PDA

View Full Version : Do Your Customers Have Irrigation?

ShooterK2
09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I read a lot of threads on here where people mention that their lawns are dead due to lack of rain, and they now have nothing to mow, etc. Around here (western Oklahoma), all the nice lawns (as well as some not-so-nice ones) have sprinkler systems, so no matter how dry it gets, we always have green grass to cut. Now the HEAT can make it slow down on growth, but the irrigated yards still grow enough to warrant weekly cuttings.

So I'm just curious: What is your location, and do your customers have irrigated lawns, or do they just die out in the event of a drought? I'm just trying to get an idea of what parts of the country irrigated lawns are popular in.

SNAPPER MAN
09-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I would say over 95% of my lawns have irrigation. Very very few here do not have sprinkler systems.
Posted via Mobile Device

EliteYardServices
09-29-2010, 08:36 PM
In my county, if you build a home you need a sprinkler system with in 3 years on finished construction or you get fined till you get one. And 95% of P.I cities are irrigated and 60% of culinary cities are irrigated... so and 70% of utah county is irrigated...

wvaughn7
09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Where I'm from no one has an irrigation system. Some of the very highest end neighborhoods will have some, but other than that no one has one. I don't know of a single yard within 5 miles of my house that has any sprinklers unless its a Walmart sprinkler with a hose hooked up to it haha.

mowerbrad
09-29-2010, 09:47 PM
The majority of my customers have a sprinkling system. The only ones who don't, live in town in houses that were built back in the 60's and they have small lawns.

MR-G
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
here in my area most do have irrigation as well.....we usually wont even take them on if they dont have it due to lack of work from those without:usflag::usflag: during the dry months.

ShooterK2
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
here in my area most do have irrigation as well.....we usually wont even take them on if they dont have it due to lack of work from those without:usflag::usflag: during the dry months.

I've thought about doing this very thing for next year. I just haven't figured out how to tell folks no........

Fireguy97
09-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I've thought about doing this very thing for next year. I just haven't figured out how to tell folks no........

Never, ever tell a customer no. I never do. I just price it high enough that I'll be making money no matter what happens. Price it high enough for that yard that you will make money (over the season) and that you will come out profitable. Same as a PITA customer. Just price it high enought that it's worth your while to put up with it.

Mick

MJS
09-30-2010, 12:47 AM
I would say that my accounts are about 50/50 with irrigation systems... Most of the newer houses already have it these days - it's the original owners of older houses who are slow to make the switch.

I also have about 15 accounts with 90-100% zoysiagrass, which do fine without the irrigation anyway.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
09-30-2010, 12:55 AM
One customer has an irrigation system installed. One customer.

Southern Pride
09-30-2010, 12:55 AM
I hate it, it's just another way for a customer to be a PITA. I would say 80% of mine do not have irrigation systems. In this middle class area you see the wal mart sprinkler attached to hoses which is considered an irrigated yard I guess? I cannot even remember the last time It rained so my current job is "drive around and look at dormant yards guy" I hate it. People aren't about to pull out a sprinkler because they want to save a dime and get into winter as quick as possible. I do some upscale customers who have them and of course, still cutting them. I have one guy who consistantly uses his wal mart sprinkler and his yard is huge when I show up I love it. Seeing so many dry dustbowl brown yards I'm happy to pull up to an almost overgrown yard. This is something I didn't think about when I was first taking on customers I mean I'm still making good money from them during the normal cutting season but you combine fall and 0 nada zilch rain and you get no work. I hate it.

Southern Pride
09-30-2010, 12:57 AM
One customer has an irrigation system installed. One customer.

lol I know the feeling. What am I gonna do, not cut someone yard bc they don't water it? HA. Even those customers yards are cut consistantly until now and now I cuss em'

flatlander42
09-30-2010, 01:16 AM
I've got a few that I wish didn't have sprinklers.....They over-water enough that the lawn even smells like old stagnent water. My feet sink in when I trim. I tell them but they think more water will make their lawn greener.......that is just one of the many things that they are wrong about.

But to answer the origional question, yes most people have sprinkler systems. The rest don't even bother dragging a hose. Southern Nebraska.

Richard Martin
09-30-2010, 02:28 AM
Back in MD I had two customers with irrigation but only one used it. It wasn't that my customers were cheap because over half of them were loaded. It just wasn't the custom.

Here in NC none of my customers have irrigation and it's mostly because water is expensive. I sprinkled my lawn with just a hose and sprinkler stand before I'd go to work and then when I got home. In a month I used $120 worth of water. I can't even begin to imagine the cost if it were to run on a regular basis every night.

ShooterK2
09-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Back in MD I had two customers with irrigation but only one used it. It wasn't that my customers were cheap because over half of them were loaded. It just wasn't the custom.

Here in NC none of my customers have irrigation and it's mostly because water is expensive. I sprinkled my lawn with just a hose and sprinkler stand before I'd go to work and then when I got home. In a month I used $120 worth of water. I can't even begin to imagine the cost if it were to run on a regular basis every night.

WOW. What are they putting in your water to make it cost so much? I water several times a week here and never have a bill over $40, and that includes trash and sewer. The minimum bill is $18.50, and that's what mine always is when I'm not watering in the summer.

fastlane
09-30-2010, 09:56 AM
No! City water rates run $20-30 min. a month. Separate sewer bills are double the water bill. A 10,000 sq. ft. yard could easily be $200-$300 or more a month.

Richard Martin
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
WOW. What are they putting in your water to make it cost so much?

It's a minimum of $20 a month for up to 5,000 gallons. From there it starts to get expensive and the more you use the more they charge. There is no volume discount. They try to conserve water here and they discourage high useage through rates.