PDA

View Full Version : 48" Ferris IS1500Z for $5900. Yay or Nay?

zoony
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2010 IS1500Z for $5900. It's not a demo or anything, just an end of season special. I'm told normal retail is $6499 or so.

It is a 48" deck so the ICD cutting system is not available (only available on 52" and greater. The dealer is telling me it is a 20 HP Kawasaki, but the website says 21. The dealer claims the website is wrong. So not sure on that :)

Will I regret not getting the 52" ICD deck? (that model is regular price at $6899 iirc). The 48 does appeal to me because I do have a lot of tight spots to get into. The dealer was sort of wishy washy with his opinion on the ICD deck -vs- the standard.

Will I be happy with this mower? Is the 20 Horse enough?

Thanks everyone, I welcome any feedback, positive or negative.

punt66
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I have the 52/25 version. I wouldnt go smaller for sure. 1k more for a bigger deck and more hp?

zoony
09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
I have the 52/25 version. I wouldnt go smaller for sure. 1k more for a bigger deck and more hp?

essentially. You think it's worth it then?

pugs
09-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I just checked with my distributor...the website probably hasnt been updated. They have a sheet introducing the 20HP version. The 21's have sold out so they have moved to the Kawasaki FX engine lineup in that model which is a 20HP.

punt66
09-30-2010, 02:37 PM
essentially. You think it's worth it then?

i do, i have been running that machine flawlessly

zoony
09-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I just checked with my distributor...the website probably hasnt been updated. They have a sheet introducing the 20HP version. The 21's have sold out so they have moved to the Kawasaki FX engine lineup in that model which is a 20HP.

Thanks for that, turns out the dealer is correct after all. Are there any +/- to the FX engine vs the previous?

i do, i have been running that machine flawlessly

Thank you sir! I am curious about the difference between the standard and ICD decks, in terms of performance.

scagman52
09-30-2010, 03:27 PM
zoony...I was in the market a few months ago and was interested in the same Ferris mower, mainly because of the suspension. My local dealer did not have the new deck in stock and he came right out and told me that the old deck doesn't cut very good and if you want to add the mulch kit he said it sucks bad. I ended up with a Scag Tiger Cat 48" with the Velocity Plus deck. I bought a Michagan suspension seat on Ebay for $150.00 and that solved my ride problems. !9hp Kawasaki has plenty of power. Scag is right when the say Scag is simply the best!

punt66
09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for that, turns out the dealer is correct after all. Are there any +/- to the FX engine vs the previous?

Thank you sir! I am curious about the difference between the standard and ICD decks, in terms of performance.

well i cant say anything about the icd deck. But i have seen threads on here that both love and hate them.

zoony
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
zoony...I was in the market a few months ago and was interested in the same Ferris mower, mainly because of the suspension. My local dealer did not have the new deck in stock and he came right out and told me that the old deck doesn't cut very good and if you want to add the mulch kit he said it sucks bad. I ended up with a Scag Tiger Cat 48" with the Velocity Plus deck. I bought a Michagan suspension seat on Ebay for $150.00 and that solved my ride problems. !9hp Kawasaki has plenty of power. Scag is right when the say Scag is simply the best!

Scag is on my radar as well. But, I'm looking at another $2500 for a comparably equipped model. I'm having trouble justifying it. No doubt they are nice machines.

well i cant say anything about the icd deck. But i have seen threads on here that both love and hate them.

Thanks - I am told it's pretty much a direct copy of the Scag deck. I read a few of those threads as well, seems like most everyone liked them except for one guy who had a problem with a belt slipping off or something. What I'm having trouble finding info about is the performance of the "old" deck. Maybe it's not necessary in a 48?

punt66
09-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Scag is on my radar as well. But, I'm looking at another $2500 for a comparably equipped model. I'm having trouble justifying it. No doubt they are nice machines.

Thanks - I am told it's pretty much a direct copy of the Scag deck. I read a few of those threads as well, seems like most everyone liked them except for one guy who had a problem with a belt slipping off or something. What I'm having trouble finding info about is the performance of the "old" deck. Maybe it's not necessary in a 48?

I run the old deck. Works fine for me and every other LCO here. Seems most run ferris here. When things are wet it can clump. But i have had that with every mower.

PLS-Tx
09-30-2010, 10:11 PM
We just bought a is2000 with the ICD deck, and the cut is great. This is our first Ferris so I can't compare it to the old deck but compared to our Dixie's it's a great cut.

Oh, the ride is second to none and the 30hp Big Block has more than enough power for the 61" deck. It blows the Dixie's away, they have a 33hp Generac with 60" deck.

Planning to get another Ferris soon, just not sure which one yet. We may go with another 2000 or maybe the 3100.

zoony
09-30-2010, 10:28 PM
We just bought a is2000 with the ICD deck, and the cut is great. This is our first Ferris so I can't compare it to the old deck but compared to our Dixie's it's a great cut.

Oh, the ride is second to none and the 30hp Big Block has more than enough power for the 61" deck. It blows the Dixie's away, they have a 33hp Generac with 60" deck.

Planning to get another Ferris soon, just not sure which one yet. We may go with another 2000 or maybe the 3100.

I've probably read for hours on this site using the search feature. There are like 2 critics of the ICD deck that pop up into almost every thread, lol. Everyone else seems to really love them.

The old Ferris decks, however, seem to get a lot of criticism. I might be leaning towards the 52" ICD at this point.

Thanks everyone for the input.

zoony
10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Well, I ended up with the 52" ICD with the bigger motor. I got a good deal, at least I think :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post a few pics tomorrow if I get time.

punt66
10-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, I ended up with the 52" ICD with the bigger motor. I got a good deal, at least I think :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll post a few pics tomorrow if I get time.

:clapping::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup: