PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for 183,000 sq. ft. of grass

Derrick Roberts
08-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Hey Ya'll,

I am currently bidding a commercial property that measured out at 183,000 sf. I am thinking that five guys could do this in six hours. Two guys w/e and edging, 1 52 inch Scag TC, and 2 48 w/b Scags. I have a good plan as to how I would use the w/b's. If this sounds right to those who have big properties or vice versa, please let me know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derrick

P.S. The biggest property I have now is 79,000 sf.

Runner
08-13-2002, 08:21 PM
There is no way of telling with the info you gave. What is it? Does it have buildings? Much trimming? Edging? Beds? Hills/ditches? Actually, 6 hours sounds like a long time to cut just over 4 acres with all the equip and all the people you're running.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-13-2002, 08:33 PM
I agree with Runner. Give us more details. Is the area open and flat? Is it broken up into islands? Do the area have parking lots? Do you have to blow them off? Will it be done once a week Biweekly? Details Details my man. Travis

KLMlawn
08-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Yes, you need to give more details, but I know that I could do that with my laborer, if it is fairly open and moderate cutting in and trim/edging, in about 4 hours or so. That is with a 52" and a 36" Stander.
Actually, theoretically, with a 52 and a 36 both running at approximately 5 miles an hour (2/3 of max ground speed) at 80% efficiency (to compensate for turns and overlap) it should really only take about an hour to cut 4 acres, then add the trimmimg/edging and blowing. ... I did say theoretically !!

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Do you have 5 guys?

Derrick Roberts
08-13-2002, 10:56 PM
Sorry fellas,

The property is fairly level ground. It is broken up into five different sections. One section measured over 2000 feet of hard edging. This is really a lawn cutters dream, no seriuos slopes. very small islands in each section, and hardly any weedeating.

TSG- I only have four employees. I thought I would bring one more just to detail the property, like spraying round up,maintaining the appearance of shrubs etc.... He may not be nessacary. I say six hours because I want to make double sure property is ready for walk about with Prop. Mang.

Runner- Yes, there is only one building.

Travis- It would be a 52 week contract. Lawn cut 38 times. Blowing 52 times etc.. We are responsible for clippings discharged into parking lot and drive, we do not have to blow entire lot.

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 11:04 PM
I want to know how someone with four employees does not know his production times? I mean if I were at that stage I would hope to know.

I cannot see it taking anywhere near 6 hours.. even with 2 guys.

How long does it take to do your 79,000 sf property?

Flex-Deck
08-13-2002, 11:21 PM
You can do that in only 3 hours with one person. - With the Flex-Deck Attachment on a JD all wheel steer tractor, or Dixie Chopper ZTR (60" main deck + the 18" added Flex-Deck) that gets under trees, inside corners, and contour mowes the ditch out front with a 30" bottom - the flex-deck mows the bottom while the tractor is on the side hill) (See our web site and sposor forum for these pics) I mow a 3 acre yard with two rows of pine trees 380ft long and around 13 hardwood trees, trim 1/7th of a mile of drive, blow the drive, trim around 4 landscape islands + the house and two out buildings in 2.5 hrs, and that is one person, ME.

Thanks, Brad

One Machine - One Operator - No Workmans Comp - No Vacation Pay - No insurance - etc. etc.

Derrick Roberts
08-13-2002, 11:29 PM
Tom - No offense taken. This property is Very neat and clean. Six hours may be to long. But after I talked to the Prop. Mang. I figured out real quick that he will pick our work apart. I have not been picked apart in the four years I have been doing this full time, not fixin to let it happen now. Just wanted to make SURE I have adequate time to prepare for his walk about after every visit. Whether or not he will every time we service the property remains to be seen, infact ,he most likely will not, as per my experince with other blow hards. I just want to be ready. In all actuallity, four of us could do this in four hours max.(this includes picking up every cig but, paper, every shrub clipped of any runners etc...) This would be my biggest prop. to date with the biggest paycheck. When we leave the property after each service, I want there to be no doudt that we are worth EVERY dollar!!!! To answer your question concerning our other property, it takes three of us 1hour 45 min max. I generally run with me and two helpers. On certain days when we have shrubs to trim, pine straw to apply etc.. I bring the fourth man.

I hope this clears the situation up better for you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Derrick

Lawn-Scapes
08-13-2002, 11:46 PM
That's cool Derrick.. No one knows your business better than you. I was just shocked at the time you quoted. I was going to poke fun at Brad for basically just promoting his product but maybe he's onto something... needing more productive equipment! I'd hate to see you loose the bid because you think it takes twice as long than the next guy.

Good luck!

Floridalandcare
08-13-2002, 11:53 PM
We could that in about an hour if it was just flat ground ,we need more info

Derrick Roberts
08-13-2002, 11:56 PM
Floridalandcare- I will get back with you tommorow, it is time for bed, long day.

Have a GREAT DAY!!

dforbes
08-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Derick
Its good to see you are being carful in your bidding. It is important to be able to cover your costs. We are currently taking care of 2 properties close to this square footage. One has lots of curbs is flat with about 30 minutes of pushmowing. using 2 60" walk behinds a two man crew can mow weedeat and blow in about 5 hours. Thats 10 man hours. I use a base of $1.50 to$2.50 per 1000 sq ft depending on difficulty. This formalla has worked well for us bringing in an averge of $38 to $45 per man hour. Of coarse you have to have a good crew to make it work.

Tony Harrell
08-14-2002, 06:36 AM
Seems to me the more square footage, the lower the price. I personally don't like those huge properties. If I had a huge bat wing mower, maybe I would. I make more money for time invested on properties between 1000-5000 sf.

Derrick Roberts
08-14-2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks yall for sharing your opinions on how to propose this property. I will keep yall informed.

All yall on the East Coast and up north, drink plenty of water and take care of yourselves and crews. October is almost here.

God Bless

Derrick