PDA

View Full Version : Enough $ made in the summer to chill

Nelson
08-13-2002, 05:46 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if some of U guys & gals make enough
money in the summer to take Winter off? I think that is
soooooooooooo cool, if anybody is able to do that?

Not asking for any figures or any revunue per summer
months...just a question that came 2 mind? It's just
nice 2 know....that someone can do this.....and still
make a living just working in the growing months....

One day...One Sweet day......... :cool:

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 05:55 PM
I didn't work this past winter.. but I wouldn't say I made enough money either.. as I just squeaked by.

This year will be much better.. but I will find something part time to keep me busy. Maybe some plowing.. God willing.

65hoss
08-13-2002, 06:32 PM
I don't usually work from Dec 20 until Feb. My vacation time.

KDJ
08-13-2002, 06:37 PM
Here in Central Florida we don't take the winter off. It may slow a little but thats it.

Bob Minney
08-13-2002, 06:51 PM
Yes
I take Dec and Jan off

1MajorTom
08-13-2002, 07:28 PM
We work whatever work needs to be done to finish up in November. Usually there is not too much to do. Then we have Dec., Jan.,Feb., and at least half of March off to do what we want.

We have never worked in the off season even our first year in the business. That first year was tight because we had just bought our home so we didn't have any money for any fun extras.
Each winter we are better off than the last one.

The one thing we do though is work on strategizing. We get all our paperwork and ideas together. Make up new newsletters, update all customer accounts deciding if we want to retain them for the upcoming season, send out any cancellation letters, etc.

After working all season, the last thing we would want to have to do is work in the off season. That's one reason why we enjoy this type of work. By March though, we are itching for the new season to start. :)

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-13-2002, 07:41 PM
I work until the end of December. I take of Jan-Feb. In the winter months I work on all the machines and trucks. I also work on ways to improve systems/services. That is the major factor in increasing my profits each year. I find myself spending alot more time on Lawnsite.com :D Travis

Nelson
08-13-2002, 08:35 PM
Thanks Ladies & Gentelman,

I was just wondering how it worked out? I also take it
that it takes a few years in Biz 2 accomplish this correct?

My 1st year really.......& unfortunatly I can not indulge
in this yet.......maybe a part time job in winter......but
maybe this will be my last year I will have 2 find a part
time job...2 make ends meet?:p

Brickman
08-13-2002, 09:00 PM
I couldn't make enough in the summer to take the winter off. I always ended up doing what ever I could find to make money. Season here does not start good until April some times really late April, and ends mowing the first of Oct. Then there are sprinkler blow outs to do until that runs out, usually the first of Nov. 4 or 5 months of no income was impossible for me. Year around income was some thing I considered when I sold the lawn care biz, I now have a house payment, and could see no way to make that and continue the way things had been since 1996. There usually is not enough snow removal to count on any kind of good income from that.

Albemarle Lawn
08-13-2002, 09:05 PM
Not much work Jan & Feb here. But doesn't mean I don't work. I inventory and fix/ replace equipment and vehicles, do taxes, etc.

Also plow snow if it snows. Actually, stay pretty busy, always something to do.

KB

Lawn Wizard
08-13-2002, 09:23 PM
My first year I had to go get a job during the winter to make ends meet, and we just barely squeaked by. After this seson we will have enough to make it through the winter and have enough to start back up in Spring.

Nelson
08-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Lawn Wizard
My first year I had to go get a job during the winter to make ends meet, and we just barely squeaked by. After this seson we will have enough to make it through the winter and have enough to start back up in Spring.

Hey Lawn Wizard,

That's Awesome.......If I am not mistaken your profile says U
only been in the Biz 4... 1.5 years? If so U go boy........

Floridalandcare
08-13-2002, 10:40 PM
Move to Florida , we make more $in the winter.you just have indulge the HEAT.

SLS
08-13-2002, 10:45 PM
Yeah...Dec, Jan, and Feb...VACATION TIME! :D

Nelson
08-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Floridalandcare
Move to Florida , we make more $in the winter.you just have indulge the HEAT.

I am in Florida !!!!!!!!!!

Richard Martin
08-14-2002, 06:32 PM
I will have to work a little this winter. Fortunately I've been lineing up jobs from my customers. I put away a good amount of money when the grass was growing but July, August and September are my usual savings months. It's not gonna happen this year due to the drought.

smburgess
08-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Never have taken the winter off, but we sure do cut back on the workload. I pay my employees minimuim 30 hours per week (even if we don't work at all) unless they work more, but usually only have to do that in January.

ceaman
08-14-2002, 08:03 PM
Snow..... What is that? Its been so long I have forgotten! is that what that big red V blade and that deicer is for..... I forgot why that was setting in the back yard...

GroundKprs
08-15-2002, 12:27 AM
Used to lay back for winter, but that just lasted a couple of years. If money was tight, I could take a part time job. But the beltline getting tight, and the 3 weeks of soreness getting going in the spring was a pain. Lot easier to just do snow - real outdoors snow, no plowing. And there is no competition for that. LOL! My hourly snow rate is higher than some of the guys in plows, and I'm not beating my truck up.