PDA

View Full Version : I know this gets old. Need new mower, a few questions, read on.

Knight511
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Big points have been highlighted.

So I have finally got some money together to add a new mower (currently use 2 21" mowers) and I want to get something bigger (32-36"). I only mow residentials and would definitely prefer a walk behind. I am a 17 year part-timer that wants to expand and MAYBE end the part-time status since my wife will be graduating in May and can carry some benefits for us then. My limit is $3500 because I don't want to over use credit for this purchase and before I go running all over the DFW area pricing mowers, I wanted to gather some models that fall and seek out dealers to check them out.

One of my biggest concerns is that I am 6'4" and 305#. I am not looking for a mower that can pull my fat ass on a sulky, but I do want one with bars that hit me at a comfortable height (for example: Toro Commercial 21" mowers have WAY too short of handles for me to use for very long). Although a WB should be different since I won't have to push down on the bar to lift the front end to turn the mower.

The only mower really on the "list" so far is the Quick 32/36 Dually. Definitely hits the price point and is a more compact mower.

I see that Toro has 2 32" models on their website and they are VERY different. One is what I would consider a traditional looking commercial unit with a fixed deck (30672) and the other uses a floating Recycler deck and a single blade (30092). What are the thoughts about these two decks? I was under the impression that floating decks were "higher end" but I am not real sure about a single blade that big after seeing so many bad reviews of the Exmark Metro 26 here.

As much as I would love to have a hydro mower, there aren't many in my price range and there are not very many used mowers on CL and such in this area that don't look like they have been beat to hell.

And the last question would be for local guys... where do you go for mowers? I know of a couple of shops I have been to in the last couple of years (Storm in Grand Prairie and The Lawnmower Place in Arlington), but if you know a good place and a good guy to talk with, let me know.

Thanks for being patient with a part-timer.

GravyTrain
10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Part timer here as well. My main suggestion is to keep checking craigslist, newspaper classifieds, and even call dealers for used models. I got my Exmark TTHP 48" for I believe it was 3200. It was older, it had maybe 600 hours on it from what he guessed, but you have to remember, just because the thing looks like it has been beat up in a bar fight, then drug in the alley and finished off, these things are built like tanks. Mine is finishing up it's fourth year under my ownership and i've had minimal maintenance to do on it, lost a pulley and two starters over that time period.

If the motor starts and runs, if the blades engage and leave a smooth cut, you shouldn't really care what the thing looks like...at least not when on a tight budget.

One more thing you have going for you, with only about a month left in the cutting season, you technically have all winter to keep looking for a mower.

Good luck, hopefully some of the other guys can give you some more specifics, but just know, your mower is out there, you just have to find it.

ShooterK2
10-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree with Gravy on this: Use the winter time to find you a good mower. Belt drive is fine, but is tougher on the body. They're lighter (generally), but not by much, and the hydro's maneuverability makes it very desirable. Belt drives don't have much in the way of a reverse, which robs your ability to stick the mower under a tree/bush/etc. I mean, it can be done, but it'll wear you out pulling that thing back all the time. Hydro's are much easier to turn sharp without tearing the turf. You can actually zero-turn, on the sulky, without tearing the grass out. And it doesn't leave you feeling beat up at the end of the day.

Yes, a new hydro is out of your price range (except the Quick), but there will surely be some deals on Craigslist after the season ends, as some companies go out of business, or sell off to upgrade. Keep your ears peeled.

volvotech
10-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Like others have said, keep an eye out for good used equipment. I picked up my Husky used this year for $2000 w/ a Velke and it only had about 40 hours on it. If you could find a deal like that, you'd have no problem staying in your price range.

Also, after using a belt driven model, I'd recommend hydro if you can find it.

brianslawncare
10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
on ebay now their is a scag walkbehind hydro 60 inch cut with a 21 kawi ele start for 2200. the seller is quality used equiptment the seller is named seth. i bought two mowers from him with no issues. he has more mowers too.

Knight511
10-02-2010, 08:28 AM
on ebay now their is a scag walkbehind hydro 60 inch cut with a 21 kawi ele start for 2200. the seller is quality used equiptment the seller is named seth. i bought two mowers from him with no issues. he has more mowers too.

60" is too big. What is his ebay name so I can see what ese he has? I doubt it is just Seth.

Knight511
10-02-2010, 08:31 AM
And BTW... I appreciate the replies. I am planning on waiting until early next year, so these are good ideas. Even if I do get the Quick 36, the current promo does me no good (don't care about a bagger and do not want it delivered to my house because of what I do for a full-time job I don't need "them" actually coming to my house). I am going to spend my winter looking around quietly for something that will work for me.... I really think hydro (even single) is the way to go for me because I think belt will result in too much hand fatigue (I already have issues with my hands)...

Aaronnc
10-02-2010, 09:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Commercial-Torro-32-T-Bar-/110585113055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf62e9df#ht_500wt_1156

I know you said a 32-36" WB, but this looks like a good deal in your area: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/grd/1984475102.html

ALC-GregH
10-03-2010, 09:44 AM
And BTW... I appreciate the replies. I am planning on waiting until early next year, so these are good ideas. Even if I do get the Quick 36, the current promo does me no good (don't care about a bagger and do not want it delivered to my house because of what I do for a full-time job I don't need "them" actually coming to my house). I am going to spend my winter looking around quietly for something that will work for me.... I really think hydro (even single) is the way to go for me because I think belt will result in too much hand fatigue (I already have issues with my hands)...

What exactly do you do full time that a delivery truck can't drop off a mower at your house? Why do you have to look around quietly? It sounds as if you're hiding something.

Knight511
01-11-2011, 09:21 PM
What exactly do you do full time that a delivery truck can't drop off a mower at your house? Why do you have to look around quietly? It sounds as if you're hiding something.

To answer this and bump the thread with a new question or two.

I work for THE company BOP uses to deliver the mowers. I work in labor relations and often find myself in the middle of fights against the union... I don't want them coming to my house. ;)

So I am back on the prowl and am headed to a local dealer tomorrow to talk with them. I have 3 quotes so far.

1. Toro 30672 is the 32" T bar control FIXED deck with dual blades: quoted $2500.
2. Toro 30072 is the FLOATING deck 32" T bar with one big ass blade: quoted $3500.

3. Today I went and looked at the Ferris Hydrocut 32... quoted $2400 with the LPG kit (not that I am using LPG). The area I mow is FLAT... that seems to be the only real concern with the single hydros...

The catch is that the Toros are too far away (3 hour drive to OKC to pick one up). The dealer I went to today wanted $4200 for the 30072... of course he had a good deal on a ZTR that I can't afford... but the ego wants.

My concern now is that I have "grip" issues. Meaning I don't have arthritis but I have done enough office work (full time work) that if I have to use too much strength through my thumbs for too long, I want to die and will hurt for days. Example: I wanted to clear the leaves out of my yard and since I have been saving for a mower, I don't have a backpack blower... I grabbed both of my handhelds and worked for about an hour clearing leaves. My hands hurt for 3 days.

It takes exceptional stress to hurt my hands (normal mowing with my current equipment NEVER leaves me in pain).

My question is this... the T bar is suppose to reduce fatigue and such and I liked the way it felt when I played with it today, but does it really reduce enough fatigue to really compare the T bar to a dual hydro?

And yes, I have been watching Craigslist, but missed the only good deal on a small mower last month.... everything else is just too big for my properties.

I have $2600 ready to spend on a mower.... I am going to talk to another Toro dealer locally tomorrow. They are better stocked than the place I went today.

Thoughts?

JDUtah
01-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I loved the TBar! Wishing I never sold that machine! :(

Gassetts
01-11-2011, 09:39 PM
If you suffer from arthritis I would definetely go with the Toro T-bar system. The 30672 is our top selling model (currently out but will have more in mid February). Most of our cutters prefer the fixed deck 32 simply because of the pricing difference, and they like the 2 blade system. We also sell the 36" floating deck. Great looking mower, and very easy to operate and adjust the height of cut. If you are from the DFW area I'm sure you have heard of Gassett's, atleast i hope lol. Our 36" floating deck, model 30094, is currently on sale. Would love to help you out and get you the best deal possible.

Best regards,
Brad

KS_Grasscutter
01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
That's a hell of a deal on the fixed deck 32. I have one, the t bar is awesome. Think I paid around 3200 a year and a half ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
01-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I sent you a pm.

Robert Pruitt
01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
The T-BAR is second to none. i have some grip problems also,not with the T-BAR.

Mowing Freak
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Ask for demo units. They ought to be wanting to get rid of them around now and they will carry full factory warranty and maybe some or most will be willing to deal.

Knight511
01-12-2011, 05:25 PM
First, thanks for all the input. Second, thanks for the beating of "buy the dealership not the mower" I have been reading on the board. I gave my local guy another chance and stopped in today to talk with him. I ended up talking with the owner's son for 45 minutes about where I am at and what my goals are. We talked about the larger Toro mowers, but I think I had a good reality check from him in that I am still using crap machines for my 21s and would be better off as I rebuild a business to spend less, start small and grow.

I would have walked out with a mower, but it wouldn't fit in the car I drive to work... I will be going back on Friday (if not, Saturday) to pick up a Honda Commercial 21". Will pay back the loan from a family member to buy it, save up to buy a second 21 to have a back up and then go larger as my needs increase... :D I feel VERY good about dealing with them as they have been in my town since 1975 and are very approachable. I will also likely pick up a backpack blower (currently use a hand held) in March at an open house event they host (should be discounted according to what I was told today).

:D I know a 21 is nothing special, but it is a BIG step for me... getting away from using "Crapsman" and Husqvarna equipment... stepping up into something real. :)