PDA

View Full Version : Can running a grass trimmer in the rain ruin it?

soloscaperman
10-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I was on my last lawn while it was down pouring. I was almost done and it just cut out. I heard it die out for a split second then it happen. I keep pulling the string but no luck. I spray starter fluid and no luck. Sounds like it just flooded. I then for the hell of it choked it and smelt a lot of fuel. Either I ruined the coil some how in the rain or it was from the gas can that I had open two nights ago and the pouring spout was open!!!

djlunchbox
10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
was it the nasty rain we had today? if so, i feel for ya. i was out in it all day with my full time job. my guess is that the air filter is soaked. did you get it started yet?

soloscaperman
10-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I let it sit in my garage for an hour and started first pull!

TheC-Master
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
A good one won't just "die" in the rain from being out there here and then, but I wouldn't leave my equipment outside. Too much depreciation.

djlunchbox
10-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I let it sit in my garage for an hour and started first pull!

boo ya:cool2:

soloscaperman
10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
The trimmer was sitting in the rain today while I was working. I was the only guy mowing. People were looking at me weird. I learned it's not worth mowing in the rain just the stress on the equipment. The quality was ok but I had to spend extra time. One yard I did I could see the tire marks since the grass didn't want to pick up and the mower sunk 1/4 inch I think. First time with the mower in the rain and it did good! No clumps really but I cheated and raised it 4 inches or 3 7/8 :-)

Alan0354
10-01-2010, 09:07 PM
You might have wet the air filter enough that it create so much resistance for air to past through and cause the engine to suck too much gas into the engine. It is like you try to run in close choke.

djlunchbox
10-02-2010, 10:21 AM
The trimmer was sitting in the rain today while I was working. I was the only guy mowing. People were looking at me weird. I learned it's not worth mowing in the rain just the stress on the equipment. The quality was ok but I had to spend extra time. One yard I did I could see the tire marks since the grass didn't want to pick up and the mower sunk 1/4 inch I think. First time with the mower in the rain and it did good! No clumps really but I cheated and raised it 4 inches or 3 7/8 :-)

what part of the state are you in solo? just wondering what shop you trust the most. i'm not super happy with any of them around manchester

GrandMaster
10-03-2010, 05:17 PM
what part of the state are you in solo? just wondering what shop you trust the most. i'm not super happy with any of them around manchester

If it is running while being in the rain it will be fine. The wet grass will heat the motor a little more.