PDA

View Full Version : This is why is sucks being a one man opertation.......

soloscaperman
10-01-2010, 02:10 PM
It's 2:30 and it stopped raining finally after 2 days. I will prolly only finish 3 lawns and it's going to be fun with the clumps. Mowing the laws that are heavily treated :-(. I am behind one day so it looks like I will be working Saturday. To the Northern guys like me, have fun.

Casey'sLM
10-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah I know how you feel, I only have 9 lawns that I do, but I was two days behind on them cause of the rain so I did the 5 I had to do yesterday. Not to bad since there not spaced apart so much.

chris@perfectlawncare
10-01-2010, 02:48 PM
It's 2:30 and it stopped raining finally after 2 days. I will prolly only finish 3 lawns and it's going to be fun with the clumps. Mowing the laws that are heavily treated :-(. I am behind one day so it looks like I will be working Saturday. To the Northern guys like me, have fun.

I hate to say it, but I wish I had your problem. It has only rained like an inch in the past 30 days. :(

DFLS
10-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I hate to say it, but I wish I had your problem. It has only rained like an inch in the past 30 days. :(

In CT this rain is our first on well over a month. Dust everywhere, lawns browned out, even the crabgrass and weeds were starting to dry up. Been a very dry summer from July on up to a few days ago when it started raining heavily. Now we have soggy lawns and puddles everywhere.

yardguy28
10-01-2010, 03:54 PM

behind or not i love working solo.......

i work 6-7 days a week when i am on schedule, let alone behind.

2 days of rain and it quit at 2:30pm on the second day. i'd just take the rest of the day off and let things dry out a bit.

being 1 day behind is NOTHING.

Florida Gardener
10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
^ I agree. 1 day is nothing. 2 is nothing depending on your accounts. Any more than 2 and the week is done.

I am in the process of training a guy and right now it is the same if I worked by myself but I don't want to be on the mower the rest of my life.....everything has its up and downs.

chris@perfectlawncare
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM
In CT this rain is our first on well over a month. Dust everywhere, lawns browned out, even the crabgrass and weeds were starting to dry up. Been a very dry summer from July on up to a few days ago when it started raining heavily. Now we have soggy lawns and puddles everywhere.

Yeah, right now even our dust is drying out. Make way for landscaping! :weightlifter:

grassdude
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't see where a solo operator that has been on this site for only 10 months and has over 1500 posts has any time to cut grass.

punt66
10-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Yup, lawns really are not growing here anymore anyway. 2 more cuts maybe? There is no getting behind as of now.

Richard Martin
10-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't see where a solo operator that has been on this site for only 10 months and has over 1500 posts has any time to cut grass.

Ouch! http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/kickass2.gif

I lost this whole week to almost 20 inches of rain in 5 days. It happens. Fortunately I'm now well set up for the month of October. I called the one customer that I thought might not be happy because I skipped him yesterday (Thursday) and he had no problem waiting a week and he understood.

HighGrass
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Why bother even mowing today? I'm a solo guy and for the first few years I used to feel the same way every time the rain came. But I soon found out that you have to change the way you look at the work week. First, those rainy days are great opportunities to change your oil, grease your machine, change your blades, scrape your deck, do bookwork, bank run. All that stuff needs to be done sooner or later, why not now? You can't fight nature, you might as well roll with it.
And winter will be here soon enough, throw that "weekend blues" in the closet, there will be plenty of time off when winter gets here. We have to be thankful that we can work on Sat and Sun. Head down to the un-employment office and you'll be more than happy to work the weekends. It's just a mind set. Not trying to be hard on you, just make believe that every day is a workday and there's always something to do.

STIHL GUY
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
this was the first rain for a while and everything is still soaked..

DFLS
10-01-2010, 05:13 PM

That is because solo operators are so efficient.

DFLS
10-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Why bother even mowing today? I'm a solo guy and for the first few years I used to feel the same way every time the rain came. But I soon found out that you have to change the way you look at the work week. First, those rainy days are great opportunities to change your oil, grease your machine, change your blades, scrape your deck, do bookwork, bank run. All that stuff needs to be done sooner or later, why not now? You can't fight nature, you might as well roll with it.
And winter will be here soon enough, throw that "weekend blues" in the closet, there will be plenty of time off when winter gets here. We have to be thankful that we can work on Sat and Sun. Head down to the un-employment office and you'll be more than happy to work the weekends. It's just a mind set. Not trying to be hard on you, just make believe that every day is a workday and there's always something to do.

I'll agree with that.

And guess what? Tomorrow is my birthday and I will be mowing. I had Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and today off due to rain. Had a few easy days to take time to do maintenance and run errands. Tomorrow will be cool and windy, perfect for mowing (dry grass). The only fly in the ointment will be the fallen branches everywhere and wet leaves on the driveways, patios, and walks.

My customers know that it rained excessively and they also know that I will get to them as soon as I can.

corey4671
10-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I've heard of rain. Forgotten what it looks like.

THEGOLDPRO
10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
missing a few days doesnt bother me anymore,we need the rain real bad so im happy we finally got some. it rained mon and tuesday,i mowed a few wed, then it rained thursday and fri, tomorrow im leaving for upstate new york till mon, have some stuff to do on tue and will get back to mowing and blowing leaves on wed.

the grass isnt growing fast enough to worry about getting behind on mowing this time of year.

JayD
10-01-2010, 09:07 PM

Me too.....We are 8" below normal from July 1....I'm about done....

yardguy28
10-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Ouch! http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/kickass2.gif

I lost this whole week to almost 20 inches of rain in 5 days. It happens. Fortunately I'm now well set up for the month of October. I called the one customer that I thought might not be happy because I skipped him yesterday (Thursday) and he had no problem waiting a week and he understood.

his statement doesn't bother or offend me.......

i've never met him and don't know him from adam so i could care less what he thinks.

i have so many posts because i'm always putting down what i think. plus being solo has nothing to do with having time to post on here. it's how many accounts you have. and right now i'm down a little plus the lack of rain and hot temps we have had this season has cut my days short.

i'm also not a landscaper. i strictly do the maintenance side of things. mostly mowing. i do some mulch in the spring. prune some hedges in the spring and fall. do some spring and fall clean ups. but thats about it.

soloscaperman
10-01-2010, 11:47 PM
his statement doesn't bother or offend me.......

i've never met him and don't know him from adam so i could care less what he thinks.

i have so many posts because i'm always putting down what i think. plus being solo has nothing to do with having time to post on here. it's how many accounts you have. and right now i'm down a little plus the lack of rain and hot temps we have had this season has cut my days short.

i'm also not a landscaper. i strictly do the maintenance side of things. mostly mowing. i do some mulch in the spring. prune some hedges in the spring and fall. do some spring and fall clean ups. but thats about it.

I agree also. Post don't matter within the years. I post a lot after work or at night. I can understand if someone had post during a week day afternoon.

THEGOLDPRO
10-02-2010, 12:36 AM
this is true, i have over 2k posts and have basically no actual helpful information.

yardguy28
10-02-2010, 08:07 AM
I agree also. Post don't matter within the years. I post a lot after work or at night. I can understand if someone had post during a week day afternoon.

yep thats when i do most of my posting......

the only time you will find a post from me in the morning or week day work hours is if it's raining or i finished work early for the day.

AI Inc
10-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Ya left out the # 1 reason. Ya cant sit on ya boat with a cell phone while your employees make ya $500.

punt66
10-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Ya left out the # 1 reason. Ya cant sit on ya boat with a cell phone while your employees make ya $500.

Been there done that. Realized its not the same with work going through your head. I cant enjoy fishing if i have stuff hanging over my head. I would rather be working. I just got home from doing 2 commercials this morning. Fishing sunday! Still too wet to mow residentials today.

scott312
10-02-2010, 10:06 AM

Yes it sucks. I had heart failure Aug 1st and got behind. Cost me 34,000
to get back to the lawns. I was up and rolling week later. Got to keep rolling when you're a one man show. :walking:

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey punt we gotta go fishing sometime LOL. What are the best area's to fish? I never went fishing before. Does walmart have good stuff?

Richard Martin
10-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes it sucks. I had heart failure Aug 1st and got behind. Cost me 34,000
to get back to the lawns. I was up and rolling week later. Got to keep rolling when you're a one man show. :walking:

I had a situation like that last year (stent). Cost around $44,000 and I was out working 3 days later. It was one of the rare times I took a helper/baby sitter. My wife insisted.

punt66
10-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Hey punt we gotta go fishing sometime LOL. What are the best area's to fish? I never went fishing before. Does walmart have good stuff?

sure, ill take you out. You are down by Danbury? Candlewood lake is good. I cant believe you have never gone fishing! Poor bastard.

gasracer
10-02-2010, 01:34 PM
We had a bad flood in May. I did 26 lawns when it dried up in 3 days. Now that October is here and we haven't had any rain 23 days the end of the season is here.

punt66
10-02-2010, 01:36 PM
We had a bad flood in May. I did 26 lawns when it dried up in 3 days. Now that October is here and we haven't had any rain 23 days the end of the season is here.

its mostly done here too. Maybe 2 more cuts while blowing leaves.

punt66
10-02-2010, 01:37 PM

walmart stuff is fine. I can show you the way and what to get if your interested. Prepair to have a new passion though hahah. You will be selling that camaro to trade for a boat.

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
walmart stuff is fine. I can show you the way and what to get if your interested. Prepair to have a new passion though hahah. You will be selling that camaro to trade for a boat.

Never went fishing, dad left me and my brother at around 6 To be honest I don't care about catching fish just relaxing and be in a place quiet rather then hearing a loud mower lol. I am from Shelton and there are a couple spots to fish but I don't think there legal.

punt66
10-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Never went fishing, dad left me and my brother at around 6 To be honest I don't care about catching fish just relaxing and be in a place quiet rather then hearing a loud mower lol. I am from Shelton and there are a couple spots to fish but I don't think there legal.

your not too far from the connecticut river. There you can fish for cats, striper, bass. Your also near the shore and can surf fish for stripers, porgy, black fish.