PDA

View Full Version : Coloured MR16's

emby
09-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Gentlemen,

Just wondering if any of you have a reputable source(manufacturer) for good quality red and green MR16's. 20 or 35 watt BAB's would be perfect.
Debating on using filters or coloured bulbs so any suggestions would be welcomed.
The application is grazing the stone on the front of a house for Christmas time and the customer would like to use the landscape lights for some colour.
Thanks everybody.

Ken

nikster78
09-30-2010, 06:07 PM
There are tons of colored lens covers out there. IMO a lens cover would be more cost effective and the customer could reuse them each year.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Hey Ken. Turf Care will have a good selection of coloured glass lenses and mounting clips to go on front of your MR16 lamps. There are a couple of specialty lamps manu's making colour lensed lamps, but I have my doubts on the quality of the lamps. Best to stick with GE, or LED MR16s from Illumicare, and just change the lenses as required.

Terradek
10-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I agree...my experience with colored MR16, Pars, etc is that the color coating fades out after a short time...Best to use lens with quality lamps. It also gives you more flexibility in case the customer changes their mind about which color they like. We stock a variety of lens for MR11, and MR16 lamps, for seasonal applications. Fall is a great time to consider using Amber, Red and Yellow lens to add punch to the fall colors.

Viewpoint
10-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Red and Green lenses are the way to go. I did this for the entry to a housing development lined with crepe myrtles. MR-16s year round, but at Xmas time, I just drop in a red or green filter, and its done. When the season's over I take them back out and store them til next year. You could even just drop the filter on top of the glass lens of the fixture and not even need to open them up. This would depend on the fixture and application (uplight with lens shroud to hold the lens, no leaf blowers to blow the lens off, etc.) This way, the homeowner could do it themself each year without tampering with your perfectly placed fixture!

emby
10-02-2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks everybody. With all the comments its pretty much a no brainer to proceed with the coloured lens.
I am very glad that you all share your wisdom and experiences.
Once again thanks.:)

Ken