PDA

View Full Version : electric winch for lifting mower

Lasko's Lawn Service
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Any of you fellas ever used an electric winch to lift the front end of the mower to change blades and clean the deck? I'm looking at an 880 lb one for my garage. keep in mind I'm just lifting the front end of my Scag TC....I'm not lifting the whole thing off the ground.

scagman52
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Block and tackle

rmdm94
09-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Got one from Harbor Freight and installed it.Works great, no jack to work around.

rwaters
09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
look for a Hoist it would be a lot safer, the breaking system is designed to hold something in the air, a wench is designed for horizontal pulling

MarcSmith
09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
just makes sure its hooked to something secure....

1 ton chain hoist...
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html

ed2hess
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
And what is wrong with a simple floor jack? Doubt that you can use
a chain hoist to lift up the unit to change hydro belt.

MarcSmith
09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
^ all depends on how much load the anchor point can support..

StanWilhite
09-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Any of you fellas ever used an electric winch to lift the front end of the mower to change blades and clean the deck? I'm looking at an 880 lb one for my garage. keep in mind I'm just lifting the front end of my Scag TC....I'm not lifting the whole thing off the ground.

I've used an electric hoist rated at 1350 lbs (with cable doubled) for years and it works great. I used it for many years on a cub loboy that is much, much heavier in the front than a ZTR. As someone else said, make sure it's attached securely, and be sure you use an additional safety chain. I used a 4" x 6" timber across 6 ceiling joists located close to a wall (for extra strength). In addition, I ran upright 2 x 4's from the ceiling joists to the rafters for even more support. As I said, the most important thing is to make sure you use a totally different LOG chain as a back up. I have a bad back and neck and it's really nice to be able to sit under a mower that's at a 45 degree angle and use an impact wrench to R/R blades, grease etc.
Stan

Sammy
09-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Get a Grasshopper with the power fold.

Southern Pride
09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Sounds sketchy. I use my trailer rails that way the mower is near my height, works great. 100% safe but then again its just a exmark 36 not ZTR, but yeah sounds dangerous. Winch only has that little hook...

StanWilhite
10-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Sounds sketchy. I use my trailer rails that way the mower is near my height, works great. 100% safe but then again its just a exmark 36 not ZTR, but yeah sounds dangerous. Winch only has that little hook...

IMHO, if you take the proper precautions the winch is no more dangerous than any other way of being underneath a mower.... BUT.....I wouldn't DREAM of using a winch to lift a mower (or anything else that was heavy) without a STRONG safety chain as a backup. Stan

ajslands
10-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I have a buddy that uses a chain winch.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
10-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I have a buddy that uses a chain winch.
Posted via Mobile Device

I used one of those before I got my elec hoist. Cheaper, but not as quick or easy.

h2oskier
10-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Use the hoist, like mentioned before it has breaking in it so its designed to hold things in the air. The winch is designed for horizontal pulling. We use hoist here at Angelo Marine Center to pick boats up off of trailers, we do it just about everyday, but you won't need a hoist quite that big. Anything rated at a sustained 1000lbs would work just fine.