PDA

View Full Version : Ideas Please.

TPnTX
09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Ive done quite a few landscape lighting jobs. Ideas come pretty easily when your doing plants and grazing walls. This job is a bit more of a challenge so I thought I'd see what you guys think.

Its an old house made into a restaurant in a historical district.
The is already two fluorescent lights in the center gable downlighting the sign.

You can see this place from the downtown area about 1/8 of a mile. From the square its at the end of a dead end street facing downtown. So they want to light it up.

The biggest issue is the sign must remain pretty bright.
Then I'm thinking up lighting avoiding windows, but also lighting the second story.

This may be a job for downlighting from the the sofits more than up lighting because of the windows.

Classic Lighting
09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
IMO, the extended gables provide an excellent mounting location for down lighting. The siding is clean and free from obstructions which would cause shadows. It looks like the concrete goes up to the brick pillars, so down light would be the only option.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Opportunities Abound! Do not fall into the rut of simply uplighting this building like almost every McMansion in Suburbia. Make sure you get rid of the FL fixtures lighting the sign. They have no place in this application. Use downlighting from the inside and outside surfaces of the fascia on those three gables (looks like open rafter construction giving you some unique opportunities to hide fixtures and wire) recessed pots across the main porch/entry, some limited uplighting of the brick 'pillars' and a big display of up and downlighting in the trees behind and to the left and right (assuming they are on the property) {this will help to frame the building}

Good luck.

TPnTX
09-30-2010, 09:14 PM
yes Im loving it. the FL really blast the whole area. It should be too difficult to illuminate the sign while not washing out everything else.

I may need some path lights as well. I can see lighting the walkways(which isn't in the pic) from the building.

I can replace the light on the column with an up/down light and use a matching one on the other column. The gusset thing would hide the wires. Im guessing the house was wired for a porch light.

The trees are all on property. We talked about those. On the right will be a deck and he wants a moon lighting appearance. No problem.

What do you thing about the second story. I can easily up light it or down light it either way. Im having a little trouble with that. My gut tell me to up light it for a more dramatic look.

Thanks a lot guys for the help.

TPnTX
09-30-2010, 09:18 PM
james what do mean outside the fascia. I know the term but what are you seeing to put lights outside the fascia?