a single problems so far. I only use non-ethanol gas in it.

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 04:06 AM
That's why I suggested Blue Stabil to combat alcohol.

cgaengineer
09-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Don't know where you people buy non ethanol gas, but around here you cannot find it.
Posted via Mobile Device

K/B
09-28-2010, 07:16 AM
I believe some if not all the Kawasaki handhelds use TK carbs, thus the high price.

I agree with newz, toss that piece of junk E3 plug and install the correct plug.

MR-G
09-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Not that this is the case with you...but this is why you need to charge for your services what it is worth...you also have to figure in replacement...we never keep hand held equipment more than 9-10 months....sell it while there is still life left...and buy new.....just my 2 cents....

Sammy
09-28-2010, 09:02 AM
........................i dont have the cash to fix out of pocket anymore or buy new from a diff maker.

Six years in biz and you can't afford a trimmer !

You need to have a equipment replacement program.

Frontier-Lawn
09-28-2010, 10:53 AM

sorry but every station nere me is E10 and there is talks of going to E15 next year if it passes road tests in cars

Frontier-Lawn
09-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't know where you people buy non ethanol gas, but around here you cannot find it.
Posted via Mobile Device

i was thinking of trying this next month http://www.trufuel50.com/ more $ then the normal way we do it.

Mickhippy
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
sorry but every station nere me is E10 and there is talks of going to E15 next year if it passes road tests in cars

Fair enough. We can still get none E10 fuel here but its just a matter of time till its gone.

Cant really say 100% sure its the fuel anyway, was just putting it out there.
I have a Kawi back pack blower, its pretty old and I put E10 mix in it once and it made the fuel line perish really quickly. Haven't used E10 since.
Have heard a few problems with "newer" Kawi motors as they were late sorting out your EPA changes. I believe Tanaka sorted it out ages ago and is one brand I will look at when its time to buy new.

I just find it strange that your having trouble with multiple machines. Maybe look at how machines are being used, transported, try different fuel, are they getting hot etc.

Hope you sort it out and I understand your frustration! I wanted to run over my Stihl hand held blower! Damned thing would not run if it had sat in the sun.

Frontier-Lawn
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Six years in biz and you can't afford a trimmer !

You need to have a equipment replacement program.

i have a special needs daughter so i only get and keep so many clients (max 15) so i can be around for her needs.

and 15 lawns a week should not kill a trimmer after 2 yrs, i had a redmax from when i started the company until last year when it got legs and never had the problems like these unit do. redmax had the original plug filter and carb after 5yrs and still ran and started like a champ.

Frontier-Lawn
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Fair enough. We can still get none E10 fuel here but its just a matter of time till its gone.

Cant really say 100% sure its the fuel anyway, was just putting it out there.
I have a Kawi back pack blower, its pretty old and I put E10 mix in it once and it made the fuel line perish really quickly. Haven't used E10 since.
Have heard a few problems with "newer" Kawi motors as they were late sorting out your EPA changes. I believe Tanaka sorted it out ages ago and is one brand I will look at when its time to buy new.

I just find it strange that your having trouble with multiple machines. Maybe look at how machines are being used, transported, try different fuel, are they getting hot etc.

Hope you sort it out and I understand your frustration! I wanted to run over my Stihl hand held blower! Damned thing would not run if it had sat in the sun.

with the e10 now i am changing the primers every 2 months after they crack, :cry:

i am also going to buy the trimmer covers in jan from we chaps to keep them out of the eleiments

ucfbrian
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Almost all of the Sunoco stations in central Florida here are starting to carry 93 octane ethanol free gas in a seperate tank for boats and ATV's. You might also try to lookup any bulk oil/fuel suppliers in your area and see if they have it and how much you have to buy at a time if they dont have a pump for it at their location. I had a friend that used to buy 55 gallon drums at a time of ethanol free gas before the stations started carrying it.

Keith
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
For those looking for stations that sell non-ethanol gasoline, check www.pure-gas.com

cgaengineer
09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
It seems to me ethanol is blamed for many engine problems when the problem my lie somewhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device

newz7151
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM
It seems to me ethanol is blamed for many engine problems when the problem my lie somewhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device

you have almost 10,000 posts, yet this is the first time i have seen your user ID, how is that possible?

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 01:05 PM
i was thinking of trying this next month http://www.trufuel50.com/ more $ then the normal way we do it.

You are doing 15 lawns a week, you might want to see whether your gas is getting old. The red Stabil won't work very well with alcohol that attract water. If the carb is gummed up inside, SeaFoam can really clean it up.

Those can mix you showed works, I am using it in my blowers during the non leaf season because the usage of gas is very slow in the blowers. But it is $4.99 per quart, that is highway robbery!!! Try the blue Stabil, it is specially formulated for marine to combat water in the tank and alcohol. Run Stabil first and see whether it improve or not.

You might want to learn how to overhalt the carb yourself, look around the carb body and find the number, someone suggest it is TK, verify that and get the overhalt kid. It is quite easy to do if you are handy. Get a can of duster from computer store like Fry's, blow through the little opening dry before re-assemble.

cgaengineer
09-28-2010, 01:07 PM
you have almost 10,000 posts, yet this is the first time i have seen your user ID, how is that possible?

Lol, I'm around...spent too much time in the politics section.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Lol, I'm around...spent too much time in the politics section.
Posted via Mobile Device

And I know you well over there. Too bad I got banned for good!!!! Moderator is liberal biased, they don't ban the liberal ones.

cgaengineer
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
And I know you well over there. Too bad I got banned for good!!!! Moderator is liberal biased, they don't ban the liberal ones.

A liberal moderator? No way, you got to be kidding me! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 01:48 PM
A liberal moderator? No way, you got to be kidding me! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Out of 3000 of my posts, over 2000 is from politics also!!! I would have spare the guys here with all my ranting if they would let me stay in the politics forum!!!:laugh::laugh:

I found my new home with politics in a-rboris-t site, no moderating.

mx315
09-28-2010, 02:49 PM
We've had the same problems with All our Kawasaki handhelds. They have ran very well for the past couple of years and it seems like after the first of the year everything started running bad. All the gas caps have been replaced several times. Kawi Rep told me that ethanol was eating up the rubber gaskets inside the caps and they were changing the compound in the gaskets. I ordered more caps and they started leaking again. I have some that have ran for 2-3 years with no problems and some that started having issues soon after I bought them... but it was all about the same time. I think the rubber pieces got sucked into the carb and engine.
I got tired of fighting with Kawi about the caps and ethanol. I went to JD and bought all new Stihl handhelds a couple of months ago.

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Is it possible to buy the gas cap seal from Echo or Shindaiwa and replace the Kawi gas cap seal? Shouldn't be that expensive.

I wonder why the primer bulb and those have problem since they are from Wabro, and they don't have problem with Shindaiwa, Honda and Even my Maruyama BL8100 blower which is the exact same as the Kawi KRB750. I did not include Echo because my Echo use Zema.

All my primer bulbs are still clear looking and very flexible. I am living in Kalif, I am sure we have alcohol in the gas thanks to the tree huggers.

Frontier-Lawn
09-28-2010, 06:27 PM
my replacements primers are what ever the local shop has in stock.

GlynnC
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
my replacements primers are what ever the local shop has in stock.

I buy whatever the local shops have also, but believe it or not, in the 4 or 5 years I have been maintaining the Kaw trimmers, I have not even replaced a primer bulb--a few gas lines, but no primer bulbs. This guy uses 87 octane/ethanol gas, and just about any brand of oil.

By far, the biggest problem is carboned exhaust ports, the most expensive is clutch and shaft replacement. This guy goes through a lot of line heads also--has tried the Speedfeed head and didn't like it--not at all!! As mentioned earlier, he replaces the gas cap seals occasionally, but has blaimed it on the caps being tightened to tight--I guess it could be ethanol gas.

snapper72'
09-28-2010, 07:08 PM
mx315, just out of curiosity, what is "JD" and what did you end up doing with the Kawi equipment? Did they take them in trade?

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 07:21 PM
mx315, just out of curiosity, what is "JD" and what did you end up doing with the Kawi equipment? Did they take them in trade?

I think is John Deere.

cgaengineer
09-28-2010, 08:07 PM
JD = Jack Daniels
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
JD = Jack Daniels
Posted via Mobile Device

Argue with Green-T, yes you need it!!!:laugh:

cgaengineer
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Argue with Green-T, yes you need it!!!:laugh:

Can you still buy it in barrels?
Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=kawasaki_engines&mn=KGT27A-A1+String+Trimmer+KGT27A&dn=99907-26520050

W.L.M.
09-28-2010, 10:56 PM
After seeing a good friend of mine get burned up from the leaking gas caps ill never own a kawi.

mx315
09-29-2010, 09:58 AM
John Deere. I think they are authorized Stihl dealers nation wide now. I didn't trade anything in, I plan on taking a few of them and making decent units and selling them on craigslist or something.

GlynnC
09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
After seeing a good friend of mine get burned up from the leaking gas caps ill never own a kawi.

Why would anyone allow a cap to continue leaking rather than fix the problem--it's an easy replacement? It's possible that your friend was burned the 1st time the cap leaked, and my point here is not to hit on you or your friend--it's to make a safety point--but it's really not a big deal to replace the seal, or the entire cap.

I've used just about every brand of trimmer at some point--cheap and commercial. At some point in their life, they've all leaked where the fuel line or grommet goes into the tank, my failure to get the cap on correctly or forgetting to put the cap on, bad cap seals, holes in fuel lines, holes in gas tanks, etc., etc. Leaking fuel lines is probably the number one reason consumer trimmers get sent to the dumpster--at least based on what I see for sale at garage sales!!! It's important to keep equipment maintained properly for use as well as safety, and then to operate the equipment safely.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Kawi handhelds are really high end home owner stuff. Tried one of the string trimmers and got my money back. Small gas tank and too little power.

Keith
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know what model you had, but the KGT27a is the most powerful trimmer under 14 lbs that I have ever owned. The tank doesn't seem undersized, and it definitely doesn't look like a homeowner model.

Interesting to see the pile on when it comes to Kawasaki equipment. In the past, it seemed most spoke well of the brand, with maybe one or two complaining about it. You guys came out of the woodwork for this one.

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't know what model you had, but the KGT27a is the most powerful trimmer under 14 lbs that I have ever owned. The tank doesn't seem undersized, and it definitely doesn't look like a homeowner model.

Interesting to see the pile on when it comes to Kawasaki equipment. In the past, it seemed most spoke well of the brand, with maybe one or two complaining about it. You guys came out of the woodwork for this one.

I am surprised too. Mainly on the rubber melting issue.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 01:05 PM

Kawi makes great four cycle engines for mowers and other equipment but is just a bit player in the handheld arena. The string trimmer we tried had a tank that was about 1/3rd smaller. Try a Shindaiwa 261 or older 260 and you will quickly see it will smoke the Kawi all day long. If you look around at the big companies you will see tons of Shin stuff and prety close to zero Kawi stuff.

Even Echo knows the Shin string trimmers rule the roost which is why they bought the company. Echo had great luck with blowers, and trimmers in the commercial market but Shin just kicked their azz on the string trimmers.

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Kawi makes great four cycle engines for mowers and other equipment but is just a bit player in the handheld arena. The string trimmer we tried had a tank that was about 1/3rd smaller. Try a Shindaiwa 261 or older 260 and you will quickly see it will smoke the Kawi all day long. If you look around at the big companies you will see tons of Shin stuff and prety close to zero Kawi stuff.

Even Echo knows the Shin string trimmers rule the roost which is why they bought the company. Echo had great luck with blowers, and trimmers in the commercial market but Shin just kicked their azz on the string trimmers.

Shindy is the only one that put huge tank on their trimmer, all the other brands are not that big. I heard Stihl has tiny gas tanks!!!

I don't know about the new Shindaiwa string trimmer. There are enough complains about the T242. I own the M242, but have to be fare to mention this. The Shindaiwa EB8510 was a bomb!!!

GlynnC
09-29-2010, 01:34 PM

I was trying to ignore the post above yours, but since you didn't ignore it, thought I'd chime in--as I've said in many other threads, I maintain 8 KGT27A'a and 2KGT27B's for a friend that runs 2 full time crews all year. Several of these trimmers have thousands of hours, others have several hundred hours. He runs without guards, long string, 87 octane/ethanol gas, misc. brands of oil, trims accounts on a weekly basis, and retention ponds that are only trimmed 2 or 3 times a year (almost need a chainsaw). Other than clutches, a few shafts, carboned exhaust ports, and an ocassional gas cap replacement, they have been great. Do they hold up to commercial use--these have!!!

I also maintain several Shindaiwa 270's for another guy, and yes, they have been rock solid--probably could cut down a small tree with them. Also replace clutches and drive shafts. My opinion is this is probably one of the toughest trimmers ever produced--but heavy.

If I had to carry a trimmer all day long, and I do ocassionally, I'd pick the Kaw KGT27A every time. I have 1 account that requires 3 hours non stop trimming--yes I do have to refill the gas tank a couple times--gives me a chance to go to the cooler for drinks! I own both of these trimmers, and the 270 stays in the shed unless I have a ditch with big growth, if I remember before leaving the house, I take the 270, mostly because I run it without a guard.

Why do I pick the KGT27A, it's light and has all the power I could ever want, starts easy, but then so does the 270. I've not found the need for a trimmer that carrys more gasoline, or has more power.

K/B
09-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Shindy is the only one that put huge tank on their trimmer, all the other brands are not that big. I heard Stihl has tiny gas tanks!!!

I don't know about the new Shindaiwa string trimmer. There are enough complains about the T242. I own the M242, but have to be fare to mention this. The Shindaiwa EB8510 was a bomb!!!

That's probably because there are so many T242's out there. The T242 was/is huge for Shindaiwa, perhaps one of their most popular units ever.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 02:24 PM
I was trying to ignore the post above yours, but since you didn't ignore it, thought I'd chime in--as I've said in many other threads, I maintain 8 KGT27A'a and 2KGT27B's for a friend that runs 2 full time crews all year. Several of these trimmers have thousands of hours, others have several hundred hours. He runs without guards, long string, 87 octane/ethanol gas, misc. brands of oil, trims accounts on a weekly basis, and retention ponds that are only trimmed 2 or 3 times a year (almost need a chainsaw). Other than clutches, a few shafts, carboned exhaust ports, and an ocassional gas cap replacement, they have been great. Do they hold up to commercial use--these have!!!

I also maintain several Shindaiwa 270's for another guy, and yes, they have been rock solid--probably could cut down a small tree with them. Also replace clutches and drive shafts. My opinion is this is probably one of the toughest trimmers ever produced--but heavy.

If I had to carry a trimmer all day long, and I do ocassionally, I'd pick the Kaw KGT27A every time. I have 1 account that requires 3 hours non stop trimming--yes I do have to refill the gas tank a couple times--gives me a chance to go to the cooler for drinks! I own both of these trimmers, and the 270 stays in the shed unless I have a ditch with big growth, if I remember before leaving the house, I take the 270, mostly because I run it without a guard.

Why do I pick the KGT27A, it's light and has all the power I could ever want, starts easy, but then so does the 270. I've not found the need for a trimmer that carrys more gasoline, or has more power.

I have one 270 and my guys don't like it because it weighs one pound more. They do like the seven 260's and 261's that I have currently. They complained about how many more times that had to walk back to the truck to get gas with the Kawi. That's more money out of my pocket and any business's pocket who uses them. The less powerful Kawi also slows my guys down and they complained about that as well. Working slower is more money out of your pocket when you have employee's.

If you a smart business person who has employee's and who looks at the pro's and con's of owning a piece of equipment it's hard to justify ever buying a Kawi string trimmer. If your solo and have time to kill a Kawi may not be bad.

The one drawback to the Shin string trimmers is you really need a Extreme Series rack or it's easy to damage the carb tubes that stick up past the plastic body on the 260's & 261's.

Keith
09-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I used Shindaiwa for years. Lots of them. The T230, T260, and LE260 edgers. Nothing wrong with them. I was happy with them for many years. But the KGT27a and KEL27a edger have more power and haven't proven to be any more trouble. I had more carb issues with the Shindaiwas, mainly because I haven't had any with the Kawasakis.

GlynnC
09-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, rather interestingly, I was out at the shop working on a Stihl FS80 or 85 for a guy. It was leaking gas around a fuel tank grommet. Should I assume that all Stihl trimmers are junk and are not for commercial use? Should the grommet be replaced to stop the leaking? or--should it be returned to the guy so he can use it even though it's leaking gasoline?

Yeh, I know this is a "smart ---" post, but I hope it gets the point across. Just because a person doesn't like a brand for some reason (maybe a perfectly good reason) doesn't mean it's a bad brand or it's for homeowner use only. If we all liked the same brand, we couldn't afford it because they would soon have a monopoly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rain man
09-29-2010, 04:16 PM
From the Kawasaki Power Products site:

String Trimmers: KTFR27A KGT27C KGT35A KTF27A KBL27B KBL35A KGT27B
California Trimmers: KTFR27A KBL27BC KGT35A KGT26AC KGT27C KBL35A KTF27AC

KGT27A isn't listed. Is it discontinued or just revised & renamed?

GlynnC
09-29-2010, 04:28 PM
From the Kawasaki Power Products site:

String Trimmers: KTFR27A KGT27C KGT35A KTF27A KBL27B KBL35A KGT27B
California Trimmers: KTFR27A KBL27BC KGT35A KGT26AC KGT27C KBL35A KTF27AC

KGT27A isn't listed. Is it discontinued or just revised & renamed?

It's discontinued--the next series was the B, then the C--same engines, different carbs due to EPA. I have no experience with the C, supposedly the B is more cold natured than the A. The crews that use the 8 A's and 2 B's that I maintain don't seem to notice much difference in them, but the 2 Kaw dealers in town say they have more complaints with the B model, no major problems with the newer C as of yet. Both of the dealers would buy a ton of the A models if they were still available.

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
That's probably because there are so many T242's out there. The T242 was/is huge for Shindaiwa, perhaps one of their most popular units ever.

That would be music to my ears!! I have no issue with my M242 except the choke which I bought the new choke assembly and no problem since. It is getting easier and easier to start, the other day, it was one pull cold start!!! That supprised me. Quite a few people here trashing the T242 and is very disheartening.

I have issue which gas filter sucking air and engine stalled when I use it as hedge trimmer that I hold it in many position. The filter kept getting stucked in the neck!!! I stringed two 1/;4" nut right above the filter to weight it down, it improve a lot, but still it will work itself into the neck. What is the right length of the tubing. If I fish the filter out, how many inches should it hang out of the opening?

thewall
09-29-2010, 06:38 PM
With my Kawa handhelds i found if you use Stihl oil at 30:1 and use a fuel additive from B&S Briggs & Stratton Fuel Additive - 999005E this stops the cab problems.In the user manual we get they tell us to use a fuel additve.

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM
While we are on to trashing Kawasaki, anyone has problem with their Kawi hedge trimmers? Any of the gas melting stuff, engine overheat?

Frontier-Lawn
09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
While we are on to trashing Kawasaki, anyone has problem with their Kawi hedge trimmers? Any of the gas melting stuff, engine overheat?

i have one of their 30" Single sided ones and no problems at all.

Alan0354
09-29-2010, 11:05 PM
i have one of their 30" Single sided ones and no problems at all.

That's good to hear the tubings, gaskets are not melting. I just remember a person called Deori talked about the engine over heat in the hot Las Vega's summer after 15 minutes of running.

Merkava_4
10-01-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm thinking some of you guys should have been carpenters ... electric drills and electric circular saws are a lot more dependable. :D

volvotech
10-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Sorry to hear that. My dealer support sucks for them, but I've run over my KGT27B and it still runs strong.

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking some of you guys should have been carpenters ... electric drills and electric circular saws are a lot more dependable. :D

But that would take the fun out of it!!! Electric motors?!!! How boring!!!

Merkava_4
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
But that would take the fun out of it!!! Electric motors?!!! How boring!!!

I'm thinking these LCO's need to be part LCO and part mechanic. Not LCO only. :D

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm thinking these LCO's need to be part LCO and part mechanic. Not LCO only. :D

With the cost of fixing, yes!!!

jiggz
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
im not reading threw all these pages so this has probably been said already.. but yes they flood all the time you probably have them spinning around on the trimmer racks.. if you keep them straight.. they shouldn't flood.. there the onlybrand i have ever had this problem with.. others have told me old Echos but i dunno..

it shouldn't take a half hour to start again.. they have foam air filters just ring it out and it should start right up.. its a shame because other then that problem there verry well balanced and LIGHT

because of this it got to the point i just ran them without filters.. they lasted almost 3 years from that point on, at 250 lawns a week lol.. tuff little engines