PDA

View Full Version : Allectus failure anyone

humble1
10-01-2010, 07:37 AM
I have had allectus failure put down at a heavy rate on irrigated lawns, 2 of my friends that own fert companies did as well, all irrigated Wondering how many other guys/ gals out there use allectus and have had failure this year. Is it possible that the blender screwed up?

TJLANDS
10-01-2010, 08:06 AM
I have had allectus failure put down at a heavy rate on irrigated lawns, 2 of my friends that own fert companies did as well, all irrigated Wondering how many other guys/ gals out there use allectus and have had failure this year. Is it possible that the blender screwed up?

I have had several large properties that had severe grub damage after using allectus in late June and early July. I even had some insect damage at my own house.
Never had problems when we would apply straight Merit.

Athletic field
10-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Had no problems with allectus this year. What insects did you encounter?

Ric
10-01-2010, 09:45 AM
The Bad News is Bayer stop guaranteeing Merit here in Florida a number of years ago. What is Allectus other than Merit and Talstar mixed together??? We had a lot of Grub Failure because of a New Grub to our area "Sugar Cane Grub". I am hoping my luck with Mixing Dominion and Bifen XTS to make my own Allectus keeps working for me. Our Grub Season is not over by any means.

BTW I Believe I am in the Grub Capital of Florida. I have no university study but it appears our Man Made Canals have given us the perfect Grub environment. To my south is an other Man Made Canal Town that has the same high pressure Grub Problem while to my North we see very few Grubs or Man Made Canals. I am not going into how a Grub Egg absorbs water Etc Etc because I believe there is more to it than that.

gregory
10-01-2010, 11:24 AM
i have had bad grub damage in my yard this year and last year. i was thinking of going with something else this next year. funny thing is 3 uears ago i was using top choice i would put it down in march and never had any grub damage but that stuff is high...

was thinking of maybe trying aloft....

wcb607a
10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I have had several large properties that had severe grub damage after using allectus in late June and early July. I even had some insect damage at my own house.
Never had problems when we would apply straight Merit.

I went to a class yesterday for credits and allectus was discussed. Most of us put down allectus in late June, but allectus only has a couple months life cycle, if watered in properly. Grub eggs can lay dormant for months until there is moisture in the soil or it rains, but this summer was very dry, so the eggs did not hatch until late this year, which means allectus is at its end cycle and wont kill the grubs this year. Allectus has less active ingredients then merit. Something to think about.

TLS
10-01-2010, 11:58 AM
We had 0 grubs this year. Too dry. I was afraid to apply ANYTHING around late June, early July. It was too hot and dry to physically drive anything over the grass. Let alone spread fert. Plus, no water to "water it in", it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Just got 11" of rain though.

fl-landscapes
10-01-2010, 12:07 PM
i have had bad grub damage in my yard this year and last year. i was thinking of going with something else this next year. funny thing is 3 uears ago i was using top choice i would put it down in march and never had any grub damage but that stuff is high...

was thinking of maybe trying aloft....

maybe aloft

gregory
10-01-2010, 12:41 PM
from what i've read the aloft window is bigger then merit...

fl-landscapes
10-01-2010, 01:24 PM
from what i've read the aloft window is bigger then merit...

sorry karl I started reading your post about trying something different and I read no further before suggesting aloft...which you already mentioned:hammerhead:

gregory
10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
have you used it?

TJLANDS
10-01-2010, 01:44 PM
I went to a class yesterday for credits and allectus was discussed. Most of us put down allectus in late June, but allectus only has a couple months life cycle, if watered in properly. Grub eggs can lay dormant for months until there is moisture in the soil or it rains, but this summer was very dry, so the eggs did not hatch until late this year, which means allectus is at its end cycle and wont kill the grubs this year. Allectus has less active ingredients then merit. Something to think about.

I am probably wrong but I thought the AI in allectus , and merit were Identical.
We were using it in lesco 18-0-8 plus allectus.
I will check out the labels next time at shop when monsoons stop.

jbturf
10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I am probably wrong but I thought the AI in allectus , and merit were Identical.
We were using it in lesco 18-0-8 plus allectus.
I will check out the labels next time at shop when monsoons stop.

yes , just a lower applied ai % at label rate

i had only two properties that i could not apply allectus on this summer- due to weather-lack of rain,
and one of those is the only property i have seen grub activity on

so i would say the imidacloprid worked fine for me,
however i did have some sod webworm activity
shortly after some allectus apps, within 2-3 weeks
which i have never had an issue with b4,
i have to conclude it was just ideal conditions for the pest
to thrive and less than ideal conditions for the insecticide to do its
job and provide a residual control in the thatch

so what did you find humble?

humble1
10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
yes , just a lower applied ai % at label rate

i had only two properties that i could not apply allectus on this summer- due to weather-lack of rain,
and one of those is the only property i have seen grub activity on

so i would say the imidacloprid worked fine for me,
however i did have some sod webworm activity
shortly after some allectus apps, within 2-3 weeks
which i have never had an issue with b4,
i have to conclude it was just ideal conditions for the pest
to thrive and less than ideal conditions for the insecticide to do its
job and provide a residual control in the thatch

so what did you find humble?

I had sod webworm moths weeks after the allectus application as well.

humble1
10-03-2010, 05:34 PM

imidicloprid will last longer than that the bifen is what doesnt last long, but mor elike 3 weeks...

The problem up here with the drought dormancy is that if the plant isnt growing it wont have any uptake of the AI

BocaChris
10-04-2010, 07:58 AM
We put down Arena at the high rate in May at 1 gallon per k. We have seen no grub damage and are just now starting to see chinch bug start up here and there. Expensive product but well worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
10-04-2010, 09:19 AM
We put down Arena at the high rate in May at 1 gallon per k. We have seen no grub damage and are just now starting to see chinch bug start up here and there. Expensive product but well worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

Are you not working points North of North Port???? Is that area not really have a bad Grub problem??? Compared to say PGI and the Cape.

BocaChris
10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Ric
I do work North of North Port, we also have a branch in Naples that covers the Fort Myers and Cape area. We have yet to see any grub damage there either.
Posted via Mobile Device

JWTurfguy
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Before buying Allectus, I would check to see the percent AI and then check to see how much is merit and how much is bifenthrin.

For example, if you're buying .225% Allectus and only .125% is imidaclopryd, I have a hard time seeing how that will give the same grub control as .2% merit, unless your only going 7-8k per bag with the Allectus.

Just my opinion...

Ric
10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Before buying Allectus, I would check to see the percent AI and then check to see how much is merit and how much is bifenthrin.

For example, if you're buying .225% Allectus and only .125% is imidaclopryd, I have a hard time seeing how that will give the same grub control as .2% merit, unless your only going 7-8k per bag with the Allectus.

Just my opinion...

JW

WHY??? Buy Allectus when you can buy Imidaclopryd and Bifenthrin cheaper and mix each to the Maximum Label rate. Using Generic products my cost is $ 25.00 an Acre and it controls Chemical resistant Chinch bugs as a bonus.

jbturf
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
spreadsheet i got from a vendor
breaks it all down nicely

naughty62
10-13-2010, 07:59 AM
What are you targeting with the bifen. in june or july . I am surprise at how many people rely on their chemical supplier to decipher labels for them.I have seen alot of people get products with inapropiate A.I. %s dumped on them or have not been told the correct timing for that product .Unusually the fert to A.I. is inappropriate .I will never win lawn guy of the year ,but i have taught myself to do the math ,so I dont get some crappy formulation hung in my ear .A couple years ago I had spreader some dry fert/preM combo .It gave me max label PreM control with about half the fert I should have been applying .So peoples supervisors .:laugh::laugh:

humble1
10-13-2010, 08:15 AM
What are you targeting with the bifen. in june or july . I am surprise at how many people rely on their chemical supplier to decipher labels for them.I have seen alot of people get products with inapropiate A.I. %s dumped on them or have not been told the correct timing for that product .Unusually the fert to A.I. is inappropriate .I will never win lawn guy of the year ,but i have taught myself to do the math ,so I dont get some crappy formulation hung in my ear .A couple years ago I had spreader some dry fert/preM combo .It gave me max label PreM control with about half the fert I should have been applying .So peoples supervisors .:laugh::laugh:

Keep in mind I am in a dif part of the country than you, but I am going after sod web worms and grub preventative at the same time. As far as AI, if a target insect is listed on the bag then it should work on that insect, period end of story. I don't expect the response from JDL to be, well it is a lower rate. Lower rate or high rate it should work if it is listed for an insect. Otherwise why sell a product?

gregory
10-13-2010, 10:57 AM
i never had good luck with lesco combo products. i used to use there fert/bifen products and always had a problem with chinch bugs then i switched to straight talstar g. products and got rid of them then went to liquid bifen....

i would never use a combo product again b/c of that problem....