PDA

View Full Version : Customer half started a flower bed, need me to finish.

GravyTrain
09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
One of my customer's son started a flower bed for her. Unfortunately, no work was done to the soil before they got started. In fact, they took the hard soil, which is probably solid clay, dug holes and planted a few plants. At least two of those plants are all but dead.

They then added a border where they want the edge of the flower bed and have asked me to put in some top soil and then cover in mulch. The bed is 63' feet long by about 7' deep on average (front edge is VERY curvy).

Here's my questions:

1) They will not pay for tilling up the soil and making sure the super soil gets mixed into deep and odds are they won't be willing to pay for more than about 2 yards of soil, giving it a depth of maybe 1.5". Is the super soil addition even worth it? and would you as a company charge a customer for work that won't see any benefit.

2) Would you insist that work be done on the soil before any further changes are made, including mulch, if so, what would you do?

3) If all the customer is willing to pay for is 2 yards of mulch, would you install the mulch.

Really appreciate some feedback here as I don't do much in regards to flower beds, especially when i don't get to start it and have a limited budget.

Fireguy97
09-30-2010, 01:48 AM
That's like putting a fresh coat of paint over rotting wood. Just because it looks prettier, doesn't mean that it's going to work properly.

You said it yourself; they just dug holes, planted in clay and killed the plants. Do they expect it to be all that much prettier if you don't do it right (the way that they want it done)? A dusting of soil isn't going to do a lot for improving the planting conditions.

If they are going to dictate how the job is to be done and the amount and quality of the materials, make sure that they understand that the warrantee is for as long as they can see your tail lights when you leave the jobsite.

Mick

clydebusa
09-30-2010, 05:46 AM
There is nothing wrong with not doing the job. Chances are if you bid the job to do it the right way they would decline it. So many times companys will do what the customer want and both are not happy when completed.