09-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Any suggestions

OBRYANMAINT
09-30-2010, 07:16 AM
sharp ones

Greyst1
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
sharp ones

Really, after all these years.... Are you for hire?

Runner
10-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Hands down, the best blades for doing leaves in ANY location are Gator type blades. Doubles or singles, gator type are the way to go.

MJS
10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Hands down, the best blades for doing leaves in ANY location are Gator type blades. Doubles or singles, gator type are the way to go.

I would second that.
Gator blades make my life a lot easier when oak leaves start falling.

rcslawncare
10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Gators will really help...

superman9379
10-01-2010, 02:57 AM
I'm just a homeowner, but recently ordered a mulch kit for my Hustler Sport. When placing the order, I specifically asked about gator blades as I was wanting to mulch fall leaves. My dealer did not suggest using them saying they have less lift and do not give as good of a cut. My dealer said the stock mulching blades would work just fine on leaves. I figure I'll give the regular mulch blades a try and if they don't work to my satisfaction then I will order some gator blades.

Southern Pride
10-01-2010, 02:57 AM
Okay, heres my q.

If you have a mulch kit (baffles and all and chute blocker) are mulching blades better or would gators still be better? I ask because I used gators all season without realizing I needed mulching blades to produce the best crisp cut. Finally got the mulching blades which give a better cut but I am still in the air if they are better with leaves or if the gators would be better? Please let me know. Mower in question is an exmark metro 36" walk behind like said mulching kit, baffles and chute blocker. Thanks in advance.

Richard Martin
10-01-2010, 03:45 AM
I specifically asked about gator blades as I was wanting to mulch fall leaves. My dealer did not suggest using them saying they have less lift and do not give as good of a cut.

As a lawn care professional since 1994 I wholeheartedly recommend Gators. I have mowed thousands upon thousands of lawns in all of these years. Quality of cut has never been an issue with Gators on many different mowers.

Gators also come in a high lift. Gators aren't that expensive. Try your factory mulchers and then try the Gators. You will probably find that the Gators pulverize the leaves much quicker.

hackitdown
10-01-2010, 06:14 AM
I plan to switch over to Gators this weekend. They do a nice job shredding up the leaves. They take up less space in the bagger when shredded up.

Meg-Mo
10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Take a look at my web site for mulching leaves.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
10-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I just run 2 blades on each spindle and it has worked great for me for yrs now. JMO.

James

ashgrove landscaping
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Gators all the way

Puddle of Oil
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I have gator highlift blades, there on all year. They cut up the leaves real good!
Posted via Mobile Device

redskinsfan34
10-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I have gator highlift blades, there on all year. They cut up the leaves real good!
Posted via Mobile Device

You beat me to it Andy. I run gator blades all year. I've never has an issue with quality of cut. I've heard people say they don't leave stripes as good as reg. hi-lifts. But that's just not the case with my ztr.

superman9379
10-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Okay, heres my q.

If you have a mulch kit (baffles and all and chute blocker) are mulching blades better or would gators still be better? I ask because I used gators all season without realizing I needed mulching blades to produce the best crisp cut. Finally got the mulching blades which give a better cut but I am still in the air if they are better with leaves or if the gators would be better? Please let me know. Mower in question is an exmark metro 36" walk behind like said mulching kit, baffles and chute blocker. Thanks in advance.

I think this is a great question. When people recommend gator blades, they don't usually specify if they have a mulch kit installed. I have a feeling they do not have a mulch kit installed as it appears most PROs do not use mulch kits as it slows them down. SO, which is better for mulching leaves;

Mulch kit (with baffles and chute blocker) with mulching blades
or
Mulch kit (with baffles and chute blocker) with gator blades (high lift?, 3 in 1? or G6?)
or
No mulch kit but gator blades installed (high lift?, 3 in 1?, or G6?)

Richard Martin
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
SO, which is better for mulching leaves;

Mulch kit (with baffles and chute blocker) with mulching blades
or
Mulch kit (with baffles and chute blocker) with gator blades (high lift?, 3 in 1? or G6?)
or
No mulch kit but gator blades installed (high lift?, 3 in 1?, or G6?)

I suggest you try different blades and see what happens. No two people have the same expectations. No two mowers are exactly the same. No two lawns are the same etc...

This is why you get a whole lot of differing opinions even when talking about the same blades. I can't sit in North Carolina, have a 60" Dixie Chopper, with my own methods of dealing with leaves, and tell you what a specific blade will do on your mower.

Southern Pride
10-02-2010, 01:49 AM
That sucks lol

With my true mulching kit my mulching blades have been awesome, whatever the conditions are.
When I was very ignorant (all season up until the end of august) I ran gator blades with an official mulch kit all season like an idiot and my quality of cut suffered big time, but hey, you live any you learn.

DAR57
10-02-2010, 06:51 AM
I prefer the mulching blades when the baffles are all in for doing leaves. ONLY because there doesnt seem to be as much "blow-out" as with gators. You going to get dirty either way but less is better in this case! IMO