PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Z925 vs. Hustler Super Z

rcslawncare
09-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I had a chance to get onto a Super Z and figured I would post what I found. I would of been more interested in the Super Z at the time I purchased my JD, but dealer support was key. The Hustler was a 60" XR7 with a 31 Kawasaki. The John Deere is a 60" 7 Iron and a 27 Kawasaki. For the Hustler's highs,the hydro's are super responsive, good stance, smooth ride and seemed to stripe well. Other nice features are flex forks, hydro oil cooler, and Michigan type suspension seat. The downs of the Super Z are with the flex forks, scalped more than I would expect, no real fuel gauge, and the after cut left stragglers at medium speed. For the John Deere, the mower is stable, steering is very precise and smooth. It also requires less stick movement to turn than the Hustler. The ergonomics of the JD is far more superior than the Hustler. The placement of the controls and deck height adjustment system is much better on the JD. The lows for the Deere are it is much slower in a drag race, and it sits much higher than the Hustler. I feel completely stable on the Deere on hills, so that is not such a big deal, but for others, you will notice it. The Deere cuts better, but the Hustler stripes better. Both units had suspension seats and no stripe kits. The Hustler has its place, but for my accounts and comfort, I would have to choose the Deere if I had to choose one. I will post pictures of the two side by side here soon.

MJB
09-30-2010, 11:30 PM
I had a chance to get onto a Super Z and figured I would post what I found. I would of been more interested in the Super Z at the time I purchased my JD, but dealer support was key. The Hustler was a 60" XR7 with a 31 Kawasaki. The John Deere is a 60" 7 Iron and a 27 Kawasaki. For the Hustler's highs,the hydro's are super responsive, good stance, smooth ride and seemed to stripe well. Other nice features are flex forks, hydro oil cooler, and Michigan type suspension seat. The downs of the Super Z are with the flex forks, scalped more than I would expect, no real fuel gauge, and the after cut left stragglers at medium speed. For the John Deere, the mower is stable, steering is very precise and smooth. It also requires less stick movement to turn than the Hustler. The ergonomics of the JD is far more superior than the Hustler. The placement of the controls and deck height adjustment system is much better on the JD. The lows for the Deere are it is much slower in a drag race, and it sits much higher than the Hustler. I feel completely stable on the Deere on hills, so that is not such a big deal, but for others, you will notice it. The Deere cuts better, but the Hustler stripes better. Both units had suspension seats and no stripe kits. The Hustler has its place, but for my accounts and comfort, I would have to choose the Deere if I had to choose one. I will post pictures of the two side by side here soon.

John Deer wins that one hands down, no contest.

rcslawncare
09-30-2010, 11:34 PM
That is what I found also. It was a good test and comparison, always fun to run different things, but cut quality is key and my Deere dealer is 10 minutes away. Next season, the Deere will get some goodies to make it the ultimate tool.

DCT
09-30-2010, 11:55 PM
I'm on the fence between new Hustler X-one or Super Z and Deere Z925. The Deere I demoed seemed to have a lack of power going up a hill. Seems like others are only seeing this is a bagger is on it. I should be demoing an x-one in a week, then I'll decide. I've always run green, but the local dealer for Hustler has been great to work with.

rcslawncare
10-01-2010, 01:08 AM
I see the goods of both, but I was looking at an overall machine to run day in and day out, the Deere is where it is at. But, I too want to get onto the new Hustler model just to see. It looks like the same configuration, so Im sure id be more at home on the Deere.

MJB
10-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm on the fence between new Hustler X-one or Super Z and Deere Z925. The Deere I demoed seemed to have a lack of power going up a hill. Seems like others are only seeing this is a bagger is on it. I should be demoing an x-one in a week, then I'll decide. I've always run green, but the local dealer for Hustler has been great to work with.

If you think the Deer lacks power going up hill then you can eliminate the Super Z from your list based on the same problem. They suck on hills, and will leave you stranded half way up.

The X one might be different but I have my doubts.

demhustler
10-01-2010, 09:21 PM

whatever suits you, its all - personal preferences: to me, see-through SZ tanks (where you can see from the distance how much fuel you have) - best feature since sliced bread; to you - it's "downside - no real fuel gage"

kilgoja
10-01-2010, 10:01 PM
yeah i like the hustlers because they have the sight line in the gas tanks...that is the best guage there is because it never tears up...i never let it go all the way empty before i refill it anyways....but with that aside...the jd 7 iron deck possibly has the best cut of any deck ever made...and you have the new super z and x one coming out with the new deck design so it remains to be seen how well they will cut...if you were gonna purchase i would wait and see how the new hustler deck cuts and such before you make a final decision

JohnBanks
10-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Hustler with a 31 has just as much power up a hill as a 27 hp John Deere.

Deere's deck are great though! Hustler's deck will drive you crazy from time to time, but it is so small and light I use it for all my small yards now that my Deere's would tear up. I tried to by a 7-iron deck and was going to mount it on my super--lol

rcslawncare
03-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Just realized the pics never made it up here and it was interesting to see side by side. I can only find one, but will look tonight for the rest...

kilgoja
03-14-2011, 11:35 PM
when i get a ztr i wanna get a deere, scag, or hustler

rcslawncare
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
All three are very good machines. Best thing is to go demo them for a week each and see what works best for you for your properties. Thats what sold me on the Deere.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd put a NEW X-One up against that Deere any day of the week and win. The NEW X-ONE not only beats the price of the 900series but cut quality, and mulching. Alot more machine with a much better warranty. Demo a X-ONE at your local Hustler Dealer today!

mowerbrad
03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
I'd put a NEW X-One up against that Deere any day of the week and win. The NEW X-ONE not only beats the price of the 900series but cut quality, and mulching. Alot more machine with a much better warranty. Demo a X-ONE at your local Hustler Dealer today!

What's the price of an x-one?

That's a very bold statement that you are making. I know the new VX4 deck is supposed to be pretty good but its a brand new deck with minimal "field time"...especially when you compare it to the 7iron decks that have been around for years. Not saying that the VX4 deck won't do great, but for being new to the market its tough to say if it really will do better than the Deere.

It'd be nice to see two comparable Deere and Hustler models go head to head, see where each one excells.

You can tell you are a dealer though...:waving:

rcslawncare
03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Good plug! Ill be sure to get a demo this year and do a decent review on them. They look nice, but like the 900 Deere's, they needed to be proven. Same will go for this machine. I just cant stand the lift system of the deck, wish they would of changed that.

bmac1996acc
03-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't think any deck can compare to the versatility of Deere's Mulch on Demand Deck. As far as the sight line for fuel level on the Hustler, I have that on my 2004 Deere L130... definitely not innovative.

JDeereZman
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Put a catchy tune and jingle to that plug and I might demo one myself!!!!!

kilgoja
03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
i wanna see a head to head to head real world challenge between a John Deere z910a 54" with 7iron II pro deck vs Scag Turf Tiger 54" with Velocity deck vs Hustler X-One 54" with VX4 deck...they are all in the same price range...would like to know the reliability, quality, and so forth of each one

DCT
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey guys,
I ordered an x-one 31hp, 60", sus seat, hitch, lights, mulch kit, new style bagger and 60" HD jrco. Should get it soon, will be a little while before I get to use it in MN. I was able to demo a 60" 26hp last fall. It was a little late for mowing (mid Oct), but was really impressed by the cut.

In Aug-Sept I was able to demo Deere 925 60", Exmark 60 and 52", along with Hustler Super Z 60 and Z4 60".

It came down for me between X-One and Z925. The local Hustler dealer and the new bagger upright blower (gets machine down to 69" wide) were some of the deciding factors. Also, the 925 with 54MOD was about 1k more. Family farm is all green, maybe in the future I'll go back to green again.

The commercial units are all a great step up from the homeowner Zs I ran before

RonAyersMotorsports
03-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Hustler had been developing and testing the VX4 deck for Five years prior to its release and the results definately show it. We have sold several X-Ones and Super Z's already this season and getting great feedback. Demos against the Green and Orange Guys are also getting great results. Haven't lost a demo customer this year. Most common response "A more comfortable machine, with a better cut, better warranty, and much better price."

RonAyersMotorsports
03-28-2011, 09:37 AM
What's the price of an x-one?

That's a very bold statement that you are making. I know the new VX4 deck is supposed to be pretty good but its a brand new deck with minimal "field time"...especially when you compare it to the 7iron decks that have been around for years. Not saying that the VX4 deck won't do great, but for being new to the market its tough to say if it really will do better than the Deere.

It'd be nice to see two comparable Deere and Hustler models go head to head, see where each one excells.

You can tell you are a dealer though...:waving:

Most dealers have X-One Demo or loaner models and if they don't just ask. We have two. Demo one and I'm sure you'll feel the same way I do about the machine. I actually use our demos to cut my own grass and take every opportunity to demo the competition. You will not be disappointed in what Hustler has done after Five years of developing and testing this machine prior to its release! :waving:

c_brown92
05-16-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm set on the Hustler X-one with a 60" deck...just not sure whether the bigger kawasaki(31hp) is worth getting over the smaller (26hp). I know the 25 hp on the previous hustler was pretty easy to bog down.....what are your thoughts, keeping fuel mileage/ productivity in mind?

thanks