PDA

View Full Version : Looking to change equipment

The LawnRanger
09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Have looked at several machines leaning towards going to all standers or going to walk behinds never used a walk behind with sulky not sure how the ankles will like that standers only one Im familiar with is the wright. Exmark Vantage looks like a nice machine wanting the best cut and stripe I can get Any Ideas or Opinions would be helpful.

Lugnut
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
I would personally prefer to have standers than walkbehinds with sulkys, they're more comfortable to operate and much more manuverable in tight areas. If you go with hydro walkbehinds your not saving that much money by the time you get the mower and the sulky...gear drive wbs would be a different story price wise though

Lugnut
09-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I should say would prefer, I don't use either myself, although I have demo'd standers and used walkbehinds with velkes while working for a landscaper in college

The LawnRanger
09-27-2010, 11:02 PM
I demoed a Wright Stander and put it through some wicked conditions I tried every hill I could find up down sideways and I could not get it to tip wish they had a roller type stripe kit for it

SNAPPER MAN
09-27-2010, 11:10 PM
The plus to a stander is the compact size and thats about it in my opinion. The good thing about a hydro walkbehind and a sulky is that if it is wet out and the yards are soft you can take off the sulky and walk in order to save weight. I have a stander now and plan on selling it in a year or so to buy a hydro walk behind and sulky. Just my opinion.

The LawnRanger
09-27-2010, 11:13 PM
The plus to a stander is the compact size and thats about it in my opinion. The good thing about a hydro walkbehind and a sulky is that if it is wet out and the yards are soft you can take off the sulky and walk in order to save weight. I have a stander now and plan on selling it in a year or so to buy a hydro walk behind and sulky. Just my opinion.
Good Point hate to rut a customers lawn would not be good I have several customers in a neighborhood these homes are million plus that would bite

The LawnRanger
09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
I've heard some people say the sulkys are hard on the ankles personally I don't know Theres a company that makes what they call a pro slider that stripes the lawn and you ride on it they say its more forgiving on the ankles

ShooterK2
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I've heard some people say the sulkys are hard on the ankles personally I don't know Theres a company that makes what they call a pro slider that stripes the lawn and you ride on it they say its more forgiving on the ankles

I think you're talking about the Proslide.

http://www.novaecorp.com/proslide.html

I love my walk-behinds. Just traded my 48" ZTR in on a new Bob-Cat walk-behind. I want my lawns to look good, and the lighter the machine, the better. I'll even use a 21" when the time is right. But a good walk-behind is hard to beat, in my opinion. Throw a sulky on for anything but tiny properties, and get to work.

wahlturfcare
09-28-2010, 08:32 AM
i run mainly 52'' and 61'' walkbehinds and a couple 72'' walkbehinds and use proslides behind them and love them more than a rider.
With the proslide, it will help my 72'' stripe alot better and is great on rough yards as you dont feel every hole as compared to a wheeled sulky.

MOHUSTLER
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Standers are much better on the body then walk behinds. And the wrights are the best on hill sides. Scag makes a good one as well.

ed2hess
09-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Keep in mind if you have any problems with rutting those standers aren't the best. With WB you can always walk and reduce rutting. The problem is mainly seen when using these units on smaller areas. Also think about how hard it will be to service a stander. Try starting with a hydro belt change or pulley change. Everything get harder when unit is crammed up tight. It looks like the Scag V ride might be the best to service. That is the biggest seller in our area next to Wrights. Ask them how many interlocks on the machine and look at a wiring diagram to see if they are easy to trouble shoot. Our standers only have one interlock.

knox gsl
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
i run mainly 52'' and 61'' walkbehinds and a couple 72'' walkbehinds and use proslides behind them and love them more than a rider.
With the proslide, it will help my 72'' stripe alot better and is great on rough yards as you dont feel every hole as compared to a wheeled sulky.

Who even makes a 72" walkbehind, that sounds like a beast, a 60" TT seems massive when compaired to most WB's.

The LawnRanger
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Standers are much better on the body then walk behinds. And the wrights are the best on hill sides. Scag makes a good one as well.
Love the Wright Standers The Scag V-Ride is a Nice machine also Would love to see My champs Hustler come in to the Stander game with the roller Stripe kit I think they would give a run for the money

sjessen
09-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Who even makes a 72" walkbehind, that sounds like a beast, a 60" TT seems massive when compaired to most WB's.

Scag made a 72" wb at one time.

sjessen
09-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Love the Wright Standers The Scag V-Ride is a Nice machine also Would love to see My champs Hustler come in to the Stander game with the roller Stripe kit I think they would give a run for the money

I would think any manufacturer's roller stripe kit could be adapted to fit your units. Exmark and Toro have gone to polycarbonate units.

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey guys can you ride the ProSlide on concrete? I like riding my sulky out to the truck and up the trailer or if I'm making passes and its really dry I turn arouund on driveways and such, will the proslide handle concrete or would I have to fold it up, turn around and fold it back down?

Ontopic though, I love my 36" exmark. I can handle any amount of lawns and I'm right on track with my trimming guys production wise. The ONLY real problem is it does not have the instant reverse like the standers so maneuverability in tight spots sucks. Standing real tall on the standers is a gimmick I would say I can still see very well on my walk behind but I don't know which handles hills better. I have heard alot of good about standers on the hills and some bad and the forums leave me still unsure. I need to demo one. I'm looking at buying a stander in 2 years just for a bigger deck size to eventually use so my guys can have a bigger mower and eventually retire the 36" for backyard use only. Like others have said, for the price Stander over a hydro walk behind but if you're really going for price the belt drive walk behinds can be had for much less...

grassrootsnc
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Look at the Ferris evolution, snapper s75, or the Wright sentar. They are setup like a stander but have a motorcycle type seat on them to save the joints. I demoed the Ferris and really like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

The LawnRanger
10-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Leaning towards Scag V-Rides for next equipment like to get a 36 and 2 52" They say the cut quality on Scag mowers is really good