PDA

View Full Version : question for gravely dealers

watsmi57
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I am trying to buy a Pro Turn 252. I have found one online for $7400. My local dealer is about $1k higher than that and isn't budging. He said he would loan me a machine when mine was down. I would get good repair and warranty service...etc...etc. As long as the machine is under warranty doesn't he have to work on it anyway? I realize he will put me behind his customers but he's gotta fix the machine right? I'm not worried about not having a loaner available, I have other mowers. I would rather buy local but $1k is a big difference. What do you guys think?

Bagit
09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
First of all, he should come down some (at least a little) if he wants to make a sale.

Would you jump on $8,000 and a Free mulch kit installed?

mowerknower
09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Gravely equipment must be set up and safety checked (per Gravely dealer aggreement) so unless the place you ordered it from, uncrated it, set it up, safety checked it then recrated it and shipped it they are breaking the dealer aggreement.
So I would say that Gravely would more likely side with your closest dealer and say it is his option if he wants to perform warranty work or not.
Thats what we do

MOturkey
09-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Personally, I think people worry too much about the initial cost of equipment. I"m all for saving money, but I would never purchase new equiipment online just to save a few dollars, when the same item is available locally from a reputable dealer. The aggravation, if something does go wrong, woud make $1,000 seem cheap, to me.

mowandblow1980
09-28-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree with moturkey. You buy online who knows what probs your going to have. Plus is that $1k cheaper include shipping? And even if a dealer is required to fix a warranty you'll be placed at the bottom of the list. Who knows if it happens during the busy part of the season how long you could be down.

gebby
09-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I was shopping on line and comparing prices. I had a price in mind that I found on line for new Gravely. Not wanting to beat my dealer down. I asked how they could be cheaper on line. He asked me what the model number was. At the time all I knew was size of deck motor size and what have you. He gave me a flyer with up to date information. The one I was looking at in his shop and on line were not the same model number. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. The other thing is if you have the machine and use for 2,000 hours that's .50 cents an hour. Is the trade off in wondering how your service will get done really worth it? My dealer has become one of my greatest fans. I need my dealer close by. Only you can decide. Good luck with your purchase.

watsmi57
09-28-2010, 09:40 PM
the $7400 price is shipping and everything (no tax out of state). my dealer here is at $7900 plus tax.

Bagit - I would just buy the mulch kit seperately and install it myself.

The real kicker here is I was pricing TWO machines not just one. The pro turn 252 is a definite but I also am looking for a Gravely Pro Walk 36 fixed deck Hydro. His price on the 36 was $4200. I have also found that one cheaper online.

I understand the need for having the dealer on 'my' team but he needs to play ball too. IF he had said package deal at $12k I probably would have bought.

local Dealer: $7900+$4200 = 12,100 plus tax = $12,947

online: 7400+3800 = 11,200 total no shipping, no tax.

Difference of $1747

dtc0207
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
You own a business right, then you should want to support your local dealer. As a dealer I love to hear how you come on here complain about lowballs but what everything given to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

gebby
09-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Looking at my flyer from earler in the summer. I see model # 992184 pro turn 252 26 hp kaw fx v-twin sale price 7,799.00

Also,model # 988140 pro-walk 36hr fx,hydro drive 15 hp kaw. sale price 4,499.00

What I was looking at on line was a Pro turn 260 and what my dealer had was a Pro Master 260 that is 1,000.00 more but built a lot heavier.

I don't know your dealer but, knowing mine from the deals he has given me from the past, he may not meet the on line price but he has always worked with me and, he knows that I buy everything from him and, that I know the current market. Again please make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. Motors, hydro pumps and what have you. Again good luck with your purchace. All I have is Gravely's. I think they are very good. Just so you know my dealer is less than a mile from my home so, yes that does make a difference when its time to buy my equipment.

watsmi57
09-28-2010, 10:31 PM
You own a business right, then you should want to support your local dealer. As a dealer I love to hear how you come on here complain about lowballs but what everything given to you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I own a business that's why I am going to invest my money wisely. If the local dealer was only say $500-700 more it might be a different story. I don't want things given to me. I want to pay for them, but common sense says why pay $8453 for a pro turn 252 when I can get it for $7400.

watsmi57
09-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Looking at my flyer from earler in the summer. I see model # 992184 pro turn 252 26 hp kaw fx v-twin sale price 7,799.00

Also,model # 988140 pro-walk 36hr fx,hydro drive 15 hp kaw. sale price 4,499.00

yes those are exactly the two mowers I am looking at. They are apples for apples the same mowers online or locally. It sounds like your dealer is pretty close to my local dealer with pricing.

I like Gravely too. I think you get more machine for your money.

gebby
09-28-2010, 11:23 PM
yes those are exactly the two mowers I am looking at. They are apples for apples the same mowers online or locally. It sounds like your dealer is pretty close to my local dealer with pricing.

I like Gravely too. I think you get more machine for your money.

sent you a pm

MOturkey
09-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm guessing here, but it is my assumption that those lower online prices are because the dealer is working on a voume basis. Did you ever think that perhaps if everyone supported the local guy, that perhaps his volume would warrrant giving better prices? Just something to think about.

rwaters
09-28-2010, 11:52 PM
the $7400 price is shipping and everything (no tax out of state). my dealer here is at $7900 plus tax.

Bagit - I would just buy the mulch kit seperately and install it myself.

The real kicker here is I was pricing TWO machines not just one. The pro turn 252 is a definite but I also am looking for a Gravely Pro Walk 36 fixed deck Hydro. His price on the 36 was $4200. I have also found that one cheaper online.

I understand the need for having the dealer on 'my' team but he needs to play ball too. IF he had said package deal at $12k I probably would have bought.

local Dealer: $7900+$4200 = 12,100 plus tax = $12,947

online: 7400+3800 = 11,200 total no shipping, no tax.

Difference of $1747

I know I am going to get shot down here but you are still responsible for paying the taxes on your mower. If you read your tax return it asks if you bought anything out of state that you need to declare, and a mower you are writing off might be something you want to declare on your taxes.

I am not an attorney nor a CPA but I can read my tax return and have heard of customers getting caught with this.

So basically your saving $500(if you want to stay legal) is it worth it.

watsmi57
09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm guessing here, but it is my assumption that those lower online prices are because the dealer is working on a voume basis. Did you ever think that perhaps if everyone supported the local guy, that perhaps his volume would warrrant giving better prices? Just something to think about.

everyone supports the local guy. He has 5 stores in 5 cities. my line of thinking if I was him would be: Sell the mowers at cost if he has to because he knows he is gonna get all my service work.

dtc0207
09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
"I have local dealer support for Snapper, Grasshopper, Exmark, Toro, Cub Cadet, John Deere and Gravely. I know I need local dealer support so I need to stay within these brands. Most of the guys in my area (and there are a lot of them, very competitive here) run Exmark ZTR's. Mostly I believe this is based on great dealer support. I am having a hard time swallowing $8k-10k for a commercial mower even though I know they are built to last. I know guys that have 3000 hours on their machines and haven't done anything but regular maintenance."

This was qouted from you very first post on lawnsite you said back then for a reason, why now would you think a $1000. is worth losing the support. As dealer I know we give our commercial accounts a great deal on parts and labor so ask you may find give it up front but get it back down the rd

watsmi57
09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
rwaters good point about the taxes...will have to ask my CPA about that...and if it was only 500 more at my local dealer I would buy from him.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
They are suppose to. However, you buy a new Toro or Exmark in my area not from the dealer and see if they will honor the warranty, they will tell you right fast like they are in no hurry to get to it if they even get to it at all. The 1000 bucks you saved will not be worth it even though I think your dealer could budge a little. The first time yours needs work and you get behind without the loaner the 1000 will seem mute.
BTW, what part of south Ga are you in?

watsmi57
09-29-2010, 04:07 PM
yeah that's what I am worried about. I can get by without the loaner I have other mowers . I might even be ok with being in the back of the service line as long as it gets done at some reasonable point not 2-3 months later.

retrodog
09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
rwaters good point about the taxes...will have to ask my CPA about that...and if it was only 500 more at my local dealer I would buy from him.

Hey, the positive to buying out of state, is that you don't have to pay city and county taxes, it is just a "use" tax then. Even doing it legally you do save a little on taxes...

C4chris70
09-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, like I did. I paid $400 more for my Prostance from my local dealer when another dealer 40 miles away called with a much cheaper price while I was at my local dealer. I chose to purchase from my local dealer and pay more to support him and have the convenience of dealing with a dealer that is close by. Right after I bought the machine my local dealer dropped the gravely line, so now I need to drive 40 miles for parts and service. :hammerhead:

waters lawn care
09-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Just recently gravely went down idler pulley failure. Machine out of warranty with no parts on hand at time local dealer says no prob takes part off of showroom model to get me back to mowing. Guess where my next gravely will come from!
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey, the positive to buying out of state, is that you don't have to pay city and county taxes, it is just a "use" tax then. Even doing it legally you do save a little on taxes...

City and County tax? even in the ones that have it I have never heard of more then 1/4 Percent... that is not worth even bothering looking out of state.

tmetz
09-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Just wanted to ad I got the pro 152 and the mower kicks ass. Lol I know it's off topic sorta but this mower has been the best machine + made in America :)
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
09-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Yea, like I did. I paid $400 more for my Prostance from my local dealer when another dealer 40 miles away called with a much cheaper price while I was at my local dealer. I chose to purchase from my local dealer and pay more to support him and have the convenience of dealing with a dealer that is close by. Right after I bought the machine my local dealer dropped the gravely line, so now I need to drive 40 miles for parts and service. :hammerhead:

the guy you bought the mower from does not support a unit they sold? that is screwed up.... the shop I used to work in before I opened up mine dropped Great Dane over a decade ago but we still bent over backwards trying to support them, still do. In fact we have parts for them in my shop, as I promised the guys I would take care of the mowers, and I never sold them out of here.