PDA

View Full Version : My V-Ride 36 Mods

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
After using our V-ride 36 for a few days we took off the weight plates you see in the pics. The plates were bolted under the front deck cover and weight 70 lbs. We removed the fold down platform extension so the operator can't stand as far back and cause the machine to get light in the front. The big pad was removed as well to allow the operator to stand about 6" closer to the center of the wheels to improve the weight balance.

If I owned a machine shop I'd love to cut the whole dashboard control panel area off and push it a head about 8". This would allow the operator to really put the brunt of his weight between the back wheels and the front casters. You really want no weight to be supported behind the rear wheels if you can help it. This would also allow you to lean forward as you go up an incline which would be beneficial.

It would also be nice if the forward fixed bar on the control panel was adjustable like the Super Surfers so you could use it for speed control. The V-Ride will go way faster than you can mow so it would be nice to dumb down the speed like my Scag SWZU's can do. Either a Super Surfer style speed control or even better yet a speed selector like my SWZU would be great.

Are you listening Scag? We like the mower but with the suggested tweaks it will really smoke the other stand up mowers. Plus the mower will weigh less which is a huge benefit. Not needing to buy 70 lbs of extra steel per mower would reduce the manufacturing costs a little, PSI on the turf, and reduce :walking:fuel consumption a little.

coolluv
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I was looking at these 36" V Rides a few months ago, but they didn't have any in stock. Can you post pictures of the deck and the whole machine from different angles? If you have time. I would also like to know if you cut Bermuda with it, and if you do how does it cut?

Thanks, Dave...

pugs
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
So basically try to make it so where the operator stands is the same as a Wright:laugh:

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I was looking at these 36" V Rides a few months ago, but they didn't have any in stock. Can you post pictures of the deck and the whole machine from different angles? If you have time. I would also like to know if you cut Bermuda with it, and if you do how does it cut?

Thanks, Dave...

My guys are out mowing with it right now. The deck is the Advatage deck on the 36's. On the larger mowers they come with the Velocity decks. The deck is the exact same deck I have on my Scag SWZU (floating deck walk behind) 36's. We mow Buffalo, Bermuda, Zoysia, and St. Augustine with no problem. The 20 HP Kawi motor is a monster on a 36. It screams up hills without losing steam like the 15 HP 36's. My fuel consumption still is about 5 gallons a day. We mulch but if you eject the grass you could probably run over a tree with the thing.

I was the first one to by a V-Ride from my local shop but another bigger shop in town has sold twenty of these mowers in different sizes to just two clients. The companies were replacing zero turns with V-Rides because they take up less space in the trailers. Unless you have leg or knee issues standing up is better for your back than being hunched over sitting on your azz. Plus it much faster to get on and off a stand up mower. Also no ROPS crap to deal with.

coolluv
09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
My guys are out mowing with it right now. The deck is the Advatage deck on the 36's. On the larger mowers they come with the Velocity decks. The deck is the exact same deck I have on my Scag SWZU (floating deck walk behind) 36's. We mow Buffalo, Bermuda, Zoysia, and St. Augustine with no problem. The 20 HP Kawi motor is a monster on a 36. It screams up hills without losing steam like the 15 HP 36's. My fuel consumption still is about 5 gallons a day. We mulch but if you eject the grass you could probably run over a tree with the thing.

I was the first one to by a V-Ride from my local shop but another bigger shop in town has sold twenty of these mowers in different sizes to just two clients. The companies were replacing zero turns with V-Rides because they take up less space in the trailers. Unless you have leg or knee issues standing up is better for your back than being hunched over sitting on your azz. Plus it much faster to get on and off a stand up mower. Also no ROPS crap to deal with.

Thanks for the reply. I have trouble with scalping issues on Bermuda, not all lawns but about half. I was wondering if the 36 has anti scalp wheels on the deck? The lawns around here are just thrown down when installed and are bumpy and rough, I have a Super Z 44" and it does ok most of the time but it is heavy and it causes ruts, even when I change patterns I can still see the ruts. Most accounts are small so a huge deck is not needed, I also have a 36" Trimstar but I would rather ride than walk. I don't use the Trimstar much, only for areas that I can't use the Z. I was thinking on trading in the Z for a 36" V ride. Don't get me wrong I love the Z, but the cut could be better and I would like something smaller and lighter. The Z also has trouble in the spring with thick Bermuda, when its dry in summer its not a problem, but in the spring and early summer I have to double and triple cut.

Dave...

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
It has an anti scalp wheel on the center of the deck. Because it's a small deck it doesn't have multiple anti-scalp wheels like what you'd see on a big deck. But it you have a really poorly sodded yard your going to scalp no matter what. Bigger mowers will obviously make the problem worse on concave or convex areas even if the place is sodded perfectly.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
So basically try to make it so where the operator stands is the same as a Wright:laugh:

I tried the Wright when it first came out and again before I bought the Scag. For me the steering on the Wright was just too twitchy and it drove me crazy. It was the Sentar Sport that I tried out.

I didn't like the Stander because the operator platform is higher up making it harder to get under obstacles. With the Scag you can still mow up under obstacle with the deck. Plus that vertical pad is right up against your knees with that Stander.

Wright has always been able to design interesting mowers. But there has always been one funky thing about them that hasn't allowed the mowers to go mainstream and take market share from big dogs like Scag.

Years ago I sent Wright & Velke info on how I would like a Velky to be designed. Years later the Velky Super Pro comes out. Now I'd like to see an aircraft grade aluminum Super Pro that would weigh a whole lot less. If Bike frames and ATV stuff can be made from 4130 and aircraft grade aluminum why not a Super Pro.

coolluv
09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
It has an anti scalp wheel on the center of the deck. Because it's a small deck it doesn't have multiple anti-scalp wheels like what you'd see on a big deck. But it you have a really poorly sodded yard your going to scalp no matter what. Bigger mowers will obviously make the problem worse on concave or convex areas even if the place is sodded perfectly.

How do you like the cut on Bermuda? Wet conditions, thick turf, etc. Does it leave stringers or uncut grass in thick wet Bermuda?

Dave...

PlantscapeSolutions
09-29-2010, 04:57 PM
I like it in all conditions. The extra 5 HP helps a lot. We start the day early so it's a given there going to be wet grass cut for a few hours in the morning. I find Zoysia is the worst grass to cut if it's a little tall because it's so thick.

grassman177
09-29-2010, 08:49 PM
the wrights do have a huge market share, and they are the most used here by far, especially stand ons. with all those mods you are asking for, you sure dont like the v ride much, as it is quirky and all due to patents etc by the one who got wieght balance correct the first time, WRIGHT.

sjessen
09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
the wrights do have a huge market share, and they are the most used here by far, especially stand ons. with all those mods you are asking for, you sure dont like the v ride much, as it is quirky and all due to patents etc by the one who got wieght balance correct the first time, WRIGHT.

Wright has the patents. The other companies have to jump through a lot of hoops to get their standon mowers to function properly.

BrunoT
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
This is actually an example of how patent laws (necessary, of course) can sometimes inhibit real innovation, as its pretty obvious some of the flaws in other brands' designs are because of the need to work around someone else's patent relating to wheel/platform placement, etc. Meanwhile, the patent holder's machines may not be the best in other areas.

It does seem horribly inefficient to have to add 70 lbs to a small mower with thin tires that can cause rutting issues to get it properly balanced. This field expedient looks like it could fix the issue with a few tweaks.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-30-2010, 03:57 PM

When I first started school I was taking classes to be an engineer. I changed my major and went in a different direction but I still think in abstract ways a lot. It took me five minutes to make the mods to my mower that bugged me the most. I never owned a piece of equipment or tried a piece of equipment I didn't want to cut, weld, grind, or do some sort of fabrication work on.

It's easier to mod my V-Ride a little than to buy a Stander and try to mod it into a V-Ride. Scag is a huge company compared to Wright and I think you'll find the V-Rides sales will outpace the Stander's very soon. They already can't make V-rides fast enough. The commercial companies here in Austin have purchased 21 or more V-Rides from the local Scag place already. That's probably as many Standers as they've sold in the last several years combined.

Scag may have been late to the party but they brought their appetite and now it's time to dine on the competition!

grassman177
09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
is scag really all that much bigger? i have no idea/

i can see what you are all saying about making mowers a bit awkward and holding back innovation due to patents, but still////////////

djagusch
09-30-2010, 10:48 PM
is scag really all that much bigger? i have no idea/

i can see what you are all saying about making mowers a bit awkward and holding back innovation due to patents, but still////////////

Scag is much larger and if you include metalcraft there is no comparison.

For the op I know 5 guys including myself with the 48 or 52 vride and wouldn't change a thing. Weight isn't a issue (no rutting) and the thing handles hills great. Removing the knee pad and platform I think would reduce comfort greatly. Also the one thing you get with scag is their cut that wright can't come close too.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=PlantscapeSolutions;373973
It's easier to mod my V-Ride a little than to buy a Stander and try to mod it into a V-Ride. Scag is a huge company compared to Wright and I think you'll find the V-Rides sales will outpace the Stander's very soon. They already can't make V-rides fast enough. The commercial companies here in Austin have purchased 21 or more V-Rides from the local Scag place already. That's probably as many Standers as they've sold in the last several years combine.[/QUOTE]

They already have in mn.
Posted via Mobile Device

EliteYardServices
10-01-2010, 03:16 AM
I started to look at the mower until I was blinded by the "Texans for Obama" sticker on the white suv in the background...

grassman177
10-01-2010, 07:48 AM
wright does not have the best cut, but it is still good.

the mower deck does its best on thick tall fescue lawns. there it shines, but other grasses or thin lawns, vorget about it

flatlander42
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I started to look at the mower until I was blinded by the "Texans for Obama" sticker on the white suv in the background...

now wonder why he is CHANGING the mower! Now we just HOPE it works.... hehehe :jester:

ProTouch Groundscapes
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
scag has to put the op platform BEHIND the wheels because wright has the patents that put the op platform between the wheels. look at the grandstands, exmarks and jd standers, they are all like the vride because legally they can't design them like the wrights.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-01-2010, 11:14 AM
scag has to put the op platform BEHIND the wheels because wright has the patents that put the op platform between the wheels. look at the grandstands, exmarks and jd standers, they are all like the vride because legally they can't design them like the wrights.

Here's a good picture and info about Wright [URL="http://www.igin.com/article-470-taking-a-stand-on-mowers.html"]. Patents are usually good for ten years I believe. This would mean that in 2006 the wright patent expired. I would say that the Stander lets the operator stand about 4" closer to the wheels than my Scag does with the pad removed. I would have to gig Scag for not making the mower with the operator position further forward but the benefits of the mower out weight the drawbacks.

To others who own a V-Ride I would try ditching the weights, pad, and fold down deck and see if it bothers you. I let me guys try it my way and they said it worked just fine. My Scag is probably closer to 90 lbs lighter. Less psi on the ground, less weight for the mower to push up hills, and better fuel economy. Why would you not want this?

If you have a operator who's portly or large framed (Over 6') I can understand needing the ballast in the front if you have much over 200 lbs. In this line of work your average employee from south of the border is probably 5'-7" and 165 or so.

djagusch
10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Here's a good picture and info about Wright [URL="http://www.igin.com/article-470-taking-a-stand-on-mowers.html"]. Patents are usually good for ten years I believe. This would mean that in 2006 the wright patent expired. I would say that the Stander lets the operator stand about 4" closer to the wheels than my Scag does with the pad removed. I would have to gig Scag for not making the mower with the operator position further forward but the benefits of the mower out weight the drawbacks.

To others who own a V-Ride I would try ditching the weights, pad, and fold down deck and see if it bothers you. I let me guys try it my way and they said it worked just fine. My Scag is probably closer to 90 lbs lighter. Less psi on the ground, less weight for the mower to push up hills, and better fuel economy. Why would you not want this?

If you have a operator who's portly or large framed (Over 6') I can understand needing the ballast in the front if you have much over 200 lbs. In this line of work your average employee from south of the border is probably 5'-7" and 165 or so.

I have tried it without the knee pad and didn't like it. But I'm also the 6ft 210lbs guy also most of my buddies.
Posted via Mobile Device

TGG2008
10-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I just got done with a 2-day demo of a Wright stander 36 fixed today. The cut was terrific and laid down a great stripe. I demo'd a Toro GS a few weeks back and that cut great as well even with dull blades but did not stripe well at all. I spoke with the dealer I got these from and they don't have a V-ride to demo.
I was thinking about the what the OP did removing the fold down flap and knee pad and checked while I was there today and if I were to remove the pad and extra platform flap on a v-ride my foot would be just a few inches further back then the wrights platform. The Grandstand puts my entire foot behind the wheel. I had to walk behind the GS for a couple hills while I had it.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-02-2010, 02:32 AM
I just got done with a 2-day demo of a Wright stander 36 fixed today. The cut was terrific and laid down a great stripe. I demo'd a Toro GS a few weeks back and that cut great as well even with dull blades but did not stripe well at all. I spoke with the dealer I got these from and they don't have a V-ride to demo.
I was thinking about the what the OP did removing the fold down flap and knee pad and checked while I was there today and if I were to remove the pad and extra platform flap on a v-ride my foot would be just a few inches further back then the wrights platform. The Grandstand puts my entire foot behind the wheel. I had to walk behind the GS for a couple hills while I had it.

I never even tried the Toro\Exmark because I could just tell I wouldn't like it. Plus, to me Toro is kind of like a Ford it's just something I'll never own again. The only Wright product I tried twice was the Sentar Sport. If you gave the Sentar Sport some aggressive input you could make it backfire or stall. It just didn't seem to be refined very well by the R&D guys. Scag really seems to always put it's machines through the meat grinder to make sure everything will work smoothly.

Lawn Pawn
10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Dealer is getting the rep. to drop off a 48 for me to look at... demo maybe.

Looking to replace my 36 Wright fixed deck with a 36 Scag. Have read all I can find here on LawnSite regarding these guys. Anything else to throw at me to ask the rep. or look closer at. Never even seen a real one before so it's sure to be information overload.

Love my Wright..... and if the Scag can be modified a bit as been described here to make it more similar.... just may be the ticket. Price is 6150 + tax for the 36.

Closest Wright dealer is about 100 miles on way..... Scag is about 60 and has treated me good over the years.

TGG2008
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Dealer is getting the rep. to drop off a 48 for me to look at... demo maybe.

Looking to replace my 36 Wright fixed deck with a 36 Scag. Have read all I can find here on LawnSite regarding these guys. Anything else to throw at me to ask the rep. or look closer at. Never even seen a real one before so it's sure to be information overload.

Love my Wright..... and if the Scag can be modified a bit as been described here to make it more similar.... just may be the ticket. Price is 6150 + tax for the 36.

Closest Wright dealer is about 100 miles on way..... Scag is about 60 and has treated me good over the years.

I would really like to see a 32" stander by Scag or Toro but i'm sure there in the plans just not this early after release. With your seeing a V-ride, check out how accessible alot of the parts are just like the wright. The GS is all crammed in there and out of sight which is probably not good. The Vride is very open and you can see everything going on and they tout how every part is built to last longer with coolers, air gaps, self-tensioning and weird engineering stuff like that. Based on how my hands hated the Wright I am strongly considering a Scag over the Toro for my first stander next year.

gasracer
10-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I was looking into replacing my 36" WB with a Scag V-Ride 36". My local dealer had one and I drove it around the lot some. The only drawback I had to it was the weight. It is almost as heavy as my Z. They weigh about 900lbs. some of my small yards couldn't handle that if the ground got soft at all. If i get to the point of replacing my Z I would look at getting a 48" V-Ride. I am a "Big" boy so I would have to have all the weights i could get on the front end.
Toro also makes a Grandstander style 36". The platform on them folds down on them on the very back.With my weight it will almost do wheel stands.

Lawn Pawn
10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Got to play with the 48" at the dealers. He is located on a service road next to the interstate, where he told me to try it out.

Nothing severe for banks.... but close to the slopes and angles I cut with my Wright. Short version of story..... I'll keep my Wright.

I really really wanted to love the Scag and keep the colors on my trailer the same, but just can't be done.

The Scag is a VERY nice mower but not for what would be required of it to earn it's keep. Never even cut with it.... as I knew that would not disappoint me.... just drove it around to feel it out and brought it back.

turbohead
05-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Have purchased a Vride 36 inch and have about 30hours on it. I am having traction issues when cutting in an incline, it wants to slide down the slope. I have heard, but can't confirm, that larger tires on the rear end will help with this. Has anyone experienced this issue and what if any modifications have you done to correct it.

PlantscapeSolutions
05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Have purchased a Vride 36 inch and have about 30hours on it. I am having traction issues when cutting in an incline, it wants to slide down the slope. I have heard, but can't confirm, that larger tires on the rear end will help with this. Has anyone experienced this issue and what if any modifications have you done to correct it.

The new Vrides have the wider tires. If you take off the big cushy pad you can stand further forward on the platform which is a benefit. You can also remove the 70 pounds of weight plates under the deck. This makes the mower want to nose dive down hills less.

TPendagast
05-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Ive got a 36" V ride… any specific questions?
It's two years old.

I like the wrights better, but there are no wright dealers 'round these here parts.

kawakx125
05-23-2014, 06:22 AM
i absolutely cannot stand any other standers but the wrights. i'm tall and feel like i'm up way too high on any other standers, toro/exmark is slow, vride is like putting a jigsaw puzzle together to get it to move. the ''in handle'' OPC's suck

PlantscapeSolutions
05-24-2014, 09:44 AM
I test drove the Sport years ago and didn't like it. The Stander I looks like it would be worth a test drive. I took the weights off my Vride 36 along with the rear section of the operators platform and the huge pad. The Stander I is about 50 pounds less then a stock Vride 36 but with my weight reduction my unit weighs about 30 pounds less then the Wright unit.

Even with the weight reduction the Wright has the engine and operator further forward so the PSI on the turf from the rear wheels is probably less. I would not recommend having an operator much over 175 with the Vride or probably the Stander I either. For cross cutting slopes you still can't beat a WB for not causing ruts. The WB is also much easier to handle on slopes and is still a must to own. I'm not sure what I will do when my Scag 36 with the old floating deck wears out.

I put wider 8.5" tires on my Vride which I recommend for anyone with an older 36 that came with the skinny 7.0" wide tires. All you have to do is grind down part of a few large bolt heads to make the wider tire mod.

mag360
05-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Take some weight off of the front or add weight to the back by standing at the rear of the platform for running across a slope.