PDA

View Full Version : A Few Photos

JimLewis
09-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Here's a few select photos from a job we did today. Just a quick one day lighting job. I know I'm not the best photographer. And not even the best at lighting compared to some of the guys on this site. But I thought this job turned out kinda nice despite all that.

JimLewis
09-30-2010, 03:20 AM
I know, I know, I know....... some of the up lights are a little too hot. It was difficult to control that because we were already using a 20w MR11 lamp and the palm trees are just to young right now. The light fixture is too close to them. I couldn't find a way to soften that any more. I think it will look better as the palms mature. Same problem with the first photo and the bamboo. I tried my best to diffuse the hot area there too. Went from a 35w 24 degree MR16 to a 35w 36 degree MR16 so I could get a more broad spread. But it only helped a little. And it looks better in person than I was able to capture in the photos too. But like I said above, despite all this, I thought the project turned out pretty nice.

They liked it so much they're having us back next week for more lighting.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the waterfall to the right of the steps is being hit by a 50w 12degree MR16 from about 20' away with a Unique Lunar fixture with a blue dichroic lens.

steveparrott
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Very nice Jim. I like what you've done and the fact that the homeowners are happy is the most important thing.

As you note, it is unfortunate that you weren't able to find fixture locations that reduce the hot spots on plants. This is challenge for almost every job; in my travels I see it all the time.

I'm always looking for alternatives for illuminating small bushes. One of the best ways is to position fixtures several feet to the side of target plants and angle the beam to graze them.

nikster78
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Looks nice Jim. Have you or anyone else here ever thought about using one of those baffles to tone down the light.

Terradek
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I would suggest 10w mr11 with a frosted lens on the small palms...Lens are very inexpensive and should be in everyone's truck just for these situations.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-30-2010, 02:31 PM
I would suggest an entirely different fixture / lamp combination be used to light small plants, shrubs, and even immature trees. By using a soft wash / flood fixture with 1.5W BiPin LED lamps, or 10w or 20W xenon BiPin lamps, you get a nice, soft, wide, even distribution of light.

We just finished installing a system on a new 'scape' and used 30 HK ZXF50 flood fixtures to highlight a large natural stone wall and much of the new plantings. http://www.hklightinggroup.com/SpecificationSheet.aspx?ItemID=140&CataLogID=2 The effect is really nice and blends in with the soft downlighting. All of the levels look even. I will take some photos tonight or tomorrow and post here.

Regards

Terradek
09-30-2010, 02:38 PM
James,
Look forward to seeing the effect you described...are these the fixtures we supplied? If so, I am glad to hear that they worked out for you. ZXF50 is the correct model # not ZX50 as stated in my Header.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
James,
Look forward to seeing the effect you described...are these the fixtures we supplied? If so, I am glad to hear that they worked out for you. ZXF50 is the correct model # not ZX50 as stated in my Header.

Shhhhhhhhh! - Jerry you are not supposed to be revealing my sources like that! :laugh:

turf21
09-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Looks really nice

Pro-Scapes
10-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I actually tried Tom Williams suggestion of using screens to dimminish output. This had some great advantages. One I am able to use the fixture and lamp I will use when the trees are larger. 2 I can fit them in just about any fixture because I cut them myself and control the size.

Another advantage is it did not alter the color of the light nor did it seem to alter the beam spread that I could tell like a lens will.

With that said lenses are a must to keep in your tool kit. When I order fixtures from Gambino it includes a baggie with a clip and a few different lenses.

RLI Electric
10-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I second the screens. Learned it from Jan and it has helped out tremendously on a few occasions. Plus it makes you feel like McGyver.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Another technique you can use to soften the output of a bullet style fixture is to use a standard BiPin lamp instead of the MR16 lamp. With no reflector behind it to focus the beam you get a similar effect as a soft wash / flood.

RLI Electric
10-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Whoa, that's pretty cool

Tomwilllight
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the credit on the use of screens guys. Jan appreciated the tip too. Theatre and Cinema lighting Designers have used Neutral Density Grey filters since the 60's to reduce intensity without changing color temperature. And before the polyester and polycarbonate filters were available for the same job... they used screens.

I just rolled an old technology into a new application. Studying theatre history has it rewards.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Here are some photos of small scale and immature plantings that I have lit with HK floods using 1.5w G4 BiPin LED lamps and 10W Xenon BiPin lamps. As the foliage matures we will reposition and increase the lamp output to the new, brighter, omnidirectional G5.3 BiPin LED lamps.