PDA

View Full Version : 36" scag WB

grassrootsnc
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
is 550 for a belt drive scag wb a good price? all i know is it is a 13hp kawi, new trans, coil, ign box, belts and blades. no hour meter and was used commercialy.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-02-2010, 12:23 AM
is 550 for a belt drive scag wb a good price? all i know is it is a 13hp kawi, new trans, coil, ign box, belts and blades. no hour meter and was used commercialy.

I would run a compression check to see how worn out the engine is. My 15 HP Kawi powered Scag SWZU's have thousand of hours on them and still run great. I recently had the mechanic who does my work run a compression check and they both checked out just fine.

I would check out the frame and deck really closely to make sure it's straight and in good shape. Take the cover off the deck and engage the blades to make sure there's no problems.

For only $500 the mower is probably pretty worn. I got $900 - $1000 when I sold my two Scag 36 belt drives about five years ago. My machines were 3-4 years old and in good shape. Never buy any old cheap Toro's because they had major problems with the decks cracking around the spindles.

Jimslawncareservice
10-02-2010, 09:49 AM
i am assuming its the original motor? do you know what year? but even at 500 it may not be a bad purchase. not sure on if it would be your main mower or back up and how many hours a day/week you would put on it. if it was a back up it would be fine. but as a full time mower i would expect to replace the motor next year sometime.

grassrootsnc
10-02-2010, 11:51 PM
thanks for the input both of you. I went tonight to look at it and it is in great shape mechanically but cosmetically it isnt the greatest. its old and the owner isnt sure of the year as he got it on a trade for some work that he did. it starts on the second or third pull cold and on the first when warm. the deck is in good shape with only one bent part at the rear of the discharge. it runs smooth cuts great and the belts dont slip and are in good shape. the paint is a bit rough but the metal is in good shape under it all except for a little pitting in the metal on the pully cover. all in all i think that it will be a good mower till i can afford a z. as of now i only have 11 clients and 10 of them are everyother week. if i get more i will be looking into a 48 to 52 z but for now i think that i am going to get good use out of this scag. and i got it for 550 and he threw in a stihl back pack blower that runs pretty good.

unkownfl
10-03-2010, 02:28 AM
You did just fine. What engine does it have a FB or FC kawasaki?

grassrootsnc
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
It has a FB 460v. Model number SWb 36
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Its more than likely a 90's model then with that engine. Keep an eye out on the oil level and you should be fine. Starting issue could be a worn engine or maybe some gunk in the carb...

grassrootsnc
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
can anyone tell me how to adjust the tracking on it or is it as is? it pulls slightly to the left and id like to correct it.