PDA

View Full Version : Revamped my mower (pics)

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Hey guys just wanted to share this and get any opinions you may have. I got this MTD 48" gear drive walk behind used at the local shop for 600 bucks a couple months ago. Everything as far as mechanical operation is perfect, it just looked awful as you can see. I just recently repainted it and serviced the whole thing. I think it looks much better even though it is a little dirty in the picture, Enjoy.

Lbilawncare
09-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Nice job and good purchase, did you clearcoat it?

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 12:17 AM
As dumb as it sounds no I did not. I did use Rustoleum paint that I also used on our MTD zero turn and it has lasted three years so far. The reason for not using clear is that I have heard of people saying it made it harder to apply additional coats of paint later on, which I have not had to do yet.

SuperPROlawnScalper
09-29-2010, 12:19 AM
wow i was off....

going by your thread title i was expecting it to look like a vampire, especially since it's almost october

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Haha, no it's not quite a vampire mower, but not a bad idea. Not that I'm gonna do it, but if someone else takes the time to it will humor me for a few mintes.

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 12:23 AM
wvaughn7, it looks AMAZING. I hope to find a good deal on a mechanically sound old mower like this just so I can repaint it and have people thinking it is 2010 model.

If you don't mind please go through the prep and paint processes you did.
Did you have to disassemble the whole thing? Remove engine, deck, wheels?
How many coats?
Did you just the rustoleum spray paint? Fill me in because it looks new and I hope to do this some day, just unsure how much I would have to take off and how much work it really takes...

I'm sure you could find some brand new stickers for that thing if you go on ebay or the company's site! Great find and great work. Again, looks killer. So many guys would have bought that thing and just wore the heck out of it. I think restoring says alot about the individual, their work ethic and their quality and attention to detail, which are all pretty big in landscaping.

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the compliments Southern Pride. It wasn't really alot of work. It did take some time, so it's not a weekend project, but you should be able to do it about a week. The first thing I did was do any servicing and maintanence that was needed. After that I took A LOT of pictures. Always do this so you will be able to see your work. It will also help you to remember how the belts run and things like that. I know it sounds stupid, but you will forget one little thing. Also keep all the bolts in a rubbermaid container so nothing is lost. Last, but not least is take your time! If you don't take any other piece of advice I give take this. If you rush the process it will make you frustrated and your efforts will be in vain.

Enough about what to do/not to do. For the actual work I started by taking the deck off. After this I took all the wheels off and took the tires off the rims. At this time I would repaint the wheels and than get new tires while they're already off. Next remove any other parts like the engine or anything else that needs painted (mine did not require me to remove the engine, just to tape it off to spray around it) For the prep work for all the paint I bought a little Husky scraper from the Home Depot for like 4 dollars. It works awesome and is really cheap. After scraping all the paint off that I could I took a drill with a wire brush to any other spots that didn't come off with the scraper. After this I used a product called Naval Jelly which I also got from Home Depot. This takes the rust and any loose paint off. For the final prep work I used 400 grit sandpaper to finish off the surface. Once all this was done make sure you wash any parts to be painted. If there is any dust on the surface the paint will not stick. I used Rustoleum Rusty metal primer because it fills a little better than regular auto primer. After two coats of primer with sanding with 400 grit in between I then applied three coats of regular paint. I did not sand the paint after the primer was finished. Once this is done the mower is ready to go back together and you can admire your work.

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Did you spray paint? If not what type paint and how did you apply it? I figured you had to disassemble alot and I have no problem with it other than the engine I would not want to mess with (just tape off) You're right, wheels off definitely time to do tires and any brakes, belts, especially that PITA tranny belt on the bottom side. Anyway thanks for the quick response but I'm really interested if spray paint gave that good of results or if you had to use a certain paint witha gun...This would be the difference in me trusting myself and affording painting my own machine or any future ones...Thanks again.

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Sorry I left that out haha I used regular spray paint and it was called Sunrise Red. It turned out great and that color seemed to cover great and matches perfect with MTD's factory color

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Great news. Oh, I also forgot to mention you should get some gloss or flat black high temp paint and knock out that muffler. It's the only thing on the mower that doesn't look new other than the bolts leading up to your pistol grips that look slightly rusted. My muffler isn't rusty yet but it's loosing its black so I'm about to hit it with some glossy high temp paint.

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM
I agree totally it is in such bad shape though I am afraid that if I sand blasted it or used Naval Jelly on it it would just disinigrate. I am going to paint it with Krylon BBQ paint until I buy another one.

Southern Pride
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah I don't think there is much prep work to do to exhaust metal like a muffler. Maybe a rough down with the wirebrush and dust off but I just plan on taping mine off and spraying.

ShooterK2
09-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Great looking mower. You did a good job. I didn't know MTD made a commercial walk-behind. People bash MTD on here all the time, but that mower looks really stout. I don't see why it wouldn't last a good long while. The deck looks strong. Looks like a Peerless 5 speed, just like all the expensive mowers have. Nice mower.

milo
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
you need new drive belts, i can tell by where your adjusted is.

Glenn Lawn Care
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Wow thats nice!

4 seasons lawn&land
09-29-2010, 07:12 PM
wow. do my equipment!

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the positive feedback, and 4 Seasons if you wanna send me the mower and some money I can fix it right up.