PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat vs Hustler vs ExMark vs Ferris

NJ John
08-13-2002, 05:17 PM
All,

Need help figuring out which ZTR to purchase. I have about 3 acres; much of which is sloping. Trying to decide which tractor would be "best". Have been using 38 inch Cub Cadet Garden Tractor which just takes way to long and love the zero turn capabilities of the high end residential / low end commercial ZTRs I'm looking at. I live in NJ so finding a dealer for all these mowers and others isn't a problem.

Looking at the:

Hustler Fastrack 18hp Honda w/ 52 inch deck

Bobcat 218ES with 18hp Kawasaki ( I think) w/ 52 inch deck

ExMark HP Lazer

Also, there is a Ferris dealer nearby although I haven't looked at those as yet.

Any recommendations? Pros/cons? Thoughts? Experience?

Just an ignorant homeowner looking to save time cutting the lawn while owning a mower that will last for the next decade.

Thanks in advance - Actually, if we don't get rain soon, I won't need a mower. Yesterday, I saw two trees fighting over a dog.
John

;)

grasscutter
08-14-2002, 06:11 AM
the 218 ES bobcat has a 18hp b&s intek or at least it did this spring. it appears to be pretty much the same mower as the 19hp kawasaki w/ 52 inch deck that is a commercial mower.

Artman
08-14-2002, 04:57 PM
It should be noted that the FasTrak is not a direct comparison to the others you mention. The Hustler Mini Z would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison. Now, having said that, the property you descripe is EXACTLY what the FasTrak was designed for and at a considerable cost savings over the other units. The FasTrak is a homeowner unit built to perform like a commercial unit and priced right around $5,000.00 and it will last the average homeowner 10 to 20 years easily.

wodinsc
08-22-2002, 12:25 PM
John,
I bought a new Bobcat 218ES this Spring for $5000. I looked at all of the homeowner models and liked the Hustler the best of these but felt like I needed the larger tires and stouter frame of a commercial model for my somewhat rough 4 acres. I loved the Exmark but couldn't pass up the Bobcat at this price. The 18hp Briggs Intek holds the price down but I have found it to have plenty of power and, at around 50 hours/year, it should be with me many years. I couldn't be more happy with the quality of cut or overall performance of this machine.

blades94
11-16-2002, 07:47 PM
The best thing that I would say to do is to try each one out and see which works for you. I have all Exmark equipment and I would never switch. I love my lazer 60" It has a excellent cut and I feel very save on the hills that I have to deal with. I can't say enough about the options that they offer. The bagging system is quick and simple to use and the mulching system for the fall is second to none. But all and all you have to be happy with what you choose. Happy choosing. In Michigan it seems Januaryis a good time to buy lawn equipment as dealers are trying to move old inventory. Or see if any of the dealers in your area have spring equipment shows. That is the Best time to buy.

Happy Hunting

toymaker
11-17-2002, 02:36 PM
how about Gravelly, they make four resonably priced residentiall ZT's. 1740,1842,2048 and 2250.

IBGreen
11-17-2002, 10:26 PM
I have heard only good things about exmark, the ones I've demoed have been great! But I use Husqvarna commercial equipment, I think as of now they have the 61 inch deck for around $6,800. They have been great for us, I am going to purchase a new Husqvarna 36" walk behind for next year, the only other mower I want is a Walker. I am buying a used one for my Christmas gift!

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
11-18-2002, 09:39 PM
you will not go wrong with the bobcat it is all we will run.Great machine

justaschmo
11-28-2002, 04:59 PM
No unsolicited advertising.

Equipguy
12-08-2002, 07:19 AM
You won't go wrong with the Hustler for slope holding. But I'd go with the mini Z rather than the fast track. It will last forever using it as you described and is a far better machine than the fast tack.

Bill Davis
01-15-2003, 09:11 AM
If money is not a problem then go for the Exmark HP. I love mine and if you take care of it will last you forever.

GraZZmaZter
01-15-2003, 10:47 AM
If i had to choose, i would go with the eXmark mower. I love the mowers, and have never had a major problem with them or the dealership. If you mow only the 3 acres with it, i guarantee it will last WAY longer than a decade. More like the rest of your life, and if properly maintained, longer than that. Good luck!!