PDA

View Full Version : Florida exam

boonehockey
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Has anyone in florida took the limited commercial pesticide test. I just want to know, if you have to study the whole maunaul or just parts of it.

Ric
10-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Has anyone in florida took the limited commercial pesticide test. I just want to know, if you have to study the whole maunaul or just parts of it.

Boone

Question back to you is, Do you want to just pass, or do you really want to know the subject?????

Passing the Limited test is so easy you should hang your head in shame if you fail it. About 5 years ago I was a CEU Provider and taught the then 8 hour class required to take the test. The class is now only 6 hours so you can take the class and have 2 hours do take a 10 minute test in a normal 8 hour day.

My suggestion is to study your Butt off so you can ask intelligent question of the Provider(instructor) giving the class. It can mean the difference of making a lot of money or losing a lot of customers from messing up.

Yep the Choice is yours. You can be like a 30 year in the business fool or a sharp beginner

fl-landscapes
10-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Boone

Question back to you is, Do you want to just pass, or do you really want to know the subject?????

Passing the Limited test is so easy you should hang your head in shame if you fail it. About 5 years ago I was a CEU Provider and taught the then 8 hour class required to take the test. The class is now only 6 hours so you can take the class and have 2 hours do take a 10 minute test in a normal 8 hour day.

My suggestion is to study your Butt off so you can ask intelligent question of the Provider(instructor) giving the class. It can mean the difference of making a lot of money or losing a lot of customers from messing up.

Yep the Choice is yours. You can be like a 30 year in the business fool or a sharp beginner

rics correct the test is open book after a six hour class, I guarantee my 12 year old could pass the test. Ask questions and learn as much as you can, youll be a better applicator for it. Remember the limited lis. is NOT a round up lis. thats what people who are not very ambitious use it for, you can spray in landscapes all pesticides that have a caution label which include herbicides insecticides, fungicides, growth regulators, pre-emergents, etc.

Ric
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
rics correct the test is open book after a six hour class, I guarantee my 12 year old could pass the test. Ask questions and learn as much as you can, youll be a better applicator for it. Remember the limited lis. is NOT a round up lis. thats what people who are not very ambitious use it for, you can spray in landscapes all pesticides that have a caution label which include herbicides insecticides, fungicides, growth regulators, pre-emergents, etc.

fl-landscapes

the 6 hour class is actually spoon feeding the 50 multiply guess questions. Unlike the Commercial CPO exam the quesions have ONE obvious correct answer and 3 off the wall answers. I am afraid to say the limited ornamental License is more of a Tax stamp that also require the individual to carry insurance.

Just this morning I was reading a Inside Pest Control Site that said Florida has Hired 19 New Ag Inspectors. They didn't say over what period of time and we have had a new inspector in my area for about 3 or 4 months now. Like all new brooms he is sweeping clean. In fact I am waiting on the Oct quarterly report of disciplinary actions by the Dept to confirm humors of very large Fines on other companies. History shows that after a year or two the Ag Inspector get bogged down with paper work and are not as aggressive on chasing illegal applicators. But Right now they are hot trot. Add in the fact the State is going broke and Fines are our new Taxes.

Any one who doesn't get a Limited License is a 1st class fool IMHO.

WOW
10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
How would one go about getting a limited license in NW Florida?

WOW
10-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.flaes.org/pdf/lndspckt.pdf

Ric
10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
How would one go about getting a limited license in NW Florida?

WOW

It is actually pretty simple to get a Limited License. The Big expense is get the required insurance. Someone told me it runs around $400 a year for a limited License.

CONTACT your local County Extension Service. Get on their E mail list as well as the surround Counties E mail List. The County Extension service will hold several Classes during the year and give the Test right after the Class. all of the answers to the test will be given in the 6 hour class. Listen closely because the Instructor will say This is important which means it is a question on the test.

Don't go to Bob Kessler Blow Hard or anyone who is a Private Provider. They Charge way too much and only Blow Smoke. Wait for a County near you to give the class. I am on the Extension E mail list and Between the 5 counties around me, There will be Limited license classes each month this winter.

WOW
10-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks Ric. Found a class in my town on the 29th for $30.00.

Ric
10-18-2010, 09:39 AM

WOW

Good Luck and stay on those E mail lists because they will make you money. The Extension service has many training seminars during the year. That Training will allow you to use your Limited License to it's fullest Potential.

Eric E
11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
WOW

That Training will allow you to use your Limited License to it's fullest Potential.

Would you please elaborate?

Ric
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Would you please elaborate?

Eric

Very Simple, With a limited License you can offer Shrub and Tree Pest control as long as you use Caution label Products and hand pump sprayers.
of course you have to know your insects and plants.

HappyDaysLawnCare
11-02-2010, 01:56 PM
A very informative little birdie advised me that verrrrrry soon in FL we, as a Lawn Service Provider, will HAVE to have the BMP (Best Management Practices) certification. Low-cost, easy to do, should help clean some of the rif-raf cutting my jugular right now, because they HAVE to have the cert sticker on the vehicle!:nono:

Eric E
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
the way I understand it is that BMP becomes law 2012. That will allow you to apply fert to lawns. Some areas have already made it law, Orange County being one of them.

Ric
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
A very informative little birdie advised me that verrrrrry soon in FL we, as a Lawn Service Provider, will HAVE to have the BMP (Best Management Practices) certification. Low-cost, easy to do, should help clean some of the rif-raf cutting my jugular right now, because they HAVE to have the cert sticker on the vehicle!:nono:

Happy Days

Both Sarasota and Charlotte require the BMP certification to apply Fertilizer NOW. In January 1 2014 it becomes required by State law.

Buck_wheat
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Will agree with Ric here; the limited app test is a joke and the bmp test is also a joke, but it's a start. The State ought to raise the bar. The green industry no longer consists of just cutting grass (usually too short and scalped) unlimited water & blanket applications of pesticides for lawns that have been wrecked by hackers.

It's becoming a science, the L&O's need to be properly managed, a combination of LCO, PCO & Irrigation combined. That requires education and the higher the bar is set, the more professional the industry will be, the better managed properties we'll have and the Sanford & Sons Crews will have to drop out.

Attend as many extension seminars as you can, even if it doesn't directly apply to your field because all of it eventually will, directly or indirectly.

Remember, when they have failed at everything else, the come to Florida to either sell real estate or cut grass.

Tim Smith
11-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow you mean to tell me I need a license to spray turf in Florida?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Wow you mean to tell me I need a license to spray turf in Florida?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim

I am beginning to think you don't need a license to treat turf because I see so many doing it with out a license. Heck no license means the Ag inspector doesn't have your Phone Number and address so he won't bother you. He is too busy fining those who do have a license.

Tim Smith
11-03-2010, 12:23 AM
I agree 100% I have thought about it many times but my accounts are just to big to do that. I may just start a small company and see how long it takes to get busted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-03-2010, 01:03 AM
I agree 100% I have thought about it many times but my accounts are just to big to do that. I may just start a small company and see how long it takes to get busted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim

The problem is the state has you & Me by the short a curries by a thing called a certificate. We worked too hard to get it and they can take it if the fine they levee isn't paid on time. You will have to pay that fine before you can re-test and then the Bureau can denine a certification and even a Tech Card. Look at past Enforcement bulletins where they did it to others.

Yep if you were never Certified and get a fine you just keep on trucking. The Fine is cheaper than all the BS we had to spend money on to be legal any way. Of course if you force the issue, the state will come down on you hard.

HappyDaysLawnCare
11-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Happy Days

Both Sarasota and Charlotte require the BMP certification to apply Fertilizer NOW. In January 1 2014 it becomes required by State law.

Thanks so much for the confirmation Ric! We don't mess with fertilizer, but going to jump on the BMP cert for the next 12/10 class. It'll be nice to get some of these low-ballers out of here. One came in @ $50 per month, includes 2 free shrub trimming and 4 free round-ups per year, I got his number :nono:

mx315
11-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Tim

I am beginning to think you don't need a license to treat turf because I see so many doing it with out a license. Heck no license means the Ag inspector doesn't have your Phone Number and address so he won't bother you. He is too busy fining those who do have a license.

I tell my buddies at other LCO's around here all the time, that the inspector follows the companies around that he knows will pay the fines, if he can bust them for something. These low ballers are spraying everything in sight, but if he catches them, they will just close down and start another company next week and never pay the fines.

Ric
11-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks so much for the confirmation Ric! We don't mess with fertilizer, but going to jump on the BMP cert for the next 12/10 class. It'll be nice to get some of these low-ballers out of here. One came in @ $50 per month, includes 2 free shrub trimming and 4 free round-ups per year, I got his number :nono:

HappyDays

I have a sedge kill job today off of 775. That is not my area in fact way out of my normal treatment area. But it is for a Sod Company that I network with.

Take the time and get both your limited and BMP fert license they will make you money. Hook up with a company like Econo Pest to blanket spray Insecticide on your yards and hopefully some weed control. By being sharp and on the property every week you can do a better job than I can visiting once a month.

I tell my buddies at other LCO's around here all the time, that the inspector follows the companies around that he knows will pay the fines, if he can bust them for something. These low ballers are spraying everything in sight, but if he catches them, they will just close down and start another company next week and never pay the fines.

MX

Big problem is the law has no teeth. If a Road Cop sees you run a stop sign he gives you a ticket and you pay, End of story. If an Ag inspector sees you spraying, He must get 32 8x10 glosses of you mixing the chemicals and applying them. And don't forget the 27 page signed confession in order to issue a warning letter.

mx315
11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
MX

Big problem is the law has no teeth. If a Road Cop sees you run a stop sign he gives you a ticket and you pay, End of story. If an Ag inspector sees you spraying, He must get 32 8x10 glosses of you mixing the chemicals and applying them. And don't forget the 27 page signed confession in order to issue a warning letter.
I have looked on the DACS website for the fines or penalties, but have never been able to find it. Do you have a link to the fines & process?
I sub all my application, but do have a limited license. I have heard everything from $5000 to $7000 for first offense and other stories. I would like to see it in writing.

Ric
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I have looked on the DACS website for the fines or penalties, but have never been able to find it. Do you have a link to the fines & process?
I sub all my application, but do have a limited license. I have heard everything from $5000 to $7000 for first offense and other stories. I would like to see it in writing.

MX

Flaes.org is the main link to chapters 355, 482 and 487 licensing of all kinds of pesticides. Chapter 355 is Public Health License for vector insects. 482 is Horticulture/Structural, etc and 487 is more Ag and Golf Course licensing etc. Chapter 5E-14 applies also. Hopefully I am about to start a Tech training class and the Law will be the first subject covered followed by safety.

But Here is a Link you might want to save. It is the Memos by the Bureau that all Licensee are responsible to read and follow. It lists chemically sensitive people as well as past disciplinary actions. Please look at several back memos and note the number of Unlicensed fines. Also note the some cases where Certifications have been revoked and others who were denied Tech Cards or Certifications.

http://www.flaes.org/aes-ent/memorandums.html

FLAhaulboy
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
What kind of license is needed to apply Round up? Could I spray Bifen IT under the limited license? Thanks

Ric
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
What kind of license is needed to apply Round up? Could I spray Bifen IT under the limited license? Thanks

Haulboy

The Limited License we discussed in the beginning of this thread is what you need to spray Roundup. Bifen IT which is generic Talstar can also be sprayed with that License except ONLY ON ORNAMENTAL PLANTS & TREES, NO TURF

Contact your local County Extension Service to get the required classes.

FLAhaulboy
11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I was thinking of mainly using the Bi IT to start up a mosquito spraying service, there real bad in my area, plus it kills ants, fleas, roaches etc. I have had awesome success using this product with mosquitoes & ants around my home. Thought I might be able to make some good $ spraying.

Ric
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I was thinking of mainly using the Bi IT to start up a mosquito spraying service, there real bad in my area, plus it kills ants, fleas, roaches etc. I have had awesome success using this product with mosquitoes & ants around my home. Thought I might be able to make some good $ spraying.

Sorry Haulboy

Those insects are not pests to ornamental plants or trees. Therefore the Limited License can not treat for them legally. The Structural Pest Control License covers all insects that bite people or invade homes except the Termite which is a different license. The Limited License is just that LIMITED. You can't use any power equipment of any kind and no tanks over 4 gallons. Most people or spray techs won't give you a second look spraying Roundup or insecticide on plants, But mess with there bread and butter by taking their work and they will turn you in.

Tim Smith
11-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Yep might even get some mad enough to throw round up ice cubes in your treatment area. I've heard of that I think lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Yep might even get some mad enough to throw round up ice cubes in your treatment area. I've heard of that I think lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Tim

Illegal applicators never stop to think they are stealing work from those of us who paid our dues and got licensed. I am sure they would not want me stealing there Mower or their Truck Etc, they would call the police or even shoot me. So why are they steal our work.

mx315
11-04-2010, 03:29 PM
There's a huge difference in penalties on there. Same offense for one company was $22K and others were for $600 or warning. I actually saw a couple up here that got letters, I could write 50 a day just driving around town. You ever hear of a company "leasing" their license to another company? We have a landscape company that uses a ladies license (she kept after her husband got out of the biz) for their own in house spraying. I know the company that used to do my spraying called the state and the state inspector told them it was legal. He said as long as she was a employee of the company and available (by phone, email or in person) for questions during biz hours... it was legal. Said nowhere in rules does it say how many hours she had to work for company, just legal employee. Said she had to have training meeting once a month too.

fl-landscapes
11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
There's a huge difference in penalties on there. Same offense for one company was $22K and others were for $600 or warning. I actually saw a couple up here that got letters, I could write 50 a day just driving around town. You ever hear of a company "leasing" their license to another company? We have a landscape company that uses a ladies license (she kept after her husband got out of the biz) for their own in house spraying. I know the company that used to do my spraying called the state and the state inspector told them it was legal. He said as long as she was a employee of the company and available (by phone, email or in person) for questions during biz hours... it was legal. Said nowhere in rules does it say how many hours she had to work for company, just legal employee. Said she had to have training meeting once a month too.

its called a "rental lis" people use it to get through loop holes. As far as the training meeting they just document a fake one I am sure.....no way of proving it didnt happen

mx315
11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, sounds pretty fishy to me. It's actually worked out well for me, their spray tech has torched alot of turf and I've picked up two of their commercial accounts in the past few weeks.

Landscape Poet
11-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Not sure if this was the case when you took it fl-landscapes or not, but I just took it this year and it is not open book, however as others have said, it is very spoon feed and easy. Basically if you have the ability to read a label and comprehend it, you will pass, if you do not you REALLY should not think about carrying RU, let alone pesticides, because you will most likely cause damage with it.

I do not really agree that it will make you a lot of money as you are not allowed to run a pesticide company with it. Unless you are doing Illegal applications to lawns - you most likely are working with a PCO to supply your customers with service for their lawns. I use one known for being good but also the most expensive in my area, Heron. They offer shrub care to my customers for on average $40 every two months....and they have a shrub replacement program if the shrub dies from pest under their watch. I can not compete on this at those prices - it just would not be worth my time. Now I can occasionally make money from someone who does not have their lawn treated and I bring something to their attention, not a lot but enough to pay for the license.

Landscape Poet
11-04-2010, 06:47 PM

The $30 is just for attending the class - their is a cost of $150 or $180 to take the test - Also the books to review ( handy info in these but not absoutely needed for the class) run about $30. I can not remember correctly at this time - but then to maintain you just have to take CEC's each year

Landscape Poet
11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Boone

These is the key question because the test will teach you nothing to very little about applying pesticides or which ones work, what their effects are or how long of a residual effect they have in the plant.
Getting the license is easy - figuring out how to use it to its full effect will take teaming up with another knowledgeable PCO or if you are lucky and have a knowledgeable supplier that can guide you in the right direction.