PDA

View Full Version : The big money maker for your business

soloscaperman
09-30-2010, 01:20 AM
What's your favorite when it comes to time and money? Spring cleanups, Mulch jobs, planting, regrading, seeding, treatments, tree work, trimming bushes, fall cleanups, or snow plowing?

My favorite would be Tree work and trimming bushes. They seem to make the most money quicker with less stress and overhead cost.

SkinnyVinny
09-30-2010, 01:27 AM
snow plowing hands down. I love it.. going out late at night, nobody on the roads, listening to crazy talk radio stuff. love it.

soloscaperman
09-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Yeah but the gas, and stress on the truck over time. I get nervous snow plowing unless I have a second truck. Those people are relying on you so they can go to work in the morning.

I do agree though have the music up, coffee, windows down and heat blasting whipping the truck side ways once in a while. The part that sucks is if your by yourself and once your done after a huge storm right about when you want to rest you got to go back out.

SkinnyVinny
09-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Yeah but the gas, and stress on the truck over time. I get nervous snow plowing unless I have a second truck. Those people are relying on you so they can go to work in the morning.

I do agree though have the music up, coffee, windows down and heat blasting whipping the truck side ways once in a while. The part that sucks is if your by yourself and once your done after a huge storm right about when you want to rest you got to go back out.

stress?? thats just because you drive a chevy! haha kidding. yea it does beat it up, I try to take it easy on her during stroms.... who the hell am i kidding, I baby the hell of my truck everyday haha. I see theses guys ramming piles and shifting on the fly, thats what kills your truck. I'd rather be pushin some snow then pushin some mulch haha

soloscaperman
09-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I remember one storm where I was on the road for like 8-10 hours straight then rested for 2 hours then went back out again! Just nervous with 200,000 miles on my original motor.Has the original head gaskets yikes! No worry I got a trained monkey that can do that in my garage since there so easy to do on the truck.

StihlMechanic
09-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Mine has to be vacant lot mowing. I just sit on my mower and dont get off. I charge more for trimming, but they rarely want that. Made 165 in an hour in a half, not super great, but not bad either.

PlantscapeSolutions
09-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Landscaping can pull down a profit of $1 - $2K a day on a good job with a crew.
Fertilization is also great. Pulling down $1K a day for a week just working solo.
Tree work is good money but climbing up a rope or hanging in a tree all day wears you out. I make any where from $55 - $100 an hour doing arborist work.
Landscape lighting can make you a grand even on a small job that takes half the day.
In general being diverse is where the money is at!

Hell on Blades
09-30-2010, 06:24 AM
I find the spring cleanups, especially the ones that haven't been done in a while, the most gratifying. I like to step back and look to see what I've accomplished in a day. They also tend to pay the best for the type of work that I do.

JBlawn
09-30-2010, 08:00 AM
I would say landscape intallls and fert. is by far the best money making availble in this buisness.

ShooterK2
09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I'd say mowing makes me the most money. Although I did make $75 for trimming a large hedge that took me a little over a half hour one time.

Just nervous with 200,000 miles on my original motor.Has the original head gaskets yikes!

It's a Chevrolet gasser, right? It's just gettin' broke in......

lawnangel1
09-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Clean ups with mulch and snow plowing.

MR-G
09-30-2010, 09:05 AM
honestly...outside of upscale installations (which are had to come by in this economy) we have done real well with a quality mow,edge,weedeat and blowdown service....25.00 per cut in/out in under 10 mins. and no stops with less than 3 in a row....has been working some pretty good numbers for us ....not my choice of work but in this economy its what pays the bills...we also spray the beds...no pulling though for this price...

ShooterK2
09-30-2010, 09:20 AM
honestly...outside of upscale installations (which are had to come by in this economy) we have done real well with a quality mow,edge,weedeat and blowdown service....25.00 per cut in/out in under 10 mins. and no stops with less than 3 in a row....has been working some pretty good numbers for us ....not my choice of work but in this economy its what pays the bills...we also spray the beds...no pulling though for this price...

That sounds like some good money right there. How many do you have on a crew?

Lugnut
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I remember one storm where I was on the road for like 8-10 hours straight then rested for 2 hours then went back out again! Just nervous with 200,000 miles on my original motor.Has the original head gaskets yikes! No worry I got a trained monkey that can do that in my garage since there so easy to do on the truck.

Just wait till you get a storm like we got this winter where we got 2.5 - 3' I was out for 36 hours straight with my 98 chevy with trees and wires down all over the place...no one had any power...had to cut up trees just to get to my accounts...thats stress. Hope we get another one like it again this year tho, standard storms just aren't that exciting anymore!

Lugnut
09-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Back to the topic my most profitable services are hardscapes by far, nothing else comes close, tree work and plowing are probably tied for second

weeble67
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
I have to say my make the most pure profit on aeration. I can plug a yard and then overseed it and it's great money. I do love clean up, both fall and spring. As for snow removal, I've only targeted my lawn care customers so I don't use my truck, I have the bladed atv, which is still fun.

STL Cuts
09-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I have to say my make the most pure profit on aeration. I can plug a yard and then overseed it and it's great money. I do love clean up, both fall and spring. As for snow removal, I've only targeted my lawn care customers so I don't use my truck, I have the bladed atv, which is still fun.

I agree with you. I came back from school this past weekend and knocked out 35 aerations between Saturday and Sunday with a buddy of mine helping me out.

Another bonus is the weather was pretty nice out.

I had one big sod install that came pretty close to the same margins this year.

Those were the best for me.

MR-G
09-30-2010, 09:23 PM
That sounds like some good money right there. How many do you have on a crew?its about 150.00 per hr per crew...three 3 man crews and growing....we still have 75% of our work in high end monthly contracts on 2 rigs...but were growing every day. its pretty good all around for this area...:usflag:

yardatwork
09-30-2010, 09:31 PM
snow plowing hands down. I love it.. going out late at night, nobody on the roads, listening to crazy talk radio stuff. love it.

Agreed! I love when people stress over big snow falls. I get excited. I like the rush, the driving on unplowed roads, taking a messy parking lot and making it look manicured and maintained. I love getting up at 4:00 and being home by noon with a fat wallet!

As for the lawn care end...I have monthly weed wacking clients. An apartment complex with a steep hill, a medical center that has a swamp and we can't get mowers into, a CAT diesel dealer that has a field of HUGE motors, a mining supply company that wants the enclosed fence line maintained, etc. They are all once a month weed wacking. I work about 4-5 hours and bring in around $650.

domain311
09-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Planting...no question...generally, the bigger or more expensive the wholesale cost of the tree, the more you can profit. Maintenance is good...and great to keep things going when we're slow, but landscape installs are a whole other game.

mowerbrad
09-30-2010, 09:49 PM
For me, the most profitable has been dethatching with my jrco dethatcher in the spring. I've pulled in over $1000 in one day solo doing that.

TJLANDS
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM
By far the best money making part of this business per hour or per day would be Snowplowing or salting. Nothing comes close percentage wise.

Chilehead
09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm solo, so for me it's chemicals & fertilizer. During the winter I'll do a few hardscaping jobs. Ponds pull in some big dough fast.

watsmi57
09-30-2010, 10:25 PM
give me something to mow...i like to sit :)

biggest money maker probably shrub/hedge trimming which i try to do in concert with straw laying.

although i did get $375 once for taking down 2 crepes and 2 medium sized bradford pears. took me and my helper 2 hrs

wait I pressure wash too and it's profitable...got $500 for 6 hrs on a house wash one time