PDA

View Full Version : PITA gas cans..

Expert Lawns
08-13-2002, 09:05 AM
i have 2 spare gas cans. one mixed one regular. i am having trouble with them, they constantly spill when they are even half full. i'm wasting gas and not to mention the fumes and smell. i've tried closing both the vent and the cap, but just releasing the pressure a few times a day, but its a pain to do it. anyone have/had this problem? i could use some tips thanks :confused:

MPhillips
08-13-2002, 09:09 AM
I guess your problem is the spilling of fuel, and not the pressure release issue. Can't you just bungee them in an upright position? or secure them in some manner?

Ryan Lightning
08-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Are you leaving the vent open to keep the presure from building up? I take a very small drill bit and drill a hole in the vent, it works for me.

Expert Lawns
08-13-2002, 12:24 PM
yes i'm leaving the vent open to relieve the pressure. the cans stand straight up and don't need to be bungeed down. the problem is when i hit a bump, the gas sloshes around and spurts out of the vent. but if i leave it closed, the can looks like is about to burst.

gvandora
08-13-2002, 04:24 PM
Heads up guys, OSHA changed the rules. Plastic cans are now forbidden on trucks and trailers. We're supposed to use the metal self closing safety cans. They just changed over to them at the company I work for. They have about 20 crews x 2 cans each. So for them to make that investment, its pretty important. The safety cans are metal and shaped like pancake aircompressors with a flat bottom. There is a carrying handle across the top. The spout has a spring loaded flap that you pull back. When not being pulled back the spring keeps it sealed shut in case it falls over or rolls out of the truck. Keep it safe guys.

Barker's Lawn Care
08-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Hey Expert Lawns, you may consider this. It looks like it would work great but, i've never used them. (saw it at expo 02)

www.no-spill.com (http://www.no-spill.com)

MPhillips
08-14-2002, 08:08 AM
those cans look kind of neat...OSHA reqs don't kick in until a company has over 10 employees so they probably don't apply to you at this point.

Ryan Lightning
08-14-2002, 10:55 AM
They pulled all plastic gas cans off the shelfs, in CA! They said they blow up. Maybe theyll just redesign the plastic ones? Are youre stuck paying the $50 the metal cans that I saw were.:eek:

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-14-2002, 06:05 PM
I think OSHA has diff levels of regulations. From what I was told certain regs are effective even for one man operations.. And DOT also requires the metal saftey cans.. Once you get one youll know why and wont use plastic again. Gemplers has them for like $35.00 for the 5 gal and they even come in yellow and blue..

Hodge
08-15-2002, 10:24 AM
I went thru the same thing the can looks like it will explode. I drilled a sm hole in the vent cap as mentioned by Ryan Lightning.

BTW what did they replace the plastic cans with or have they yet?

John Allin
08-15-2002, 12:28 PM
OSHA regs apply to all business's that have employees. Blow up a plastic one and hurt somebody and you'll find out first hand. Or, if some erstwhile employee complains to OSHA and gets their attention, you'll find out just how much power OSHA has......

Type I cans are expensive, but much less expensive than the fines that come with an accident where it can be proven that you used plastic cans. And, less heartache than going to the hospital to visit the guy who used to work next to you, in the burn unit with his face swelled up 5 times it's normal size..... The 5 gallon cans can be purchased for under $40 each (mail order), and you'll never have to replace them, drill holes in them (why do people always think that "altering" something makes it better??), or worry about sloshing gas spills.

Time to join the ranks of real business's and do what is safe for yourself and employees. Invest in the right cans.....

Sloshing gas coming thru a vent hole is not safe for anyone, including you.

I'm constantly amazed by employees who fill mowers with gas while having a cancer stick hanging from their mouth..... (let's see just how dumb we can be...)

Darryl G
08-16-2002, 01:17 AM
I believe John is correct, OSHA applies to all businesses that have employees. However, because my business has no employees, OSHA does not apply.

One caution about leaving vents open - be very careful when setting the can down as gas can squirt out the hole into your eyes if you put it down too hard.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-16-2002, 03:54 AM
you mean i have to put out my cigar when filling up the trimmer. na......:)

John Allin
08-16-2002, 08:00 AM
Darryl's got it right, but c'mon guys..... geezz, the MOST important dude in your "organization" (be it small or large) is YOU. Do everything you can to promote your OWN safety too !!!

For $40/$45 you get a can you'll not have to replace. No-body steals cans like that (for the most part - although people will, unfortunately, steal just about anything, huh??), and you'll be able to avoid telling your kids that "Yeah, I shoulda gotten me one of dem cans while I could still see and before the vent hole speuwed out dat der gas-o-lene right into ma eyes".....

PLEASE... don't compromise your own safety just because the cap has a spring loaded return on it.....

I've seen someone in the burn unit (a loved one) suffer months of pain from doing something stupid with gasoline..... it's not pretty and the pain is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy.....

65hoss
08-16-2002, 08:29 AM
Are the spring loaded caps the ones you twist open, then insert into the fuel filler neck and push the can down to get the fuel to start flowing. Then when you lift up, it shuts the fuel off.???

John Allin
08-16-2002, 11:39 AM
This is what we use in our operation (exclusively for all crews for all types of gas, including mixed fuels)... although we use the smaller ones for the mixed fuels....

http://www.omarksafety.com/category.cfm/acatid-91-aprodid-830-Justrite_5_Gallon_Type_I_Can_w_Funnel.cfm

dr grass
08-16-2002, 01:56 PM
expert - sounds like your not using the 5 - gallon cans. i use them, and i never have a problem with them spilling. a rubber mat on the bed of your truck also will help keep things from moving around. hope this helps!

shep...

SCAPEASAURUSREX
08-16-2002, 04:48 PM
John, I use very similar ones, Made by Eagle.. The diff is they have a separate handle to carry the can and from holding that handle you reach your finger out and pull another one to open the fuel cap... They are in the same price range.. And I have seen them in other colors like yellow and blue too...