PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS80 makes my hand go numb!

GlynnC
09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
I was using my newly acquired FS80 (newer model) to edge mulch beds. After just a few minutes, my throttle hand went totally numb. Within 30 seconds of returning to normal trimming position, the feeling came back. This occurred several times in a row. I then had some heavy trimming and went to full throttle--same problem with hand going numb.

Swithched to the Kaw KGT27A, no problems for the rest of the day.

Today, I switched the gearbox and drive shaft with an older Stihl I have--same problem with numbness--apparently due to viberation.

Any fixs for this problem? I love the way the FS80 runs and hate to not have it in service!!

bohiaa
09-28-2010, 12:05 AM
this is a serious problem in out business.

if you cant get a dealer to resolve the issue, dont use this machine.

Please dont let an employee use it, you may wind up in court

StihlMechanic
09-28-2010, 12:24 AM
I believe the condition is called "blue finger", but you may want to google it. Redmax trimmers come with information on vibration in the manual, dont know about stihl for sure. Something sound like its out of balance on the trimmer, deflector off? I did a hardscape job once, using a rubber malet to install pavers and this same thing happened to me from the vibration. Told my doc about it and he said it was normal and it should go away, and it did.

ShooterK2
09-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Vibration will cause numbness, for sure. I used to ride Harleys, and the older ones vibrate. A lot. Ten miles on the highway and my hands were totally numb. I'm pretty sure that's a major cause of the mild carpel-tunnel I have now. My mowers and trimmers don't cause me numbness, however. Now, my FS130 will make my hands hurts, as will my belt drive Scag if I use it for an extended period, but no numbness. My FS100RX is much lighter, and easy on the hands.

As for a fix, I can't help ya there. Sorry.

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 01:17 AM
I was using my newly acquired FS80 (newer model) to edge mulch beds. After just a few minutes, my throttle hand went totally numb. Within 30 seconds of returning to normal trimming position, the feeling came back. This occurred several times in a row. I then had some heavy trimming and went to full throttle--same problem with hand going numb.

Swithched to the Kaw KGT27A, no problems for the rest of the day.

Today, I switched the gearbox and drive shaft with an older Stihl I have--same problem with numbness--apparently due to viberation.

Any fixs for this problem? I love the way the FS80 runs and hate to not have it in service!!

Hands are not born for working, what can I say!!!

But be that as it may, next time, you might want to consider Honda HHT25S or Husqvarna 324L trimmer with Honda engine. You cannot get smoother than that. When I switched to my Shindaiwa M242, I really thoght something wrong with the Shindaiwa until I went and try another one. The Honda engines are silk smooth, make the Shindaiwa 2 cycle a vibrating machine.

After trying that, you might give up the KGT27 without a fight!!!:laugh::laugh:

If you have tried changing the gear box and the shaft, don't sound like there is a problem with the FS80, it is normal to be like that. Do you have (corpal tunner) on your hand? I do and it is irritating, can't even play guitar anymore without feeling num on my hands. If so, talk to your doctor.

WH401
09-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I had the same issue on a FS55R that I acquired. I ended up selling it and buying a newer higher end FS90R and I don't have that issue anymore. I'd take yours to a dealer first though and see if they can find something wrong with it. The reason I just bought something new instead of trying to fix the 55 was because it's a homeowner model anyway.

GlynnC
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I had the same issue on a FS55R that I acquired. I ended up selling it and buying a newer higher end FS90R and I don't have that issue anymore. I'd take yours to a dealer first though and see if they can find something wrong with it. The reason I just bought something new instead of trying to fix the 55 was because it's a homeowner model anyway.

This is a used one that I picked up for very little cash--since I repair all my own equipment, and also for a few other guys, taking it to a Stihl dealer and paying their shop rates doesn't appeal to me--!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have my son-in-law give it a try and see if it does the same thing to him--if so, it becomes a spare engine for my old FS85 that doesn't seem to have the same problem.

GlynnC
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Hands are not born for working, what can I say!!!

But be that as it may, next time, you might want to consider Honda HHT25S or Husqvarna 324L trimmer with Honda engine. You cannot get smoother than that. When I switched to my Shindaiwa M242, I really thoght something wrong with the Shindaiwa until I went and try another one. The Honda engines are silk smooth, make the Shindaiwa 2 cycle a vibrating machine.

After trying that, you might give up the KGT27 without a fight!!!:laugh::laugh:

If you have tried changing the gear box and the shaft, don't sound like there is a problem with the FS80, it is normal to be like that. Do you have (corpal tunner) on your hand? I do and it is irritating, can't even play guitar anymore without feeling num on my hands. If so, talk to your doctor.

Friends and family have instructions to send my KGT27A with me to the grave, along with my 14.4 volt Makita drill! Sorry Alan, you cannot have it!!:laugh::laugh:

Being in the older age group, and having spent years at a desk using a computer, I'm sure I have some level of corpal tunnel, but at least for now, the Stihl FS80 seems to be the only trimmer giving me a problem. Mostly I use the KGT27A and an Echo SRM230.

I just hate to have any of my collection of trimmers that isn't available for use!

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Friends and family have instructions to send my KGT27A with me to the grave, along with my 14.4 volt Makita drill! Sorry Alan, you cannot have it!!:laugh::laugh:

Being in the older age group, and having spent years at a desk using a computer, I'm sure I have some level of corpal tunnel, but at least for now, the Stihl FS80 seems to be the only trimmer giving me a problem. Mostly I use the KGT27A and an Echo SRM230.

I just hate to have any of my collection of trimmers that isn't available for use!

Yes, FS80 is not good for you hand, I'll pay shipping!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:p

GlynnC
09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Yes, FS80 is not good for you hand, I'll pay shipping!!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:p

It's possible that I just found a solution to the apparent vibration in my new to me Stihl FS80 that was causing hand numbness. In my original post, I said that I had swaped out the gearbox, drive shaft, and string head. I decided to swap out the outside shaft--with the idea that maybe a drive shaft bushing might be missing or badly worn. Used the original drive shaft and string head, but changed outer shaft and gearbox. I could feel a difference as soon as I started it up. It had a much somoother feel to it.

I tried it for about 30 minutes, but will not really know for a couple weeks (growth has slowed here) until I mow our biggest commercial account again. I'm a part timmer and don't have many bigger accounts.

Sorry Alan, don't look for this one in the mail yet!!!!!!

Alan0354
09-28-2010, 10:08 PM
It's possible that I just found a solution to the apparent vibration in my new to me Stihl FS80 that was causing hand numbness. In my original post, I said that I had swaped out the gearbox, drive shaft, and string head. I decided to swap out the outside shaft--with the idea that maybe a drive shaft bushing might be missing or badly worn. Used the original drive shaft and string head, but changed outer shaft and gearbox. I could feel a difference as soon as I started it up. It had a much somoother feel to it.

I tried it for about 30 minutes, but will not really know for a couple weeks (growth has slowed here) until I mow our biggest commercial account again. I'm a part timmer and don't have many bigger accounts.

Sorry Alan, don't look for this one in the mail yet!!!!!!

Darn!!! I was so close!!!:laugh:

You know, I can't even buy the FS80 even if I want to in the People's Republic of Kalifornia!!!