PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping classes?

Mccarty Lawns
09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Hello all this is officially my first post on this site... I have been in the lawn maintenance, and garden business for quite some time now, and I was looking to get into landscaping in the Orlando area... After speaking with a few friends of mine in the landscaping business they tell me they get new business everyday and make thousands per. week, and of course at first I thought this seemed too good to be true... After doing some research, I've been trying to find a school that would teach you the installation aspect of it and become a certified landscaper but I have tried looking on the internet to see if there is a school that offers hands on training for installing walk ways, irrigation, and the whole 9 yards but no luck besides horticulture... I hear that it wouldn't be a bad idea to work for someone else in the landscaping field and learn... But then I get the idea that you being a competitor, they are gonna work you hard and teach you very little... Please correct me if I'm wrong... :) I would appreciate any advice... Thanks all

White Gardens
09-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Check out the local Junior Colleges and see if they offer any courses.

Look at your wall block and paver suppliers. Usually the companies offer training courses.

The Master Gardners course was good for me on the plant side of landscaping. I learned lots there.

Also check out any conventions such as the GIE expo in Kentucky. Some days they offer seminars on products and current installation practices.

jjt326
10-02-2010, 09:09 PM
I took a glass on turf grass from UGA. It teaches many aspects of taking care of turfs. After testing at a school near you, you are a certified turf grass manager from PLANET. While the cert does not make you professional, it helps know more about what you are doing and what you see in the field. I have found a few extension classes that can be taken online with testing at a fixed facility, i.e. the georgia landscape professional certification offered by the Griffin office of UGA.
Good luck.