PDA

View Full Version : Yellow pages advertising. Any experience?

seacoastlandscape
10-01-2010, 06:53 AM
I was approached the other day by a representative that provided me with some info on advertising bundles that the yellow pages offer. I have never advertised before and do not have a website. I have never found the need for targeting new business but as times have changed I am really starting to consider it. Does anyone have any experience working with them as well as how capable they are of creating a quality website? Their prices just to develop a 5-10 page website is far less then any other company I have called, so I am allitle conserned of the quality of work etc.
Thanks

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-01-2010, 07:31 AM
I have advertised with yellowbook for 5 years. All I ever got was "tire kickers" and people looking for multiple bids to ultimately choose the low bidder.
I'm going strictly direct mail this year and of course my website. I had a local graphic artist build one for less than a grand.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
10-01-2010, 09:27 AM
When the economy is doing great I could justify the $5000 I spent on the AT&T yellow pages for my landscape ad. One or two jobs and the ad was paid for. But now with economy being down it's been two years since it would be a good deal to advertise. I've never seen even one year when a maintenance ad had good returns.

Compare Printmailpro.com to other direct mail places and you may find they have the best prices. I'm lucky that their office is here in Austin close to my place.

johnroscoe
10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
The Yellow Pages was awesome- in 1988.

Craigslist, local paper ads, word of mouth, anything is better than the yellow pages now!

RoyalTree
10-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Not worth it.

We spent big bucks last year with att. We did get alot of business but not what we wanted for the kind of money that we spent.

We have advertised with them for years but always small before this year. When it comes to yp it is go big or dont bother. Small ads will bring you next to nothing but the big ads will bring tire kickers galore, expect to have a sales person.

We spent about 2k per month.

castlerockmo
10-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Man they work great here, that's how I got my start. This year I thought I didn't need to advertise because the state of the economy. That was dumb! Calls have been down all my new customers found me in the old book. In my opinion they are well worth it, but you have to spend the money, them small 1/4 page ads are worthleSs. That's my experience at least.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jpocket
10-03-2010, 07:04 PM
it may not be what it used to be but I think its a good idea to still be there. For an established business maybe just a bold listing.

memphis.landscape
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Worst move I ever made. I did a pay per call deal they have and ended up getting charged at least $3,000 for people looking for jobs. And their customer service sucked.

ncls
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM
With the internet, and other methods of advertising, the book is a dinosaur. Use that money for direct mail, newspaper, etc.

METRO FS
10-04-2010, 05:57 PM
A good portion of my business comes from the Yellow Pages. Most of my customers say they found me in the phonebook vs the web. I get a lot of web traffic and online submissions but I consider my web site an "informative online brochure" and the YP ads always provide this website info as well. I use the small block ads in multiple directories that quickly pay for themselves.

bohiaa
10-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Dont walk away from these guys...........RUNNNNNN

PlantscapeSolutions
10-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Worst move I ever made. I did a pay per call deal they have and ended up getting charged at least $3,000 for people looking for jobs. And their customer service sucked.
e

I to the top of the att food chain instead of starting at the bottom.have been in a pissing match with AT&T all year about Pay-Per-Call. The sales guy assured me I would not get stuck paying for people looking for work, calling from outside my service area, wrong numbers, or sales calls. Just call the Pay-Per-Call people and they will take care of you I was told.

The Pay-Per-Call office is understaffed with a handful greedy commission paid a-holes from what I've found. Usually, you end up on eternal hold. I've also found bills for after hours calls that I didn't even answer, double bills for follow up calls from the same number, and calls listed as unavailable on the att bill that actually showed up with a number on my phone. When the att bill shows unavailable and your bill shows otherwise it makes tracking call more difficult.

I've dealt with over a half dozen att people trying to remove the invalid calls. I spent time filling out call spread sheets for att people only to never hear from them again.

Is this what you've dealt with as well? I'm going to make a posting on the other forum that gets viewed more and see if anyone else has gone through this att crap.

I talked to my old retired att sales rep and he told me I should file a presidential complaint with att. These complaints he said go to the top of the food chain instead of to the bottom.

jose85
10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
stay AWAY not worth it

grassyfras
10-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I did the AT&T Pay-per-call program as well. The sales people lied again and again. I think we should all get together to get our money back this winter.

haybaler
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
STAY AWAY from yellowbook. Constant lies and missed deadlines. The website service is a joke.

Kelly's Landscaping
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Dont walk away from these guys...........RUNNNNNN

You aren't Kidding about that either RUN FOREST RUN

And once they get in the door my god they can not accept the following year you reached a decision and they are fired. You cant fire us nooo the problem was you only did a dollar bill size ad for 5600 what you need is a half page color add for 15000. And Yellow book was even more pushy told them no 3 times and they still insisted on coming over and wasting an hour of my time only to swear at me and run out of my office pissed off. ( sweet revenge)

walker-talker
04-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I was in the YP about 5 years ago and decided to give it another shot this year.
BIG MISTAKE!!! Would of been better for me to take that $780 and put it else where. It's going to be great to talk to my rep in the fall when he calls. It will be fun to tell him to shove it. At least the one call I did get this year will yield $1250 before expenses.

JFGauvreau
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
So much negativity about yp... lol. I place a small biz ad on the yp this year, well see how it goes. I only paid 250$ for it so I don't expect much from it.

LupineLandscaping
04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I must say, I love some of the replies here. Almost everyone has had a similar experience with yp adds or their websites. They trully did USED to be a great sale years ago. I heard Bill Gates speak of the Yellow Page adds a few years ago. Basically, he was saying that they would be extinct by 2012...next year folks. I don't think he's too far off. We still carry a very small add for a reference to the few clients that do use it. Work with your website, direct mail, referral programs, Google Adwords, and FaceBook Adwords.

Steve

DeereHauler
04-03-2011, 12:59 AM
We still use them, we get a lot of tire kickers, but the jobs we have gotten have paid for the ads. i think it may depend of what kind of job your looking for too. We have gotten all our mowing from word of mouth, or just being in a neighborhood. We have gotten quite a few hardscape jobs from our ad, and that where the money is.

One thing i will say, the salespeople are liars, and the price will go up every year. If you tell them its too much, and you don't think you want the ad, they usually drop the price real fast.

LawnsRUsInc.
04-03-2011, 10:50 AM
NO NO AND NOOOOOOO dont do it u will regret it i promise!!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I would say Yellow pages based ads, really, are on their way out. Nobody uses the hardcopy phonebooks anymore. So, unless you get placed online with like yellowbook.com, I wouldn't do it.

LupineLandscaping
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Don't do it! They'll be extinct in a matter of time...

Darryl G
04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I just got a call from YP about my long running listing and was thinking of letting it go. I always ask people how they heard of us and it's been a long time since anyone said they saw my listing in the YP. It's almost as if phone books have become obsolete. Nearly all of my calls come from referrals and Google searches now. Also it seems like the callers I do get from the YP have gone down the list and called every landscaper in the book looking for the cheapest price. It's to the point that the return on my investment is practically zero.

Besides, now that my wife is back to work there's often nobody to answer the home/business phone, so I'm going more and more to using my cell phone number. In my experience, if someone has to wait 6 or 8 hours or more for a return call, you've already lost the sale. And maybe it will cut down on all the damn telemarketing calls too....I sure hope so!

DodgeTruckMan731
04-28-2011, 01:08 PM
garbo, like everyone said big bucks will get you alot of calls but not alot of work

Dr.NewEarth
04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I was in the yp for years. Up here, they were bought out by Super Pages for a few years. I was paying 650 a month for most of the cities around Vancouver...so close to a couple million homes.

YP bought back the company. My cost went up overnight to almost that much for just New Westminster, part of Burnaby and the Coquitlam area, if you know Vancouver at all. That's maybe 350 thousand homes....

Then for an entire year they kept sending my bill to an empty lot in another city. I'm in Port Coquitlam, it was sent to Port Moody.

I kept complaining and each time I told their contact person on the phone the proper address and they assured me that it was changed. My address is the one in the ad, but they couldn't get it right. This went on for a year.

You know why? They are outsourced to India. When I spoke to some-one at least once a month by the way, they weren't correcting my information properly.

The next month I wouldn't get the invoice. It was sent to the empty lot.
I phoned them and checked the address they were sending to every month and corrected it every month.

They never got it right. It was the weirdest thing.

I quit using them and have a website and use other advertising.

They pidgeon hole you into the area you advertise in only. What if you can't afford to advertise in all of the cities you work in?

Will they assure that you will get optimum website coverage in all of the cities you work in, or will it be like the book and you get pidgeon holed to where you advertise only?

I would check it out. Oh and ask them what sort of increase they see for the next year on your ad.

Most people don't use the books any-more. I believe some-thing like 80 percent go on-line now.
Does any-one else recall what the statistic is?

PostcardMania
04-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I agree, YP is really not the way to go for the landscaping biz... direct mail does work really well, but if you're worried about the cost of postage, door-hangers work great too. Just hire a teen to go around hanging them up for 25-50 cents a door.

Also, get yourself listed on all the search engine local listings. The company I work for put together this PDF which has all the URLs of where to register your business. You can download the PDF at this link if you'd like: http://bit.ly/localsearchpdf