PDA

View Full Version : Brand new exmark in the shop more than the field

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Ok well i got this new 60" Exmark Lazor w/ the ultra VAC
Last year mid fall....
finished through the fall
Used it little this year because i used my 72'' Dixie chopper alot more (because of its speed and big size)

But i sold the dixie in july and started using this more
all a sudden im breaking belts like every 10 hours
Weingartz has this mower almost every other week
Only have 300 hours on it
They dont know whats wrong with it either!
But tech. its too late to return it
I think their policy is 30 days or 100hrs
Has anyone had this problem??
Or is going though this same problem??

BrunoT
09-30-2010, 06:09 PM
I think I see the problem. You may have been stuck with one of those cheap Chinese made knockoff "lazors". Exmark sells the "lazer". :laugh:

Ok, seriously, you need to try to think through the belt issue and figure out what's going on yourself, because you spend more time with it than the dealer. First of all, is the ultra vac still on it? I assume that could be a big suspect if deck belts are the ones breaking. Something might be out of adjustment there.

But I hope you're not taking it to a dealer just to replace belts. Even with warranties, it's cheaper to just buy belts and do it yourself.

But unless you find the issue, you can't afford the belts it'd take, so try to work back and see where there might be any undue stresses on the machine.

FYI, you can get belts cheaper aftermarket and it's always good to have at least one spare for each belt in inventory to avoid downtime.

I have personally had pump belt issues when I tried to accelerate a lazer too fast. Where I might not have one go bad all season I found on days I tried to really gun it from a stop repeatedly I'd have it go bad in a day. I learned to just gradually accelerate, which is all I can do normally anyway, as it would tear the turf I mow on in many cases if I gunned it out of a turn. The reason I mention this is as someone with a DC mower you're probably into high speed mowing. Maybe the Exmark design just won't tolerate shoving the handles forward like that and it's burning up that belt.

h2oskier
09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Ok well i got this new 60" Exmark Lazor w/ the ultra VAC
Last year mid fall....
finished through the fall
Used it little this year because i used my 72'' Dixie chopper alot more (because of its speed and big size)

But i sold the dixie in july and started using this more
all a sudden im breaking belts like every 10 hours
Weingartz has this mower almost every other week
Only have 300 hours on it
They dont know whats wrong with it either!
But tech. its too late to return it
I think their policy is 30 days or 100hrs
Has anyone had this problem??
Or is going though this same problem??

We will now change your id to "cutting out to the dealer" JK hope you are able to get this issue resolved. I just couldn't resist

Bassmar
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
This might be a stupid question but at what rpm or throttle speed do you engage the blades?
My Laser manual say to engage at half throttle. Just a thought that may or may not help. Hope it does help!
Some times I forget but most of time I do engage the PTO at half throttle.:hammerhead:

cuttin-to-the-Max
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I think I see the problem. You may have been stuck with one of those cheap Chinese made knockoff "lazors". Exmark sells the "lazer". :laugh:

Ok, seriously, you need to try to think through the belt issue and figure out what's going on yourself, because you spend more time with it than the dealer. First of all, is the ultra vac still on it? I assume that could be a big suspect if deck belts are the ones breaking. Something might be out of adjustment there.

But I hope you're not taking it to a dealer just to replace belts. Even with warranties, it's cheaper to just buy belts and do it yourself.

But unless you find the issue, you can't afford the belts it'd take, so try to work back and see where there might be any undue stresses on the machine.

FYI, you can get belts cheaper aftermarket and it's always good to have at least one spare for each belt in inventory to avoid downtime.

I have personally had pump belt issues when I tried to accelerate a lazer too fast. Where I might not have one go bad all season I found on days I tried to really gun it from a stop repeatedly I'd have it go bad in a day. I learned to just gradually accelerate, which is all I can do normally anyway, as it would tear the turf I mow on in many cases if I gunned it out of a turn. The reason I mention this is as someone with a DC mower you're probably into high speed mowing. Maybe the Exmark design just won't tolerate shoving the handles forward like that and it's burning up that belt.

We will now change your id to "cutting out to the dealer" JK hope you are able to get this issue resolved. I just couldn't resist

Ahahahahha! My Bad on the spelling!
But NO im not sending it to the dealer just to get new belts put on. Im returning it so they can fix it!
(New pulleys,belts, etc.)
Yeah i know my DC was faster but i dont treat my exmark like that

** DC was more about making money than the cut looking nice!
The Exmark has a way better cut**

Im not usually on this mower either but i always supervise my guys when they use it. They are definitely more about the quality not too much about speed like myself......But thats why i used to like my DC better

lol and NO i dont keep the vac system on all year long that'd suck! what would be the point! (I also took off the weights and everything except for the dumping lever)

This might be a stupid question but at what rpm or throttle speed do you engage the blades?
My Laser manual say to engage at half throttle. Just a thought that may or may not help. Hope it does help!
Some times I forget but most of time I do engage the PTO at half throttle.:hammerhead:

Half throttle alwayssssssss!
I only cut at half also

Bassmar
10-01-2010, 04:24 PM
I fgured you did but had to ask about the half throttle.:)

I am pretty sure it is not recomended to cut at half throttle due to over heating of engine and hydraulics though. I do it once in awhile but not very long, depending on trimming areas and objects on discharge side. you might want to ask your dealer or check owners manual. I know that is not causing your belt issues, sorry I couldnt help with that.

I really like my Exmark, it is a smooth and nice cut. Makes my smaller Dixon seem like a toy. LOL But the Dixon has its advantages in smaller yards.

Good Luck with your problem.

lazer 46
10-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been using Exmarks for 13 years. Have owned 6 Lazers and 8 walk behinds. Have never broken a belt. Have never cut at half throttle. It's not recommended.

GravelyGuy
10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
My 2009 Lazer has been bullet proof. Over 600 hrs, no new parts or adjustments.

I engage blades at 1/2 throttle and disengage at 1/4.

Jimslawncareservice
10-01-2010, 06:46 PM
which belts are breaking? deck, hydro, drive?

soloscaperman
10-01-2010, 06:53 PM
For my 2008 27HP Kohler Exmark recommends starting 1/2 throttle to engage and 1/2 throttle to disengage.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Oh my bag guys when i meant cut at half i was thinking about my dixie which has 2 motors so half would be like 1 its confusing
but i cut mostly at full
the deck belts are the ones that break

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-01-2010, 11:57 PM
I've been using Exmarks for 13 years. Have owned 6 Lazers and 8 walk behinds. Have never broken a belt. Have never cut at half throttle. It's not recommended.

Yeah i started out with a metro 32'' 12 years ago still have it then got a 60" Lazor HATED IT wayyy tooo many problems
So i sold it and avoided it for 11 years!
(Got a dixie and like 3 JD's )
Now im back to exmark 11 years later
I kinda LOVE it because it make the lawn look like a carpet but thats only when its NOT in the shop! :cry:

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Yeah i started out with a metro 32'' 12 years ago still have it then got a 60" Lazor HATED IT wayyy tooo many problems
So i sold it and avoided it for 11 years!
(Got a dixie and like 3 JD's )
Now im back to exmark 11 years later
I kinda LOVE it because it make the lawn look like a carpet but thats only when its NOT in the shop! :cry:

What deck is on the Exmark?

h2oskier
10-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Oh my bag guys when i meant cut at half i was thinking about my dixie which has 2 motors so half would be like 1 its confusing
but i cut mostly at full
the deck belts are the ones that break

Now your "cuttin to half the max"Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Jimslawncareservice
10-02-2010, 08:33 AM
if its the deck belt you have a worn idler or pully some where. or something is bent. i have an xs 60' triton with over 900 hours on the deck belt. some times dealer are just to much of a pain to figure things out. look at it your self. a couple years ago i had an hp making this god awfull screaching noise. was in the shop twice and the last tim i brought it in they refused it because it was a saturday. i was working with sales to buy 2 more units. told him to cancel it. so he came and fixed himself. but i still cancelled and bought a scag. i have not set one foot in that store since.

TLS
10-02-2010, 09:31 AM
When the UV was installed, was the double pulley installed correctly?

Are you using OEM eXmark belts?

If yes to both, you either have an obstruction of some sort coming in contact with the belt, a tensioner out of adjustment, or an alignment problem.

Check each and every pulley for an imbedded stick or debris in the crack of the V. I've seen sticks get wedged in there and cause havoc for something so simple.

What height are you cutting at?

I know on my SuperZ, if it put it in transport height, the belt is at a HORRIBLE angle from clutch to deck. It' prefers a 2.5" height to be a straight shot from clutch to deck. Don't know how the new Lazer is set up for that.

The old Lazers had the Mule drive which allowed for a lot more of an up and down angle difference.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
What deck is on the Exmark?

Its a 60" Ultra cut Series 7 (? reading labels off the mower) Lazer Z

if its the deck belt you have a worn idler or pully some where. or something is bent. i have an xs 60' triton with over 900 hours on the deck belt. some times dealer are just to much of a pain to figure things out. look at it your self. a couple years ago i had an hp making this god awfull screaching noise. was in the shop twice and the last tim i brought it in they refused it because it was a saturday. i was working with sales to buy 2 more units. told him to cancel it. so he came and fixed himself. but i still cancelled and bought a scag. i have not set one foot in that store since.

I know thats what they thought so they had to replace both pulleys....
I would start tinkering with it but i dont want to do something that voids my warranty ALSO I just dont have the TIME! I need my mowers!

stan the man
10-02-2010, 12:42 PM
sound like my walker got it 2008 new every month it is in the shop new belts and they did the pulleys my 2006 got it new great .last month belts again 2008 took it back to the dealer went and got new exmark Navigator i send letter to walker about it see if they get back to me on it