PDA

View Full Version : Too much calcium

mountain
08-13-2002, 10:46 AM
What's the best way to lower calcium levels? One of our soil tests shows 80%Ca saturation and 16%Mg . We never ran into this before , usually soils in our area need 40-60lbs of lime/1000. phosphorus levels were 16ppm will correcting this help with Ca problem?

-----------------
SLM

lawnstudent
08-13-2002, 07:14 PM
Phosphporus is an anion (negatively charged ion) and calcium is a cation (positive ion). They attach to differnt Cation Exchange sites. I don't think addressing your phosphorus problem will affect the calcium saturation problem.

What is your pH? Do you have a very high pH? Sufur your soil to lower pH, though it is very difficult to reduce pH on a highly calcareous soil.

jim

mountain
08-13-2002, 09:48 PM
jim

thanks for the reply

pH is 6.8 so i wasn't to worried about it. Will Sulfur lower Ca levels or maybe a real good aeration and some organics?

---------------
SLM

lawnstudent
08-14-2002, 06:35 AM
pH of 6.8 is an ideal pH for growing cool season turf. With a pH of 6.8 I would not apply sulfur to lower the pH.

Aeration is a good thing for turf. It allows better air, water and nutrient infiltration into the soil, but it will not affect the calcium levels.

Calcium is good for turf. It is the third most used nutrient by turf. It helps build stong cell walls in turf and is used in grass roots and stem tips. It also helps the soil structure through the promotion of aggregation (formation of peds). These are all good things. Calcium is commonly used to adjust pH. It will displace the Hydrogen cations on your soil's cation exchange sites. This raises the pH. That's why I asked about your pH level. You don't have a high pH with all that calcium in your soil so I don't think that you have a problem with your high calcium levels. Just leave it be. Good luck.

jim