PDA

View Full Version : rear discharge

head_start
09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
in your opinion, which of these brands make the best rear discharge deck mower.
1. John Deere
2. Ferris
3. Kabota
I am starting the looking process because my current "equipment" will not be lasting all that much longer.
What are the pros and cons of the rear discharger? i like the two trimming edges, but what else is good about them? what are the problems?
and im guessing this is an under discussed topic becuase the search didn't reveal much.

Richard Martin
09-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I've never had one but the reports I've heard over the years tends to be more inclined towards a poor discharge from most of those types of mowers. It doesn't look as nice as a side discharge does.

mbrew
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I looked into it a while back and didn't find an awful lot of information. Most of what I read was on Kubota and their operators weren't thrilled with it overall. It apparently left windrows on one side. I did find a couple of comments that indicated Hustler had the best thing going. Apparently they turn one blade in the reverse direction and that helps even out the discharge. I could find very littler detail about it though. I don't remember seeing anything on Ferris or JD's decks.

I think the rear discharge with some type of mulch on demand system would be very nice to have, and I think a MOD system would be easier to accomplish well on a rear discharge.

Mowingman
09-28-2010, 01:41 PM
None of the brands you listed have a rear discharge deck that is worth a darn. All leave a terrible looking cut, UNLESS, you are only taking off a tiny little bit of short growth and the grass is dry.
Any other mowing conditions and it looks like you cut it with a brush hog and left windrows.
The ONLY rear discharge that has a nice cut is the Grasshopper rear discharge deck. It has a unique design with a 4th blade that is designed to spread out the clippings at the rear of the deck. This deck will almost always give a fairly nice looking cut. It will still show a windrow some, if the grass is really tall and you are cutting a lot off in wet conditions.
My advice: NEVER buy a rear discharge deck until you have mowed with that specific model of deck, on your properties, in average to heavy mowing conditions.

retrodog
09-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree with mowingman. The finished cut looks like crap unless you are barely mowing grass. I would go with a full mulch system with a high hp engine if you need a closed deck, you will get alot better cut result. If it is just industrial right of ways and stuff that don't require a nice finished cut buy a rear....

rwaters
09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I looked into it a while back and didn't find an awful lot of information. Most of what I read was on Kubota and their operators weren't thrilled with it overall. It apparently left windrows on one side. I did find a couple of comments that indicated Hustler had the best thing going. Apparently they turn one blade in the reverse direction and that helps even out the discharge. I could find very littler detail about it though. I don't remember seeing anything on Ferris or JD's decks.

I think the rear discharge with some type of mulch on demand system would be very nice to have, and I think a MOD system would be easier to accomplish well on a rear discharge.

Try it out, the Hustler rear discharge from what I have seen has a great cut, so far your reply's are all from guys who have never used one. They are rare mowers at this time so it might be hard to get a demo but if I was fielding a mowing crew right now I would be using a rear discharge system.

retrodog
09-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Try it out, the Hustler rear discharge from what I have seen has a great cut, so far your reply's are all from guys who have never used one. They are rare mowers at this time so it might be hard to get a demo but if I was fielding a mowing crew right now I would be using a rear discharge system.

If you look around on youtube you can see videos of rear discharge cutting, especially overseas, some countries only use rear discharge decks...

Mickhippy
09-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Guys use a Hustler RD machine and a Scag TT. You can definitely see which mower they used and where. The RD Hustler looks cr@p with windrows.
Only time an RD machine is needed is if working besides roads etc where finish isnt important.
A friend had a JD977 with RD deck. He had major problems with over heating. Clippings etc would cover the radiator screen really quickly. He would have to triple cut or more to get a good finish when theres any length on the grass.

In Europe you can get Hustler and Scags with flail decks, check it out...
Heres the Hustler...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3CffLBGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPyzUOC5iQ

The mayor
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I also believe grasshopper midmount has a option of rear discharge.

Mowingman
09-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes they do. Read my post above. I described it there.

I also believe grasshopper midmount has a option of rear discharge.