PDA

View Full Version : Used Trailers

Woodland
09-28-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is the "right" place to post this, but I figure you guys have more experience with trailers than anybody, so here goes.

I want to buy a used trailer, somewhere in the 4x8 to 5x10 range to carry my walk-behind liquid sprayer, rotary spreader and bags of fertilizer for my very small lawn fertilizer route (4 properties, 1/2 days work). I would really be needing it until next season so a fixer-upper would be fine with me. My only requirements are a drop down ramp gate a solid, rust-free frame and probably some good tires (although I could deal with out for the right price). I would be more than happy to replace a deck and/or rewire the electrical. It could be a good winter project.

In my search, I have come across craigslist listing for one that may work. It is only 4'x6' which may prove to be a bit too small. At any rate, it is a StrongBox or WorkSport trailer from Home Depot. It was bought in '08 when they were supposedly made by Pace American. They aren't listed on the HD website, so I don't know what they sold for new but the seller is asking only $200. Are these trailers any good at all? It almost seems that for $200 I would be ok if I only get a couple of seasons out of it. Any thoughts?

J-Man
09-28-2010, 08:41 AM
While the size may be good, don't overlook the weight limit. Be sure it can hold the weight of the machine plus fertilizer.

mowerbrad
09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Tractor Supply has brand new trailers for fairly cheap. You can get a 4x7 for $549 or a 4x8 for $699.

These small trailers aren't really too easy to come across as they really aren't that popular. Usually homeowners will buy them and use them until they start falling apart. And I doubt most homeowners maintain them very well.

GBD
09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
$200 dosen't sound unreasonable to me. Does it need any kind of work at all? Very good idea though to make sure it is going to haul all the weight from your equipment thougth. The toungs on the lighter trailers normally arn't designed to support much weight.

bltp203
09-28-2010, 01:17 PM
If the trailer is in decent condition then the price seems right.....and that is only the asking price......then maybe you could still shave some $$$ off and make that much better of a deal.

FLAhaulboy
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
http://worksporttrailers.com/4x6open.php

4X6 trailer:

Overall Length 9'5"
Overall Width 5'4"
Box Length 6'0"
Box Width 4'1"
Tailgate Height 38"
Tailgate Capacity 1000 lb
Hitch Ball Size 2"
Tire Size 12" Bias
Curb Weight 350 lb
Hitch Weight 45 lb
GVWR 1990 lb
Payload Capacity 1640 lb
Floor Expanded Metal
Safety Chains Yes

Lugnut
09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Think of a sheet of plywood...then subtract 2 feet...will this size trailer be of any use to you?

h2oskier
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
If the trailer you are speaking of has a 2" coupler and a 3500 lb axle you should be in the ballpark, now if its got the 1200 lb axle i could see where you may overload it, but all in all $200 for a trailer that is in somewhat good condition is a steal.