PDA

View Full Version : Burlap Fence Install

Crash
09-29-2010, 04:40 PM
We have a very good customer who wants us to put up a removable burlap fence to protect his arbs from salt damage. He lives on a very busy four lane road and we've already had to replace three arbs since we installed them four years ago. In the winter the salt trucks just flood his road and it's burning out the North West sides of his arbs. He got the township to approve an 8' fence as long as it's removable. It's gonna be 160' long, if we put posts in every 6' that gives us 27 posts. So we figured we'd auger holes and put some kind of sleeve buried in the ground that would be permanent. Then we could slip our 4x4 posts into the sleeves and bolt them together. As far as the burlap goes, i'm hoping we can just pull it tight and staple or nail it to the posts. I'm not sure how that will hold up against the wind though.

I could really use any feedback you guys may have on how to go about this. Any experiences with this sort of thing or just your two cents would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fireguy97
09-30-2010, 01:16 AM
He got the township to approve an 8' fence as long as it's removable. It's gonna be 160' long, if we put posts in every 6' that gives us 27 posts. So we figured we'd auger holes and put some kind of sleeve buried in the ground that would be permanent. Then we could slip our 4x4 posts into the sleeves and bolt them together. As far as the burlap goes, i'm hoping we can just pull it tight and staple or nail it to the posts. I'm not sure how that will hold up against the wind though.

That's going to be almost 1300 sq ft. of sail area. That's going to be a big wind barrier. The posts should be at least four feet into the ground. With a 4x4" post, you are also going to have to come up with some kind of sturdy covers for the sleeves in the off season. You don't want some kid twisting a foot in there, or it filling up with soil and mulch.

Are the sleeves going into concrete?

I have been in the fencing industry for a lot of years before being a contractor. I've never seen a sleeve system for a temporary fence that works properly unless it was on concrete or asphalt, and it was big bucks. When you work it out, post it.

Mick

Oakleaf landscape
09-30-2010, 01:30 AM
I'm guessing you could put pvc pipes in the ground and have some concrete poured around them? Then to cover the top of the wholes while not in use have some sort of cap that you could screw into them? We had a set up like this at a golf course i worked at...

Crash
09-30-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm guessing you could put pvc pipes in the ground and have some concrete poured around them? Then to cover the top of the wholes while not in use have some sort of cap that you could screw into them? We had a set up like this at a golf course i worked at...

That's exactly what we were thinking. I still have to sort all the bugs out but we should be starting there in the next week or two. I'll post progress picks.

Fireguy97
10-01-2010, 01:21 AM

How are you planning to fit 4x4 square posts into round pipe in such a way to keep foreign material out?

Mick

Crash
10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
How are you planning to fit 4x4 square posts into round pipe in such a way to keep foreign material out?

Mick

I see your point...but I guess if they fit in there tight at the corners, I don't really care if foreign material gets in the sides. Once the posts are in for the Winter they won't be coming out till Spring. Then I'll just pull out the posts, clean out the sleeves and screw some caps on at ground level and cover them with mulch. We'll see if it works.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Why not use square metal tubing for your sleeves?
Posted via Mobile Device

Crash
10-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Why not use square metal tubing for your sleeves?
Posted via Mobile Device

That would make sense I guess. Would have to find the perfect size, so the posts are snug. And I'm not sure on the price, I'd need 27 pieces of square stock, probably what...at least 4' long? I'll have to check on that.

P.Services
10-02-2010, 03:22 PM
call CSI geoturf in highland. your making this waaaaaaaaaaaaay more complicated then it needs to be. No concrete, no sleeves. Either wrap each arb individually or use the pre fabed fence they make just for this reason. They use a massive oak post and the wind isnt going to break them, pound them in and yank them out in the spring.

Crash
10-02-2010, 05:42 PM
call CSI geoturf in highland. your making this waaaaaaaaaaaaay more complicated then it needs to be. No concrete, no sleeves. Either wrap each arb individually or use the pre fabed fence they make just for this reason. They use a massive oak post and the wind isnt going to break them, pound them in and yank them out in the spring.

Ok, maybe we'll give them a call. The customer wants to go away from wrapping them, we've done that the past couple years, for some reason he doesn't want to keep doing that...maybe for cost reasons, I'm not sure. But I'll see what these guys can do for us.

P.Services
10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
cost reasons??? and you think pouring a bloody footing, fabing up steel support beams and paying a armed crosswalk guard is going to be cheaper then wrapping them??? wtf!

what do you charge to wrap them? no more then a couple hundred i would guess.

800-621-7007- CSI

Crash
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
cost reasons??? and you think pouring a bloody footing, fabing up steel support beams and paying a armed crosswalk guard is going to be cheaper then wrapping them??? wtf!

what do you charge to wrap them? no more then a couple hundred i would guess.

800-621-7007- CSI

The arbs are getting to big to keep wrapping every year, plus, whenever you can put up a fence it's much better for the arb then wrapping it. And if we get everything right, this will be much more cost effective in the long run.

crab
10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
or you just wilt proof them.

Fireguy97
10-07-2010, 11:21 PM
or you just wilt proof them.

And how is that going to keep the road salt off of them?

Mick

djlunchbox
10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
5 gallon pails of concrete with a ABS sleeve embedded, bury the buckets deep enough to hold , cap the tops with plain abs caps in the summer (the black will stay hidden in the mulch) chain link fence posts that slide into the abs at least a few feet. sew burlap "tubes" a few layers thick. then sew the tubes to the long pieces. slide the tubes over the poles. poles into the abs, cut some wind relief holes in the burlap, and done. the poles can be tied together and stored onsite, and the whole fence can be rolled into one roll and put away. if it's too heavy , make 2 smaller rolls. how tall do you need it?

Cloud9Landscapes
10-11-2010, 02:20 AM
Burlap? Won't that turn black and rot over time, especially with the snow and salt? The stuff I see being used in my area is a green nylon/polyester product that holds up well in the sun and weather and is used extensively on construction sites and tennis courts. It comes pre-installed with grommets and is usually installed using black zip ties or medium gauge stainless steel or zinc plated metal wire. Then it is installed on temporary posts either cemented in or dug down about 2'

EDIT: The product that I was talking about is called windscreen and is made out of 100% vinyl. It is widely available from any fencing supply co.
http://www.fencescreen.com/