PDA

View Full Version : Brown Shrubs

Jimbo
08-13-2002, 04:37 PM
Should shrub trimming be put off during the summer months? I recently did a job and the shrubs tips have since turned brown. My explanation to the customer was that it is due to the severe drought?
Just curious what time of year you normally perform this type of service.
*I would have waited till fall but they were getting out of control.

Jim

Floridalandcare
08-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Check the following ,sharp hedge trimmers just like grass the sharper the better.Fungus on hedge trimmers, this can be kept in check by spraying WD40 on the blades and wipping of the excess. over-pumping grease4 into the gearbox will cause in to leak out at the base of the blades and spread throught the blades as you use them causing seriously burnt tips. Check the following and I would trim them again a half inch lower and that should take care of the problem , Drought shouldnt have an effect unless theyre wilted and even then it shouldnt matter to that extreme .

wmsland
08-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Wait for cooler, wetter weather. Also not only is the air temperature warm, but you also have the hot exhaust of the hedge clippers blowing on the shrubs.

KenH
08-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Florida has it right....dull blades.

Premo Services
08-13-2002, 11:07 PM
It is impossible to do, but shrubs should be trimmed in the spring, while they have time to grow out again before the heat gets too bad and they slow their growth.. That is why they are turning brown.
This is not easily done, some of my customers wait until the end of summer to have them trimmed, and they know they will brown. All the ones I trimmed in the spring never browned. JMO

Jimbo
08-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

The Blades were not dull. I bought the trimmers brand new for this job.

I think its the heat.

Jim

dforbes
08-14-2002, 12:15 AM
Shrubs are like people, everyone is different. Some need trimmed in the spring others in the fall. The best thing to do is pick up a good book identify what your working with and follow the instructions. Pruning some shrubs at the wrong time can even effect thier flowering. My advice would be if your not sure, spend a few minutes and research. Your customer will surely appreciate your honesty and your new found knowledge

AltaLawnCare
08-14-2002, 09:33 AM
They're going to stress due to the drought, and time of year. See if its possible to water........a deep watering once a wek to help them get through.