PDA

View Full Version : Re bar in the face

Maple Wood
09-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Bad accident this evening.
A good friend, a local LCO, was in a yard walking while another guy was running the LCO's mower. The mower (2010 sz) hit a piece of re bar in the ground and sent it flying through the air. The re bar hit this guy in the jaw and stuck through the other side. He is in surgery right now to get the re bar out. Its going to be a tough road.

MOturkey
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. Could have, obviously, been much worse.

Southern Pride
09-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Man I'm currently going through EMT school and you hear about this type of situations alot. All I can say is he is lucky few inches up, death. Few inches down, neck (Carotid artery) very easy to bleed out....He will have some scars but he should live to TALK and tell that story..He's in my prayers as well.

corey4671
09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
and THIS is exactly why I just hate for anyone to even be in my SIGHT when I am mowing. Little old ladies like to sit on the porch and watch me. Drives me nuts. I've begged and begged with them to stay in the house. Won't listen or some cases dimensia and don't remember me asking them. I give up. I've done all I can do. Here's hoping this guy has a quick recovery. Need to remember the guy running the mower too. Sure he's going to have some guilt on his mind as well.

44DCNF
09-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Definitely praying for the man. Police the grounds first fellas! Use the deflectors! Shut the blades down when people are on the chute side! Safety first! The safe way is the best way! Even then accidents happen.

h2oskier
09-28-2010, 11:54 PM
WOW this is something we should all take seriously, keep us posted as to the condition of your partner, hate to hear stories like this.

44DCNF
09-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Definitely praying for the man. Police the grounds first fellas! Use the deflectors! Shut the blades down when people are on the chute side! Safety first! The safe way is the best way! Even then accidents happen.

I shouldn't assume any of these safety practices were not adhered to, but if they are put in place, it certainly lowers the risk for an accident. My post was not made to blame the operator, but to make others aware of ways to keep us and others safe in the field.

Richard Martin
09-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Ouch! I can only image what that felt like. I found a 12" long piece of rebar on one of my best kept properties recently. At the time there were people in the area but everytime I'd point the discharge towards them I closed the OCDC. I raised a little bit of a fuss with the homeowner but he had no idea how the rebar got there. It wasn't his fault but it sure scares the heck out'ta me when something like that happens.

cgaengineer
09-29-2010, 06:13 AM
I used to cut my grandfathers property and he liked to follow me around when I was cutting, even after telling him for over 2 years that it was dangerous. Some people just don't understand how fast and how hard something can be propelled from under a mower deck.

Hope your friend does a complete recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device

David C.
09-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Praying for your friend's speedy recoverery!!!

I was mowing a residential earlier this year----and ran over a corner marker(rebar)----mower tore the rebar out of the ground and threw it out to "Lordy, who knows where!!!"

Lets be careful out there!!

cgaengineer
09-29-2010, 07:15 AM
I have hit 2 ground rods, the first one shut the mower off, the second was pulled about 8" more inches out of the ground and almost shut the mower off.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShooterK2
09-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. He's in my prayers. I second the notion of being careful. Things like this are not what we need to have happening. It really makes you think twice about the job you are doing.

MarcSmith
09-29-2010, 07:23 AM
while i was safety manager for TG we had a guy run over a piece of rebar with the mower, and it shot out and hit another employee in the groin....Ended up loosing a testicle.. No joke...

You need to check the area every time before you mow......

cgaengineer
09-29-2010, 07:26 AM
What I want to know, is why do they put ground rods at just the right location to be hit with a mower? How about drive them in flush? Its not like you are going to need to pull it out to repair it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple Wood
09-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Yep the discharge chute was up. We always worried a little about something happening with the chutes up, but man.
The guy running the super z is worse shape mentally. He blames himself.

I appreciate the notes of support for the fellow LCO.

coolluv
09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Hope he is alright after its all said and done. You never know what can happen, and when it does it happens in a blink of an eye. You guys running around with out insurance are taking a huge risk. Everyone thinks it's not going to happen to them, until it does. I slid down a hill with my Z and dam near took out a gas meter on a house, luckily I regained control just in time.(divine intervention) But the whole time I was thinking I'm going to knock this thing off the house and then the house is going to catch on fire or explode, and then take the surrounding houses out with it..... could have been ugly. If your not insured, you better think about it real hard. BTW this has nothing to do with the OP original post, just thought I would throw it out there.

Dave...

44DCNF
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
I think those of us who pray should also keep the operator in their prayers as well. I can certainly understand he is also going through someterrible pain, though of a different sort. He will be in my prayers too. Again, no blame placed.

Maple Wood
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM
He is still in ICU but doing ok. They are building a titanium piece to replace the missing jaw bone on one side. The other side they are going to fix with bone grafts. Going to need several surgeries to fix this. He does not have insurance.

demhustler
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
sorry about your friend
how big piece been flying?
once small piece of branch (like 1''x 1/3'' chip) broke house window (not even rock) ...

...now insurance will nag him about chute ...

BrunoT
09-30-2010, 02:44 PM
and THIS is exactly why I just hate for anyone to even be in my SIGHT when I am mowing. Little old ladies like to sit on the porch and watch me. Drives me nuts. I've begged and begged with them to stay in the house. Won't listen or some cases dimensia and don't remember me asking them. I give up. I've done all I can do. Here's hoping this guy has a quick recovery. Need to remember the guy running the mower too. Sure he's going to have some guilt on his mind as well.

Same here! I have it as a written policy that I don't cut when others are in the yard. It's just not worth the risk, however remote. There is potential for property damage to others' gear or vehicles, injury potential, and even damage to my machines from nails and debris if contractors are there working.

Just today I passed on one because the termite guy was there checking bait boxes. The combination of his van in the tiny driveway where my trimmer will be kicking out stuff, him on his hands/knees, his eyes down at the level of where a mower might send something, etc, it's just not worth it. If you can just skip it and come back later. All it takes is one incident like this every career and you lose.

This is another side to having crews that most don't consider. Working by yourself you dont' have to keep an eye peeled for other workers, just pedestrians and such. A good rule would be that if your boss is in the "line of fire" make dang sure that discharge chute is in the down position! I see a lot of guys mowing in discharge mode and being very casual about where they're pointing. Some even ride down a roadside shooting into the road.

Maple Wood
09-30-2010, 06:26 PM
The bad thing is he was doing donation work after hours. A friend of his was running the mower who was not a regular employee.

The chunk of re bar was 8 inches. The surgeon said that when he removed the re bar that he could not of put it in there any better (meaning with less damage to crucial blood vessels and nerves). It some how missed the tongue. Terry is very relieved about that because he is a big talker!

doublesharp
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Prayers sent for a speedy recovery. Thanks for posting as it served as a wake up call for me. I've got 3 yards on a busy street and trashy people throw much trash. Beer bottles are common but I have picked up a piece of 3" pipe that I now use as a cheater on my breaker bar.

grassman177
09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
wow maple, tell him i am praying for him and he is lucky.

Grass Shark
09-30-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. When I first started in this business I was always scared to death of something like this happening. Over time I have become more lax and this is an eye opener. I am glad you posted this and will pray for your friend.

chuacro
09-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Yeah makes me think twice about my regular lawns. Will walk every week. I hope for the best for this man.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-30-2010, 10:41 PM
This is half the reason I have mulching plates on all our equipment. Open chutes are a huge liability. Even a small object can be ejected a long ways and at the very least be a hazard to you own workers.

Here in the Austin area an irrigation worker was electrocuted hanging a controller on a wall. There was a second lethal incident with an irrigation worker but I'm not sure what happened. There are dangers lurking out there that aren't always easy to recognize.

minitrk
10-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend, hope he has a speedy recovery. He as well as the mower operator will be in my prayers.

Richard Martin
10-01-2010, 03:27 AM
Here in the Austin area an irrigation worker was electrocuted hanging a controller on a wall. There was a second lethal incident with an irrigation worker but I'm not sure what happened. There are dangers lurking out there that aren't always easy to recognize.

One of these $33 parts could have prevented that accident.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/BVn02_lCJtt9GcEkdBm6OzekGfBjz1xWD0yBFSqO6DSCqOAtcjQlMRDv7kj3ygqzAwSJGfgANPLLFRf8-coq5fEHYYJtvutlJSTXaGy2IxFXhty9HD3LTVVwmyDGmOTuwubM3Pr4VA
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gfi+circuit+breaker&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=17542178602886557772&ei=kIylTOvPD4GKlwfHxMzfBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDoQ8wIwBA#

greentech2007
03-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi every one this is Terry. I'm the one that got the rebar thru my face just wanted you all to know i'm doing better and getting ready to hit it hard this Spring also wanted to THANK YOU!!! all for your concern and prayers. I'm missing about 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch of my jaw bone, two teeth and two scars one on each side of my face. Proably be having bone grafting done this next winter to fill in the jaw bone. There is a lot more details a guy could almost write a book about the experience. If any one has any more ? id be happy to answer them. Guys just be careful when people are around shut down the mower put the shoot down or whatever it takes to be safe as we can. Also my wife and little girl are thankful im still with them the bar passed less then a sixteenth of an inch from my juglar vain! THANK YOU all once again!!!

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
wow this is weird but i read the exact same thread on here last year

PetesLandscape&Supply
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi every one this is Terry. I'm the one that got the rebar thru my face just wanted you all to know i'm doing better and getting ready to hit it hard this Spring also wanted to THANK YOU!!! all for your concern and prayers. I'm missing about 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch of my jaw bone, two teeth and two scars one on each side of my face. Proably be having bone grafting done this next winter to fill in the jaw bone. There is a lot more details a guy could almost write a book about the experience. If any one has any more ? id be happy to answer them. Guys just be careful when people are around shut down the mower put the shoot down or whatever it takes to be safe as we can. Also my wife and little girl are thankful im still with them the bar passed less then a sixteenth of an inch from my juglar vain! THANK YOU all once again!!!

Terry,
God Bless You and your family , glad to here your doing better....terrible experience I'm sure...Wishing you a healthy profitable season !!!........pete

MOturkey
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM
wow this is weird but i read the exact same thread on here last year

It is the same thread. :)

kilgoja
03-08-2011, 11:49 PM
oh ok a resurrected thread....makes more sense now...glad you made it through terry :)

kemco
03-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Here's to wishing you a speedy recovery. Perfect example for all the "I don't need insurance Im always careful" LCOs on here. Bad enough as it is, but what if that rebar had hit a neighbors kid playing out in the yard...

fazzy815-66
03-09-2011, 08:08 AM
wow! first time reading this. Terry I'm glad your ok makes me wonder why I have keep my chute up all these years Im gonna change that this year. I'm so glad God was with you. I will remember you in my prayers and pray for your future bone graphs to go well.

Mickhippy
03-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Hows this one....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/7367191/Woman-killed-in-freak-lawnmower-accident-named.html