PDA

View Full Version : Scag, JD, Exmark suspunsion?????????????

deerex
10-01-2010, 09:06 PM
How come many of the top zero turn makers do not offer suspensions on there mowers? Is it because of scalping issues, or trying to keep cost down on already the most expensive mowers on the market. What is it. It does not make sense to me.

demhustler
10-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Scag, JD, Exmark suspunsion?????????????
How come many of the top zero turn makers do not offer suspensions on there mowers? Is it because of scalping issues, or trying to keep cost down on already the most expensive mowers on the market. What is it. It does not make sense to me.

why not? if it sells as is - why should they bother? while it stays so - they will tel ya: "if it ain't broken - don fix it; + 4 those speeds - low tire pressure - good enough; - here's your suspunsion" :laugh:

deerex
10-01-2010, 11:05 PM
That is a good point. I would still think at some time they would go to a suspension, but maybe not.

johnroscoe
10-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I'll take the upgraded seat on the Scag Turf Tiger anyday.

I understand that with independent suspension like on the Ferris, the deck can dip when you slow down and turn at the end of a row.

doubleedge
10-01-2010, 11:54 PM
There are several ways to make a mower with independent suspension that wont make the deck dip at all. I don't know why nobody has produced one.

Ferris's system isn't perfect; it will dip a little bit. Low tire pressure causes dipping and uneven cut too.

deerex
10-02-2010, 09:37 AM
I just got a new JD 925 about a month ago and the dealer put a new suspension seat on a couple of weeks after I bought it. I agree John those suspension seats make a world of difference.

TLS
10-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Suspension:

More stuff to go wrong.

More stuff to wear out.

More weight.

More money.

Keep 10psi in the rear tires and use AIR filled Ribbed Carlisle tires in the front casters (8psi), coupled with a good suspension seat, and I'm totally happy.

Mike Blevins
10-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Scag has the Cheetah coming out soon. One of the reasons the "more expensive" mowers don't just come out with a mower with a suspension is they do alot of r & d and demoing to make sure the product is the best it can be. That way when they release them to the dealers the buyer don't have to be the guinny pig. You get what you pay for. :usflag:

deerex
10-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Suspension:

More stuff to go wrong.

More stuff to wear out.

More weight.

More money.

Keep 10psi in the rear tires and use AIR filled Ribbed Carlisle tires in the front casters (8psi), coupled with a good suspension seat, and I'm totally happy.

I for sure feel that the rough ride on my JD is due to the solid front tires. I may try switching out the solid tires for the air filled ones. I like the idea of no flat front tires but I have always run slime in my tires and have never had downtime due to a flat. Has anyone else switched the front tires from solid to air or air to solid? What were the ride results?

TLS
10-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I've had a lot of mowers with various tires ( solid and air ) and came to the conclusion that the ribbed Carlisle's ride the smoothest. I was never able to get as smooth a ride with slicks.
Posted via Mobile Device

deerex
10-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I've had a lot of mowers with various tires ( solid and air ) and came to the conclusion that the ribbed Carlisle's ride the smoothest. I was never able to get as smooth a ride with slicks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are the ribbed Carlisle you are talking about solid or air?

TLS
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Air.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scagman31
10-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Air front tires are more forgiving and comfortable. I agree that if you keep some green slime you should be fine with minor punctures.