PDA

View Full Version : Quality

boonehockey
09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
What are some things that seperate low ball crews and companies that really care about quality. A few, I think, are grass in the cracks and beds.,What are some that come to mind from your expierence.

Premier landscaping south
09-30-2010, 09:06 PM
A few that come to mind are a nice clean edge on sidewalks and drives. Made with an edger not a string trimmer turned upside down.

Not leaving any clumps or long strings of unmulched grass on turf after mowing.

Cleaning up after fertilizing. Not leaving tons of fert on sidewalks and drives like some large company's I know.

Uniforms.

boonehockey
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes, I do all those. From working with big companies I notice a lack of employee image like smoking all the time and lots of cussing.

SNAPPER MAN
09-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Things that I believe separate you from the rest is making sure there are no weeds in cracks, flowerbeds are kept clean and weed free, hedges are trimmed as needed, turf never has any clippings laying on top and is bagged when needed, and the biggest is communication. Talk with your customers about their properties needs and stay on top of things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kennedy Landscaping
10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Things that I believe separate you from the rest is making sure there are no weeds in cracks, flowerbeds are kept clean and weed free, hedges are trimmed as needed, turf never has any clippings laying on top and is bagged when needed, and the biggest is communication. Talk with your customers about their properties needs and stay on top of things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Couldn't agree more. I only do fert. for very very select few customers. But when I do I blow the sidewalks off too, Trugreen really irritates me, they do alot of my lawns and when the do granular they make a mess all over.

boonehockey
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
So it's a lot of simple, easy to do things that most companies just are to lazy to do.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM
So it's a lot of simple, easy to do things that most companies just are to lazy to do.

Basically yes, one thing I like to do is just stand around and BS with the customer. Some customers just pay you the money and go on their way, others like to stand around and talk to you for a while. I believe that when you humor them and carry on a conversation for a few minutes, it shows them you respect them and things like that can really go a long ways.

MDLawn
10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
A few that come to mind are a nice clean edge on sidewalks and drives. Made with an edger not a string trimmer turned upside down.
Not leaving any clumps or long strings of unmulched grass on turf after mowing.

Cleaning up after fertilizing. Not leaving tons of fert on sidewalks and drives like some large company's I know.

Uniforms.

Premier, I am not saying you are wrong just curious as to why this you think is better. I think its the person using the trimmer that matters. I've see the edges of careless guys and they are 2" wide:dizzy: I use the edger when needed but keep a tight egde with a trimmer. I also have not found one guy who can do it like me, but when does any worker do what you do! My customers, and even thier picky neighbors, give me compliments on their edges (trust me they're picky!) and I don't regularly use an edger. Again areas of the country may differ in what exactly the needs are. It's just using a different tool to do the job right? As long as it is done right and looks good what difference does the tool make. I do believe that you NEED to use an edger to open the edge up.

Oh and for those of you waiting to jump on someone and say "See you're a lowball, etc...." grow up. I pride myself on quality work just like the rest.

HighGrass
10-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I think even large LCO's have a problem keeping workers attitudes at a professional level. You put a couple of kids a mower, they're gonna mow like couple kids on a mower.

boonehockey
10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Well me be only 18 years old, I take a great deal of pride into my work because, I know good work sells itself, so Im looking to raise the bar around my neigbrohood.

HighGrass
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Well me be only 18 years old, I take a great deal of pride into my work because, I know good work sells itself, so Im looking to raise the bar around my neigbrohood.
That's good to here. We can use a lot more young people like you. When you're older like some of us, you'll see even more clear why your attitude is so important. :clapping:

bonzo1012
10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Clean-up is probably the most important. Take a closer look at the house when your done make sure ther are no grass clippng stuck in the cob webs of the house. Only takes a min to walk around perimerter of house and blow off foundation and windows. Front entrances are the most important as well as garages too blow them off real good. a little bit of roundup every visit goes a long way too. Blow off your driveways twice dont leave one clipping behind, people take notice.

kilgoja
10-01-2010, 09:32 PM
even people that do a good job can have yards that look bad....i've had customers where i offered to trim their hedges but they said no i'll do it (and they never get around to it) or one guy wanted me to cut his yard and not trim or edge or blow off anything....they are just cheap customers lol...they don't want to pay for a good job...of course i try to avoid these kind but sometimes you do it for a little extra money if things are slow...so to someone driving by it would appear that i was a low baller doing a crappy job....but i did what i was paid for...and did a quality job at it...just putting that out there...can't always judge a book by it's cover

obviously you want edging,trimming, grass blown off, straight mowing lines or stripes, no weeds in the beds, no grass/weeds in the cracks of the driveway etc.

Florida Gardener
10-01-2010, 09:40 PM
in my opinion, it is weed control and detail. Even your "decent work" companies leave clippings, slack on weed control,etc.

I can't stand seeing weeds in driveway cracks. Seriously, all you have to do is take out the backpack and spray. You don't need to bend down and pull. It is sheer laziness.

Premier landscaping south
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Premier, I am not saying you are wrong just curious as to why this you think is better. I think its the person using the trimmer that matters. I've see the edges of careless guys and they are 2" wide:dizzy: I use the edger when needed but keep a tight egde with a trimmer. I also have not found one guy who can do it like me, but when does any worker do what you do! My customers, and even thier picky neighbors, give me compliments on their edges (trust me they're picky!) and I don't regularly use an edger. Again areas of the country may differ in what exactly the needs are. It's just using a different tool to do the job right? As long as it is done right and looks good what difference does the tool make. I do believe that you NEED to use an edger to open the edge up.

Oh and for those of you waiting to jump on someone and say "See you're a lowball, etc...." grow up. I pride myself on quality work just like the rest.

My first reason is safety. I have used a trimmer due to laziness, you know not wanting to make an extra trip to the trailer or carrying two pieces of equipment. I constantly think about a rock flying out and hurting someone or hitting a passing car. Second, I can make a much cleaner edge with the correct tool. Plus the edger has a safety guard to catch most debris. Thirdly I believe using an edger is much faster then a trimmer.

shooterm
10-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Its general "housekeeping" and this applies to any job really. The first impression is very important. I stress this with even dirty work like underground. Just having things like dirt and clays in a managed spill pile will give a inspector a good impression. I've been accused of OCD but I've seen to many examples of how benefical this can be.

MR-G
10-03-2010, 04:20 PM
We offer 3 levels of service.....all have their own level of quality as well as items included...quality comes in many forms....what level the client needs is up to what they want to spend....we will do everything from hand weeding to cutting every 3 days....its all about the pricing...we will do the 25.00 mow,blow and go...up to the 1m dollar estates...:usflag:when it comes down to it ALL MONEY IS GREEN!!!

MDLawn
10-03-2010, 08:25 PM
My first reason is safety. I have used a trimmer due to laziness, you know not wanting to make an extra trip to the trailer or carrying two pieces of equipment. I constantly think about a rock flying out and hurting someone or hitting a passing car. Second, I can make a much cleaner edge with the correct tool. Plus the edger has a safety guard to catch most debris. Thirdly I believe using an edger is much faster then a trimmer.

Good points. I've eaten or inhaled a few rocks up my nose using the trimmer to edge. If I see someone walking by I just either stop and wait for them to pass or go to a different part of the yard. Same with cutting. Usually I make sure the discharge chute is facing away and the blades disegaged if someone is walking by. 10-20 seconds of down time is better than a lawsuit for a lifetime. Of course you've gotta love the people who stop with their 3 yr old and say "watch the mowing guy go by". Pretty much saying "Open your eyes wide and look directly at the discharge chute!" Some people have no common sense.

I find the reverse for me in terms of quickness. The edger just likes to eat sidewalks and driveways slowing me down whereas the string just deflects away from it. To each their own I guess

Good points though.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 02:43 AM
a nice clean edge on sidewalks and drives. Made with an edger not a string trimmer turned upside down.

False. See this is a huge misconception from guys raised with edgers. The problem is you guys don't know how to effectively set an edge with a trimmer at all. My upside down trimmer edging is leaps and bounds over edger quality and I'll tell you why. I am able to use the cord to literally rip everything out of that edge but more importantly, the way I do it pulls the lip of that grass back so it has a nice perfect vertical stance. What's even more important is blowing every grass clipping out of the edge upon cleanup to give it that nice tall, deep look. I'm about to upload some pics of my "upside down" technique and show you there is no need for an edger. The edger is just another tool to slow you down to go back to the truck for, when really all weedeating (around mailbox) should be done while you are edging to ensure you do not miss anything. If you seperate edging and weedeating you will find yourself missing more spots. With my method I am 100% everytime. So, please tell me my upside down method looks bad :laugh:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower028.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower035.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower037.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower040.jpg
These were taken the day after cutting, and the height of the edge isn't as prominent on these yards cut so short but as you can see their is no way an edger can do a better job than me and my redmax. Edgers are designed for commercial crews that are edging LONG LONG sidewalks (You know the type malls, whatever) Don't mistake the title "Edger" for having better quality. It all just comes down to experience. All I sell and believe in is quality, so this is an important topic for me. I didn't get two seconds into the thread without noticing Premiere Landscaping South's post and had to give my opinion.
To Premiere Landscaping South if you are just doing large commercial accounts that is one thing, but especially if you are doing residentials like I posted, learn to use the trimmer. For the same or better quality, It will save you alot of time. Now just think about edging a whole front yard and then the back patio. Then going back to the truck and walking over the whole yard again with a trimmer. We are human, if you give us more chances to mess something up, we will. If you can learn to create an awesome edge with a trimmer, please do so. Use my pics as example. You can trim around the mailbox while you are right there. You can continue the bed edging and the trim the far side of the house while you are right there.

Had a guy in a seperate thread doing all the edging and then coming back and doing all the weedeating. By using my method and edging the correct way with a weedeater, he shaved TWENTY minutes off one residential home. So, I hope this gives an honest example to many who were unsure of the edger scenario. I happen to think they are silly (unless you are edging 100ft or more) If you would like to know the right way to edge with a trimmer PM me or ask in this thread. I haven't even began to talk about quality though I just had to speak on this one aspect before I could continue :walking:

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Premiere Landcaping, I did not mean to pick you out and point the finger. I'm not even saying your way is wrong. There is no "wrong" way if you truly have a quality finished product. I just want to give a reasonable argument as to why I won't use an edger. It has nothing to do with me being a lowball and everything to do with time and quality, but that me.

I agree with so many of you. Quality lawncare isn't a hard thing to mistake. I would say the single most important thing is cleanup. No grass clippings in the edge, and surely not on any concrete. No clumps. No grass clippings sitting on window seals or in beds. Make sure the mower gave a nice even cut. Like someone else said though, some customers simply will not allow you to "keep up" with their yard the way it should be. They're cheap or whatever. I make sure I atleast cut, edge, trim and blow. I will not take on someone who just wants the cut and no edging. I think that is the single worst thing you can do as a company. Sure it would be easy money but to me, it's not worth anyone thinking that's how I cut yards. I think, at the end of the day, whether it be cutting, hedges, mulch, whatever you know if you did a good job or not. I make it a point to shock my customers to the point of quality they didn't expect. If you learn to do this your business sells itself. (I hate salesman fake personality stuff anyway) I started in April with 3 customers and have 25 now so something is working. I think I know what it is.

jwsland
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Companies that care about quality pay attention to detail. You cant be lazy and overlook things if you want quality work. Some people have more pride in what they do than others and care about what other people think. Caring about quality means going the extra mile to make sure the work gets done right every time. From how you run the behind the scenes stuff all the way to getting every last grass clipping off the sidewalk, it all matters.

kilgoja
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM
i also use the trimmer edging method...works and looks great if done right

Green Industry Pro
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Here's a few that come to mind:

1.Clean edges(I use a line trimmer and if you do it right..the edge is just as clean as if you were using an edger)
2.No weeds/grass in cracks in the pavement
3.Clean flower beds
4. Neat hedges
5.Company uniform, neat clean workers
6.Chat with the customer
7.Make sure you always blow everything off(if its after u fert or after a weekly cut or anytime, always make sure you leave the property lookin nice and neat.)
8.Keep your rig at its best....it is a reflection of you(if its neat and orderly, or a mess..that reflects on you)
9.Quality of cut....dont leave grass clumps, an uneven cut,or stray strands. You want to give your best cut. Let's face it..it isnt as hard nowadays as it used to be. we have powered equipment..let's try and do our best.
10.Your image. reliability, dependability, trust,pride etc..

Hopefully that made sense and was a help.:usflag::usflag:
GOD BLESS AMERICA