PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with this situation

Cloud9Landscapes
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I have a customer who lives about 3 or 4 miles away from my house and I maintain their front and back lawn only. I don't maintain any shrubs or hedges, just the turf. Well earlier this month I come pulling up and start pushing my equipment to the backyard then I go inside my truck to take a phone call. Well then I see the home owner pushing my equipment back out onto the driveway. I was like WTF? So I get out and talk to him and he says that he had already mowed it because he thought I wasn't coming (I had changed my schedule 2 weeks prior to this from Wednesday to Sunday, even though I had talked to him the previous Sunday I was there to mow, it apparently flew right over his head.) So after he told me this I was like, W/e, see you next Sunday. Well next Sunday came and same thing, except this time he had mowed it because he was having his bible study over. It really wasn't that inconvenient for me because I have a full service account kiddie-corner to this account.

But today I received the bill and they only paid for half the month. And I'm slightly steamed over this because I still made the effort to go there and work. I'm giving these people a killer deal already, they are filthy rich (just redid swimming pool, hard scape, entire house, etc) and it's not like they couldn't pay me. I know doctors will charge you for an appointment if you don't show up, why not me? What do you guys do in this circumstance?

JB1
09-30-2010, 09:52 PM
bottom line, he doesn't want it mowed on sunday.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
09-30-2010, 10:04 PM
sound to me he doesn't want it done on Sunday bu there is not a whole lot you can do to get your money it will end up causing more headache then worth most times

Chilehead
09-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you need to drop him off your list and replace him with a new client. Remember, customers are commodities. Friends aren't. Neither is family. But customers are. It's just good business.

bohiaa
10-06-2010, 08:42 AM
sounds like your new to this game.

dont show up at a custoemrs house on a weekend. <--- Big no no.

2nd what does your contract say ?

to be honest I would have done the same thing.

business houers are from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM MON-FIR

there is NO business inbetween these hours. <--- notice the period

I would have cancled you if you showed up at my place on Sunday.

Not even my cleaning lady show's up on weekends

Roger
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Why would you even schedule work on a Sunday for a residential property?

As said in the above post, if you would have shown up at my house, I would have asked you to leave, send me a final invoice, and take me off your list. I think you have no reason to be upset, and should have been given a notice to not return.

domain311
10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
No Sunday's, man...I woulda been pissed if I were him too. Surprised others seem to be ok with this too? I would get out of that habit asap to be honest...

Lawn Racer
10-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Ya no sundays at all.:nono:

whosedog
10-06-2010, 10:41 PM
What if he's Jewish? Sunday would be fine,Saturday is their day for Temple.Or Jehovah's Witness?

lawnman_scott
10-06-2010, 11:36 PM
If he didn't want you there on Sunday he should have said so. I would decide if you want to deal with him anymore. If you do, ignore it, if you don't, call him and ask for your money.

Taneli
10-06-2010, 11:39 PM
How do you guys feel about mowing on a Sunday if you are catching up after a couple days of rain. I have done it a couple times and got no complaints but I def. dont make it a regular routine.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-06-2010, 11:54 PM
In my area you show up at a residentual on Sunday you would get run off. I have only on very rare occasions done residentuals on Sunday and I make dang sure the client knows I am coming and this will not be done often. I don't even like doing residentuals on Saturday being some have parties, company, grill outs and just don't want to hear lawn equipment on their free weekend.

Roger
10-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Taneli, never. Being behind (been there many, many times), and using Sunday to catch up is a no-no in my books. Never work on Sunday.

whosedog
10-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I do all my lawns,with my twins (30 bi-weekly) on Saturday,if it rains Saturday,I will work Sunday.I've never had one complaint even from my Saturday Jewish customers(not Orthodox).In fact a lot of them prefer that I come when they are home as they can pay me then or have other jobs to show me when we are both there. If I didn't have to work full time M-F I'd probably change my schedual,but for now it works and I spell it out to customers that's how I work before I take them on.So to each his own;whatever.

bohiaa
10-08-2010, 07:43 AM
How do you guys feel about mowing on a Sunday if you are catching up after a couple days of rain. I have done it a couple times and got no complaints but I def. dont make it a regular routine.

most of the time I call my customers and ask.

it's getting to know your customers. it takes time and it will come to you.

gont get down about it. I would love to tell you all the mistakes I have made.
but I dont think the servers here are large enoulf to hold all that information.

Simply take it as a lesson learned and move on.

TJLANDS
10-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but when I see a crew or solo guy cutting on Sunday or even sometimes on Saturdays , I would go after that customer(or customers) and more times than not they would switch over to my company.
It is an easy sell.

Chilehead
10-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but when I see a crew or solo guy cutting on Sunday or even sometimes on Saturdays , I would go after that customer(or customers) and more times than not they would switch over to my company.
It is an easy sell.

What do you feel is the reasoning behind that?:usflag:

TJLANDS
10-08-2010, 03:11 PM
What do you feel is the reasoning behind that?:usflag:

It could be any of a dozen reasons,
for one many people just want piece and quiet sat and sun or at least Sunday.

In over twenty years we have never mowed a residential lawn on a Sunday..

Paradise Landscapes
10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
What if he's Jewish? Sunday would be fine,Saturday is their day for Temple.Or Jehovah's Witness?

I used to be a JW. If it permits, I would see if you could do it while they are at their church. Sats? Maybe. Some of them uses that day to go out "preach the word" on those mornings.

I firmly stay away from weekends. Those weekends will be my chartering days! :waving:

MowingMowingMowing
10-09-2010, 11:33 PM
I used to be a JW. If it permits, I would see if you could do it while they are at their church. Sats? Maybe. Some of them uses that day to go out "preach the word" on those mornings.

I firmly stay away from weekends. Those weekends will be my chartering days! :waving:

Ok, I know this is off topic, and don't take this the wrong way either, I simply don't understand this about Jehovah Witnesses.

From what I understand about this religion, they only believe a certain number of people will make it to their view of Heaven.

Which leads me to this question ... If JW only think a certain number of people will make it to the next life of Heaven, why in the world are they knocking on doors and trying to tell people about their religion? If more people know, it decreases their odds.

I'm not trying to be a dick either, I seriously just never figured that one out.

Let me know what you think.

Paradise Landscapes
10-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Ok, I know this is off topic, and don't take this the wrong way either, I simply don't understand this about Jehovah Witnesses.

From what I understand about this religion, they only believe a certain number of people will make it to their view of Heaven.

Which leads me to this question ... If JW only think a certain number of people will make it to the next life of Heaven, why in the world are they knocking on doors and trying to tell people about their religion? If more people know, it decreases their odds.

I'm not trying to be a dick either, I seriously just never figured that one out.

Let me know what you think.

To keep this thread on topic PM me with your questions.

seabee24
10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Never mind the customer, I hate and will not work on a Sunday unless it's snow, or a tree fell on the house...either way they both pay big bucks

Customers hate it.... Never on a Sunday, and I don't schdual for a Saturday...rain will sometimes push us to Saturday, but never ever a Sunday. And Saturdays happen less than twice per year
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
This coming Sunday is the only day I can cut grass. It's the first Sunday and so far every customer I've called said they didn't mind at all.