PDA

View Full Version : Looking for annual ideas!

tprince
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Got a tough one for everyone! I'm looking for an annual or perennial that will take FULL shade and they're going in planters. Having a hard time thinking or finding anything that will last. I've thought of hostas, astilbe, ferns, etc. but are there any other plants that have a little bit more of a wow factor? Please help!

johnroscoe
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
heuchera? lots of interesting cultivars out there.

MR-G
09-30-2010, 08:27 AM
:usflag::usflag:on tough locations we have used high quality very real looking synthetics (silk plants) they can be very lucrative.....I know it sounds strange..ive got some clients with them that love them and would never go back to the real deal.....look into it, you may be impressed.

lakesregionscapes
09-30-2010, 09:38 AM
For tough, colorful shade annuals, I use impatiens a lot, with variegated vinca vine for a trailer... the impatiens survive a lot of deep shade with inadequate watering (window boxes on cottages under the pines, weekend watering only) around here all summer, year after year, just a ball of color. Only thing that kills them is being soaking wet for too long, frost and deer. The double impatiens are fussier - stick to the standard singles. Feed them regularly and they should do great.
Picture is of double (rosebud) imps, idea of color and flower abundance, with vinca.... Singles bloom even more.

White Gardens
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Got a tough one for everyone! I'm looking for an annual or perennial that will take FULL shade and they're going in planters. Having a hard time thinking or finding anything that will last. I've thought of hostas, astilbe, ferns, etc. but are there any other plants that have a little bit more of a wow factor? Please help!

I see a bunch of perennials listed above. Is that what you are looking for?