PDA

View Full Version : $7500 mower comparison thread

hammmerhead
09-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Im looking for a new mower to take over a small residential rental project. 25-30 homes on roughly .35-.50 acres each. I have been reading several mower comparisons here, but it seems like no one brings any substance to the table, just a bunch of brand bickering. Please, lets try and keep this thread to just the facts about the wear items excluding engines. Lets talk about pumps and drives, spindles, frames, decks, etc. Lets keep the purchase limit at $7500.00

I have been looking at Bob Cat, Gravely and BB. It seems these three have the most reasonable pricing for the hardware you get and that is what I am looking for. Thanks for your input.

MONTE
09-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Not sure which model you are looking at but between those three BOBCAT for sure. If you have a good dealer.

Bagit
09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Bobcat Procat seems to be a good value. 12cc pumps. 24x12 drive tires. Maintenance free spindles. There seems to be a clumping issue from a few on here about the cut in thick wet grass though. It does have a 'versa-flo' adjustable deck opening for cutting in all grass and conditions, so maybe some of this is operator error.

retrodog
09-28-2010, 02:11 PM
The BB Outlaw is my favorite for the price. 5400 tranny, 31hp kawasaki, 14.5 gas tanks, 24x12x10 tires, stouter deck frame and front forks, adjustable lip on the deck, internal wet disc brake, planetary gears with piston pump and motor. It takes hills better than anything I have been on, and it cuts fantastically. Low profile, lots of leg room. 54" $7499, and not just cause I sell them, in fact I have one sitting at my house if that tells you anything. I have yet to find a mower that can get close to touching it for $7500....lol its like its not fair. You are looking at a $11500 machine with these options on the other brands that are releasing this mower set up this year.

You could also get the lightning for around that price too. It has the 26hp Liquid-Cooled kawasaki, easy ride system (rubber shocks and flexible axle system) with the michigan seat standard, 12cc parker pumps, 9 quart hydro system, 1/4 inch deck. If you are tired of getting beat up on a mower the lightning is the way to go for the ride.....

MOHUSTLER
09-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Take a look at Snapper Pro if you have a dealer near. They are a great machine and cut amazing. They have the 5400 trans. And many engine options. They sell around $7,000. The cut is what sells them though.

MOHUSTLER
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I jsut saw your from the ozarks, MONTEE talks high of the bobcats there. And they are also a great mower for the price. Give them a look if you get a chance also.

rwaters
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I would take pumps and wheel motors over an integrated system any day. I might be a pessimist but every time I see this new improved integrated drive they run into problem soon.

Also in hydrolics heat is what destroys them(thats why some run hydro coolers) and the 5400 transmission has very little hydro oil and no coolers.

Pumps and wheel motors have been the standard for a long time, I would go that until the 5400s have been proven(I have a feeling hills will kill them)

MOHUSTLER
09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I would take pumps and wheel motors over an integrated system any day. I might be a pessimist but every time I see this new improved integrated drive they run into problem soon.

Also in hydrolics heat is what destroys them(thats why some run hydro coolers) and the 5400 transmission has very little hydro oil and no coolers.

Pumps and wheel motors have been the standard for a long time, I would go that until the 5400s have been proven(I have a feeling hills will kill them)

I thought the same thing. And im still not 100% sold on them. But we have sold many units with these hydros in them and no failures yet to date. So I guess thats proof so far. The most hours any of my customers have on the 5400's is around 650, and still running strong.

hammmerhead
09-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Cool. Lots of great info coming in here. Thanks everyone. I had no idea the Outlaw had an integrated pump/drive. I think the BB Pup series has the separate drive/pump setup although it may not be as heavy duty as the 5400 setup. Either way Im sure both would be plenty strong for my residential cutting. I didnt elaborate much on what I was needing, but I am thinking a 50-54" deck will be as big as I can go. I like the higher HP engines, but I am worried that (example) a 31 horse Kawa engine may drink too much fuel and be overkill for what I need. Is there a big difference in the fuel usage of a 30 horse Kohler compared to a 31 horse Kawa engine? Seems to me 24-27 horse engine would be big enough for me. Im really liking the Bobcat, BB and the Gravely. I see the Gravelys alot with the commercial guys around here and the city uses Bob Cat. Im an hour away from the BB factory, so its a tough decision Im gonna have to make.

MONTE
09-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Ok bad boy has what is it a 1 yr. warranty on the frame. Not sure on the forks. Bobcat is lifetime on the deck frame and deck for that matter.

kilgoja
09-28-2010, 11:03 PM
i got my hustler z4 for that price.... 54" cut 25hp kawasaki...12cc pumps