PDA

View Full Version : Is this the worst drought..

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 12:15 AM
...you have encountered or can recall?

I've only been back up north for 4 years.. so for me this is the worst.

Two years ago it was a hot and dry summer.. but not this bad.

There have been 40 heat related deaths (record) here so far.. and I think they said 17 more days (than last year?) in the 90's.

KirbysLawn
08-13-2002, 12:58 AM
Here, yes I think it is.

strickdad
08-13-2002, 01:38 AM
i agree with ray, im in my late 30s and i have talked with the older folks , and no one can remember it being worse around here.

Neighbor2NV
08-13-2002, 01:43 AM
Great...... What a first year at this lawn thing :(:cry:

KirbysLawn
08-13-2002, 01:56 AM
For those not in this area you might not understand how bad it really is. Here in my county 70% of all corn crops are gone. Most lakes have dried up, some areas water pressure is soo bad the head on the sprinklers will not pop up.

http://www.gorowan.com/dryspell/mvc-008.jpg

KirbysLawn
08-13-2002, 02:01 AM
The lake in the photo is no small pond, here are 2 photos of it full:

http://www.gorowan.com/hr_boatramps/whitney.jpg
http://www.gorowan.com/hr_boatramps/high_rock_lake.jpg

jrblawncare
08-13-2002, 05:02 AM
Not much better here in central KY....the only thing that saved us was a very wet spring......as of June 1 st. until now we are about 4 inches below normal.We have not cut some of our lawns in over 3 weeks !! The trees are stressing big time....looks like fall in some areas.JOHN

turfdog21
08-13-2002, 07:48 AM
I tried to tell you...........................during the "hundred days of death"....It's not what you do, it's what you don't do.

Garry

awm
08-13-2002, 08:05 AM
new buisiness . bringing in bottled at water . sell at any price u want to.
a double dose o this, an thats a reality
here in this area.
:(

4 Saisons
08-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
[B]Most lakes have dried up, some areas water pressure is soo bad the head on the sprinklers will not pop up.

just a tought, but it might not be better keep the water for a more essential usage.

Since drought is worst years after years, all this watering is subtential lost of the underground water by evaporation.

All this may lead to drinkable water shortage in a close future.

SIG
08-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Hey Tom,
Have you seen Liberty Resevoir? It is getting really bad. It's times like these that I am glad I have another job!

summitgroundskeeping
08-13-2002, 01:52 PM
This is at least one of the worst we're experiencing. I remember a few years ago we had a bad one, but everything is dead, stressed, or extremely slow growing. Been in the 90's almost all summer w/ 100+ heat indexes. We had little snow this winter and a cold spring then litterally one day "boom" super high temps.

But in this game you have to know how to roll with the punches and weather is a big right hook.

summitgroundskeeping
08-13-2002, 01:55 PM
Have accounts we do per month now...:cry: :cry: :cry:

SLS
08-13-2002, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Garry, "you told us"......

.....but I do not recall your telling our frugal customers who also live in "water restricted" areas. Some people face heavy fines if caught watering the lawn or washing their automobiles in the more severely drought-affected areas.

Oh, yeah...we need better clients..that was it ..wasn't it??? :rolleyes:

I wish the whole world could, or would, water their lawns...but as they say "we do not live in a perfect world" now do we???

KirbysLawn
08-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by turfdog21
I tried to tell you...........................during the "hundred days of death"....It's not what you do, it's what you don't do.

Garry

Garry, please explain something. How are lawns to stay green if they have no water for 4 months? I dont care what you, I , or anyone else does, if the grass is getting no water then brown is the color of choice.

I still have a few nice green lawns, but water restrictions are so tight now that they have also stopped watering. Even the thickest lawns are starting to show stress now. April, May, June, July and now August have been record months, both in heat and lack of rain. In july 23 days the temp was >90 and many >95 degrees, this months no different, yesterday 97 and today expected to be 97.

4 Saisons , that was before the restrictions, now watering is limited to M-W-F from 4a-6a, that's it. Why bother, I agree I would rather be able to take a bath.

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 03:09 PM
SIG.. It's beyond getting bad... It's pathetic!

I'm getting nervous.. wondering when my customers are going to start questioning their bills.

SIG
08-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Hey Tom,
I will keep on my eye out for any work you may want. Hang in there Buddy. My 2nd year when I did this Full-time was very similiar, of course I didn't have a house then, but I survived.
Good Luck,
Sig

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks SIG.

Richard Martin
08-13-2002, 04:34 PM
TSG wrote:

I'm getting nervous.. wondering when my customers are going to start questioning their bills.

Tom,
I've actually got a few customers who are starting to realize that the lawn guy (me) isn't making a whole lot of money right now. I bill per cut. I showed up at 2 lawns today and the homeowners came out when I got there. Neither lawn needed anything done but the homeowner said just go ahead and run it over anyway and keep doing it every 2 weeks. When I asked why they said they know that things are bad right now and they know I have bills to pay just like everybody else. Guess who's getting the gift certificates to Outback Steak House with their Christmas card this year.

KirbysLawn
08-13-2002, 05:21 PM
I can see Gary has had it bad, here are some numbers to compare:

TOTALS FOR PVD
HIGHEST TEMPERATURE 95
TOTAL PRECIP 0.62 (more rain than we have had in 2 months)
LOWEST TEMPERATURE 59
TOTAL SNOWFALL 0.0
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE 77.1
NORMAL PRECIP 3.90
DEPARTURE FROM NORM +3.7
% OF NORMAL PRECIP 16
HEATING DEGREE DAYS 0
NORMAL DEGREE DAYS 9

TOTALS FOR CLT
HIGHEST TEMPERATURE 96
TOTAL PRECIP trace
LOWEST TEMPERATURE 56
TOTAL SNOWFALL 0.0
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE 78.7
NORMAL PRECIP 3.72
DEPARTURE FROM NORM -1.2
% OF NORMAL PRECIP 0
HEATING DEGREE DAYS 0
NORMAL DEGREE DAYS 0

Bob Minney
08-13-2002, 06:37 PM
We are dealing with the worst drought in 100 years here.
13 months straight of below average percipitation, with no change in sight.
watering restrictions have slowed growth to almost nothing
Everybody I talk to has customers going to 2 week cycle.
Lots of LCO trucks sitting idle in driveways
Will be doing lots of reno's this fall & next spring. Also lots of tree and shrub damage.

Brickman
08-13-2002, 08:54 PM
For my area this is year three of the worst drought since records have been kept. And a fourth year is expected. Water restrictions have not been forced here, just the city asked for voluntary restrictions, and to not water during the day. Guess WHO is the biggest violator of watering in the day. THE CITY PARKS. DUH. :rolleyes: :dizzy: The city has said that water restrictions will be FORCED next year if this keeps up.
One of the reasons that I sold my biz when I had a buyer. I could see what would happen when restrictions were forced. Little to no work.
We had a few showers the last week or so, but things are so dry that that soon disapeared. A friend dug some 3' post holes a few weeks ago. Poweder dry the whole way down.

Over in NE along I 80 there are huge swaths of dead trees. Looks bad.

Hoosier Mower
08-13-2002, 09:49 PM
We finally got some good rain today here in Indiana, suppose to rain again tommorow. Good thing, was getting tired of mowing dust.