PDA

View Full Version : Vehhicle security

irrig8r
09-29-2010, 11:42 AM
A couple of recent Facebook posts by Tommy Herren got me thinking about truck and trailer security.

What are the best deterrents/ alarms/ etc. that you've come across?

The only thefts I've had in recent years is when I forgot to lock a sidebox at night... and I suspect it was a drug addict looking to turn tools into quick cash.

Maybe having a truck like mine that isn't shiny new acts as a general deterrent in itself... but whatever it is attracts thieves' attention, what are the best methods to keep them out?

BTW, Tommy, I wish you a speedy recovery of your stolen property.

irrig8r
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
oops... 'scuse my title typo... : v-e-h-i-c-l-e

DQL10
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I know with the new Ford trucks, you can add the cable lock that is in the bed. This will wrap around the handle of your tools and secure it self back to a point in the bed. Not sure if that may give you an idea or not.

extlights
09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Trucks and trailers are in the garage every night. We have yet to have any problems.

nikster78
09-29-2010, 05:44 PM
A Gun full of Ammo.. Come see us at the UT.

nikster78
09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
In all Honesty we strive to be a part of the community.:usflag:

irrig8r
09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of tech solution... for instance:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DS500-MobileLock-Locator-Anti-Theft/dp/B000IZG9VG

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/tattletale7t-tattletale-baseunit.html

amscapes03
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Check out Lojack.

David Gretzmier
09-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Try not to forget the thieves from within. Had a Dewalt saw "stolen" this past week, probably by one of my current or ex-employees that had a key to the shop. no break in, just "missing" no one knows where it went. I have had my share of employee theft, probably at least 25-30 pawnable items gone over the last 25 years, and also had our family car stolen from the church parking lot, during the day when my wife was working there as a part time secretary. I had an upgraded stereo system ripped out a month after I bought it. at last count our home has been broken in, or equipment stolen off my truck or trailer right out of my driveway, almost a dozen times in the 17 years I have been married and lived in houses rather than apartments.

And yes, we have always lived in 1600-3000 square foot homes in middle class and up neighborhoods. population of the area we live is close to 500,000 in the two county area, but really, each city has about 65000 folks or so.

I don't know what planet thieves live on, but they seem attacted to me for some reason, and maybe I am an easy mark.

perhaps my Brother the lawn guy has caught this particular bug, as he has had 3 Stihl backpack blowers stolen off his truck in the last 3 years while he was mowing a property. let me repeat- HE WAS MOWING A LAWN AND THEY TOOK A BLOWER RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. 400 buck blowers, each obviously less than a year old. he now locks the blowers to the truck, except when blowing.

my best advice would be to move in next to me and park next to me. thieves won't even notice your stuff, they will be going for mine.

The Lighting Geek
09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
thank you Greg,

I had my truck broken into monday morning at 4:45am. I was out the door in 25 seconds and they were driving off. My window on the drivers side was broken, Mirror hanging, my radio was gone along with the 27" LCD TV I had in the passenger seat from the home show I just finished. The dash was so tore up and the wiring so trashed, it had to go to the body shop for repairs. picked up a rental and thought we were good to go. WRONG! 4hours or more more later they broke into my trailer and cleaned me out of every tool I owned. I estimate it to be more than 20k in equipment. Gas cut off saw, Hilti rotohamer, all the dewalt tools, batteries and chargers, every screw driver and wire stripper, wire locator, volt ohm meters, amp probes, sawzall and blades, 15 rotohammer bits, all the bags of tools of my employees, the battery we used for the interior lights, crimpers, torches, testers, signal generators, nut drivers, literally every tool we had. We had to go buy wire strippers and screwdrivers just to start work. I have had much support from friends and suppliers but the expense is killing me, insurance doesn't cover this. I had to change the locks on my home, padlocks on all equipment, and storage units. I had to add an alarm to the trailer. I must tell you it has been devastating.

Make sure you are protected! We all get complacent in time and lazy when it comes to security. If you park a trailer use a lock for the hitch and a lock through the latch. We all lose a tool now and then but this is different. I know it is an inside job, probably a past employee, we think. My keys are unduplicateable. This is very personal and it hurts. I pity them when we catch them.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Tommy that is just horrible... What a set back.

Insurance is such an important part of business operations. Here I have two separate policies that cover my truck, trailer, tools and equipment. The truck and trailer are covered with the commercial vehicle policy (make sure you have a distinct rider that covers the trailer on its own, do not rely on your truck insurance to cover it) I also have a couple of special riders on my Business Insurance package. One is for tools and equipment that covers us for theft or loss be it in the shop, trailer or on a job site. The other is for 'goods in transit'. This covers us if any lighting materials (products for installation) are lost or stolen from the trailer, in transit or at the job site.

Check with your broker or underwriter and see if you can add these coverages to your insurance policies.

Gr1ffin
09-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Tommy,

Very sorry to hear that. Not what anybody needs, especially in todays environment. What a PITA.

Did I read that correctly? They broke into your truck first and then came back the same morning and broke into your trailer? If that is correct it makes it even more disturbing knowing how brazen they are. Also trailer was locked but they had a key ( you mentioned non-copyable keys). If so it won't be long before you catch them (your former employee).

Give me a call and I'll send you an AMP/Volt meter and some other stuff.

Sincerely,

Alan

irrig8r
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Tommy, any chance they found a trailer key in your truck?

The Lighting Geek
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I am not sure how the key got into their hands. The police are really going after the facts and looking into employees and such. One hopes it will result in an arrest, but many times that is not the case. I appreciate the support everyone has shown me, it does help.

Mark B
09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Hate hear that happened. Not sure what type/model truck it was. But one can get your vin# then go to the dealer and have a key cut. I have done that for the one time I locked my keys up. I knonw the newer ones have type of chip in the key. My .02
Posted via Mobile Device

Viewpoint
10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
This makes my gut wrench.

I was stupid and left my truck parked in the driveway overnight unlocked. Dog barking at 4am, and looked out the window to see the rear hatch open...tools, lamps, wire... gone.

I made a spreadsheet documenting everything taken for my insurance claim...$5500. Homeowners ins. covered up to $3500 (minus $1000 deductable). I got off lucky.

What happened to you, Tommy, is far worse. At least I had some back-up tools in the office, and could get back to work the next day.

Here's a tip for everyone who hasn't had their tools stolen yet: Make a list of everything you have, with serial #'s or at least model #'s for the insurance claim you will inevitably make. Its a PITA, but hopefully murphy's law will step in. If you make the list, no one will rob you, and you won't have to go through the hassle of replacing everything!

Good Luck Tommy, let me know if you need to borrow anything.

Mark B
10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Oh i have had my trailer broken into as well right in the middle of a large irritation job. That is not a good feeling at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

RLI Electric
10-01-2010, 08:13 PM
One of the companies I worked with in the past was doing a job in Boston. One of the guys came out to the van and a dude about 6'7" and 280 pounds solid muscle was sawing into the side of the truck with a sawzall. The two looked at each other, the electrician walked back into the building and the other guy went back to breaking in. How bout that?

The Lighting Geek
10-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The Lighting Geek
10-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Here is what I learned from this:
1. Make a list of your tools (brand, model, serial #)
2. You need to make sure your trailers are listed on your vehicle insurance or they are not covered for damage. 250.00 additional per year for 2 trailers.
3. You need a separate policy for equipment and tools. 25k coverage for 750.00 yearly w/ 1k deductible is common.
4. Use the best locks; master #6321 with American lock Edge key way. Very difficult to get duplicated.
5. Manage your keys and access. Number the keys and rekey when 1 key is unaccounted for.
6. Alarm trucks and trailers
7. Get GPS units to track your vehicles or use LoJack
8. Cable everything INSIDE your trailer all the time to minimize Grab N Runs.
9. Use your gut to guide you

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

nikster78
10-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I just think that it's sad we must go that far. Sorry for your loss Tommy. Thanks for helping us all lose the complacency if we had any! I agree insurance at all cost is the only means of protection.

David Gretzmier
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
sorry for your loss tommy, as you saw by my last post, I have been there many times.