PDA

View Full Version : 10 tuesdays to go

David Gretzmier
09-28-2010, 07:37 AM
a few of you guys know I go to BNI meetings on tuesday mornings that starts at 7am and runs til 9am. I have missed the past 2 weeks of meetings because my install guys come in at 8, and the next 10 weeks I will either miss or have to leave the meeting at 740 or so.

what this thread about is really the shortness of our sales season. It really hit home to me 10 minutes ago that the next 10 tuesdays are really it for the Christmas Light season. 98% of all the sales and install happens for us before December 10. I looked at our past few years sales posters ( I can explain that if you have not read previous threads) and we were pretty much done with new product sales by dec 10.

Think about it. 10 tuesdays from now, while you may still be fixing a bulb or timer, or magic boxing a wreath or garland, the sales season for 2010 is over.

Make you think? Every day from here on out COUNTS . no rainy do nothing days. get your postcards done. know where you are mailing them. get your signs done. get yor trucks running and graphics on them. get a car charger and stock your truck with snacks. make sure you have good instuctions in your files for jobs. Call your rehangs and ask them point blank if they want to add anything to thier jobs NOW. ask them if they want hung early NOW. I know you are afraid they will tell you they don't want it up this year. I am too. But it is WAY better to know that now than later. You will be more motivated to close jobs if you know you lost 5 rehangs this week.

example- I had a client we do 5 properties for call me this week and tell me they were selling one of thier properties, so do not install a 3300 buck rehang. You think I am more aggressive about closing new jobs this week or less?

The next 10 weeks are it. use them.

yard_smart
10-14-2010, 05:41 PM
a few of you guys know I go to BNI meetings on tuesday mornings that starts at 7am and runs til 9am. I have missed the past 2 weeks of meetings because my install guys come in at 8, and the next 10 weeks I will either miss or have to leave the meeting at 740 or so.

what this thread about is really the shortness of our sales season. It really hit home to me 10 minutes ago that the next 10 tuesdays are really it for the Christmas Light season. 98% of all the sales and install happens for us before December 10. I looked at our past few years sales posters ( I can explain that if you have not read previous threads) and we were pretty much done with new product sales by dec 10.

Think about it. 10 tuesdays from now, while you may still be fixing a bulb or timer, or magic boxing a wreath or garland, the sales season for 2010 is over.

Make you think? Every day from here on out COUNTS . no rainy do nothing days. get your postcards done. know where you are mailing them. get your signs done. get yor trucks running and graphics on them. get a car charger and stock your truck with snacks. make sure you have good instuctions in your files for jobs. Call your rehangs and ask them point blank if they want to add anything to thier jobs NOW. ask them if they want hung early NOW. I know you are afraid they will tell you they don't want it up this year. I am too. But it is WAY better to know that now than later. You will be more motivated to close jobs if you know you lost 5 rehangs this week.

example- I had a client we do 5 properties for call me this week and tell me they were selling one of thier properties, so do not install a 3300 buck rehang. You think I am more aggressive about closing new jobs this week or less?

The next 10 weeks are it. use them.

Great post man! We are hitting Holiday Lighting hard this season! Ordered yard signs today. along with 8 4x8 full color banners we will put up around town. I'm dumping alot into advertising this year for hanging lights and i am hoping like hell it pays of.

If not i will be itching for snow early! lol

David Gretzmier
10-14-2010, 11:29 PM
yard signs by far offer you the most bang for your buck. but they need to look nice and be readable from the car. Christmas lights installed, phone number, 24x24 , two sided with stakes, about 1000 bucks for 250. we get about 40 leads and 15 jobs from those.

we use 20 ounce color banners from colorful-hut stretched tight on our boxvans. they have held up fine for a year, even with a few tree branch scratches, and you can't beat the price, about 300 bught and shipped total for both sides on a 7 foot by 14 foot boxvan. add 100 bucks for zip ties, d rings, 1/2 inch conduit and ratchet straps, it looks just like vinyl graphics that costs 2-3 grand. for that 400 bucks for each of our 3 boxvans we will get probably 15-25 leads and close 5-10 of those.

after that, the rest of the advertising gets kinda expensive and smoky- 200 per month on 3 different phone books with small 1/2 inch ads, 600 per year or so on web site and 600 per year on service magic.com, and of course referrals, a few grand on postcards, rounds out the rest of the leads and jobs. I also try to experiment every year with a new medium or idea, but it rarely pans out. all those combined get me about 25-30 leads and 8-10 new jobs.

while my dream would be to drop the last ctegory and expense entirely, they do reinforce the first two. many 40plus year old folks simply will not hire anyone that does not have a yellow page listing. it is credibility. also, inversely, many 40 and younger folks will not hire anyone without a google ranking or easily found website, period. it is the only way they hire folks. postcards also reinforce truck graphics branding and build my landscape light business as well.

David Gretzmier
10-14-2010, 11:31 PM
and to continue the thoughts on this thread, we only have 7 tuesdays left in the selling season, about 50 days. make them count. call people back. put out signs now. mail postcards now. get your trucks done now.

meets1
10-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Never thought about tuesdays like that. I am advertising heavy but gee I need a few jobs to pay advertising back and then some. A few calls, two jobs, but nothing to jump for joy for. We'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks.

David Gretzmier
11-07-2010, 11:21 PM
5 more tuesdays left you can count on selling a job. but really, the next 4 are the biggies. the 5th one, is Dec 7th, and the selling season is pretty much done by then. it seems like I started this thread just a few days ago, yet here we are with about 30 days left in the prime selling season.

I know I am usually some sort of freaky Christmas cheerleader, but the rants are the same-

return those phone calls quick
get those yard signs out.
mail the postcards now.
order spare bulbs and mini-lights now.