PDA

View Full Version : Echo Attachments

volvotech
10-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Bought an Echo SRM-230 a while back...my first string trimmer, in fact. It's only a backup now, but I'd like to use it with some of Echo's different attachments, specifically the articulating hedge trimmer. Considering it's not a quick change model, what else do I need to make the attachments work?

Or, is it as simple as just pulling off the entire gearbox when I want to change them out? Thanks in advance.

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
I don't suggest you to do this in the field. It is not like it has a coupler that you can quickly remove. It usually involve using a screw driver and you can wear out the thread of the screw hole and you'll be in more trouble. Also you can get dirt in it. Your SRM230 is not necessary solid drive shaft unless the model end with "S". There might be limitation on what attachment you can use. Also I am not sure you can buy attachments as easy.

I think if you want attachments, you better off buying the PAS power head. The 22.8cc engine you have is on the small end and it might not be good enough for some of the attachments.

I personally don't think buying multi tool system is a good thing. For one, it can get expensive, you are not going save money going this route. Tell us what tools are you looking for, maybe we can think of a better way to achief this.

volvotech
10-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Well, I've already got hedge trimmers, but I'm looking for a way to avoid climbing on a ladder. I don't have any plans to swap them out on the fly, I know how much of a hassle that can be.

The only thing I really want is an articulating hedge trimmer. I know 22.8cc is a little underpowered, but this isn't a tool I'd be using that often.

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Well, I've already got hedge trimmers, but I'm looking for a way to avoid climbing on a ladder. I don't have any plans to swap them out on the fly, I know how much of a hassle that can be.

The only thing I really want is an articulating hedge trimmer. I know 22.8cc is a little underpowered, but this isn't a tool I'd be using that often.

For hedge attachment, 22.8cc is good enough. For something you don't use this often, do I have one for you!!! Read this, PM Southern Pride to follow up how it work out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=328528&highlight=chinese

He seem to really love it.:waving:

volvotech
10-01-2010, 12:48 PM
You know, I wanted to avoid that thing...but that still works out cheaper than the attachment for the Echo. I may have to look into that after all.

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I can assure you even if you get just the Echo articulate trimmer head and do exactly the way you want to do it originally, it will be over $200. But if you are doing it once in a blue moon, it would be ok. Honestly, I would go the Big Jack route.

volvotech
10-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, once in a blue moon would really be once a month. Considering they're sold out right now, I think I've got some time to think about it.

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, once in a blue moon would really be once a month. Considering they're sold out right now, I think I've got some time to think about it.

Look for special of buying the power head with an attachment, you get the string trimmer attachment free. I got my Shindaiwa M242 with the articulate hedge attachment like that. At least you have a back up.

I am just not comfortable with your original idea of swarping the gear box. Once a month, you'll might strip the thread in a year or two. Any other attachments you can use to justify the PAS power head? Since I notice you have Kawi KGT2B and Echo SRM265, you really need to keep the SRM230? Maybe sell that and go into the PAS265 with the hedge attachment. Now you won't be spending too much money and you get it right.

volvotech
10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Actually, I'm now running a Tanaka TBC-280PF, Echo SRM-265T, and Kaw KGT27B. The 230 isn't even a backup anymore...it's a backup's backup. I'd be content to swap the gear cases and leave them swapped.

I need to find out if it's a 230S or not to make sure the hedge trimmer gearbox will even mate.

Alan0354
10-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Actually, I'm now running a Tanaka TBC-280PF, Echo SRM-265T, and Kaw KGT27B. The 230 isn't even a backup anymore...it's a backup's backup. I'd be content to swap the gear cases and leave them swapped.

I need to find out if it's a 230S or not to make sure the hedge trimmer gearbox will even mate.

Now you are talking!!! If you keep the hedge trimmer on for good, then I don't see any problem, I would get the Echo hedge attachment over the Chinese trimmer. I never really understand why people are so down about the flex shaft. The Echo SRM265 and 280 all use flex shalf and so is my Honda big brush cutter. If it is not strong enough, why are they putting into those high power brush cutter. My Honda even come with the saw blade!!! I really don't think you have anything to worry about the flex shaft.......JMHO.

Good luck.