PDA

View Full Version : Have rude email, I'm really gettin pissed!!!!

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 02:13 AM
He wrote:

James

Kinda crazy cutting the lawn during a tropical storm, don't you think. ? And the front yard looks terrible..What were u thinking?

I replied with with:

I was mowing when the rain was light then got it heavy. The weather channel said no rain after 3PM and they were totally wrong. You said not to mow Saturday's and if I waited till Monday it would be really tall and messy. I wanted to wait but the forecast says rain for Monday as well.

He has been breaking my balls lately. Maybe stress at his business or wife problems. I do a lot for the price. I take a few extra passes near the empty lot for him. Dude never seems happy. I know some people are just plain d**** but I can't stand those people. He always has something smart to say. I never get a complaint from a client and he is the first. If he doesn't shut his mouth I will raise my price. The only problem is there are a lot of people in the new area and word spreads fast. Dude never gave me a call on the shrubs.

What the hell should I just stop mowing half of his lawn?? The weather was total wrong and it should be all my fault. I am an honest guy did I do something wrong??

GunnPropertyServices
10-02-2010, 02:23 AM
he really sounds like a jerk! i can understand sending an email if he didnt like the way the cut turned out etc but his tone in the email (What were you thinking?) thats somthing you say to your teen age kid. Not how you talk to a grown man

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 02:27 AM
When I meet a future customer I study how they talk and move. From the start I knew he was one of those guys that thinks he is always the boss and is always right. You say the sky is blue he will say it's baby blue.

I am going to raise the price next year. I am going to start a D*** FEE I am serious guys! One thing that I think highly in life is RESPECT.

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 02:44 AM
I was looking at his business email and put his business on google. His business outsources jobs for companies in America to asia and some others. The website stated that there goal is to cut cost and save money for your business.

I remember talking to him about how the economy is bad. Well I opened my mouth and said how business people are OUTSOURCING jobs. I also stated they should charge a higher tax. I remember since then he never acted nice really. If your customer is a scumbag chances are he has a dirty job. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a lawyer also lol.

dKoester
10-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Never talk politics with a client if you own a business. It avoids alot of conflicts.

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Never talk politics with a client if you own a business. It avoids alot of conflicts.

This is why I love Lawnsite. I will always keep this in mind. Thanks. I guess maybe he wanted to test me or it was random with politics. Some people are very religious when it comes to politics. I see it on lawnsite as well. It takes one word to tick someone off.

Next time any customer wants to discuss anything that is related to politics I will kindly tell them I don't wish to get involved. I remember someone talking about politics at a bar and the drunk guy basically dragged the other guy out and got a fist full of pain.

Richard Martin
10-02-2010, 05:29 AM
I wasn't there to see the weather conditions before you started mowing but my best guess is you caused this particualr incident yourself. If it's lightly raining then I won't even bother to start cutting. I also have Internet access on my old Nextel Motorola phone and I'd have checked the radar before proceding.

BTW.. Weather forecasting is an imperfect science. They are only correct less than 40% of the time.

I also got an email during the storm. Here it is with my reply.

Her...

Hi Richard ,
Everything okay ?
Sort of thought you would have been here after the grass dried out today.
Hope all is well.
Cynthia Z.

Me...

I'll be there tomorrow around 9:00-9:30, maybe 10:00. I normally do go out right after rain but this was just too much rain. Your lawn drains well but the rest of the lawns that I have to do tomorrow needed a day to drain off. I got 6-1/4" of rain at my house! Anyway, I'll be there tomorrow. I'll probably be in a bit of a hurry since I'll have so many to do. I have to do today's and tomorrow's.

Richard

Her...

Glad all is well. Tomorrow is fine .. You got your work cut out for you doing two days work in one ! Don’t know what we got here . I should get a gauge.

Me the next morning (being proactive, sending her and email before she sent me one)...

Good Morning Cynthia,

It's not looking too good for today and tomorrow either. Up to 10" of rain is forecast. I'm guessing that we'll have to try again next Tuesday.

Richard

Her on Thursday...

Hi Richard ,

If you got time, what’s the name of that creek , or whatever it is behind my house , where the bridge is on Old 11 ? What larger stream flows into it before it reaches the area behind my house ?

Cynthia Z

The reason she asked was the creek behind her house had risen out of her banks and her backyard was covered in 12 inches of water on Wednesday. At that point it didn't matter what the grass looked like.

I also had one customer that I thought might have a problem with me skipping him. I gave him a call and he was good with a skip since we were in the middle of a huge rain event.

I would keep the customer and when one of these rare events happen just give him a call and let him know your intentions. It's not a big deal and you get to keep a customer that may end being one of your best one day.

Richard Martin
10-02-2010, 05:40 AM
She also sent me a pic. You can see the waterline around the fence.

h2oskier
10-02-2010, 06:31 AM
I wasn't there to see the weather conditions before you started mowing but my best guess is you caused this particualr incident yourself. If it's lightly raining then I won't even bother to start cutting. I also have Internet access on my old Nextel Motorola phone and I'd have checked the radar before proceding.

BTW.. Weather forecasting is an imperfect science. They are only correct less than 40% of the time.

I also got an email during the storm. Here it is with my reply.

Her...

Hi Richard ,
Everything okay ?
Sort of thought you would have been here after the grass dried out today.
Hope all is well.
Cynthia Z.

Me...

I'll be there tomorrow around 9:00-9:30, maybe 10:00. I normally do go out right after rain but this was just too much rain. Your lawn drains well but the rest of the lawns that I have to do tomorrow needed a day to drain off. I got 6-1/4" of rain at my house! Anyway, I'll be there tomorrow. I'll probably be in a bit of a hurry since I'll have so many to do. I have to do today's and tomorrow's.

Richard

Her...

Glad all is well. Tomorrow is fine .. You got your work cut out for you doing two days work in one ! Donít know what we got here . I should get a gauge.

Me the next morning (being proactive, sending her and email before she sent me one)...

Good Morning Cynthia,

It's not looking too good for today and tomorrow either. Up to 10" of rain is forecast. I'm guessing that we'll have to try again next Tuesday.

Richard

Her on Thursday...

Hi Richard ,

If you got time, whatís the name of that creek , or whatever it is behind my house , where the bridge is on Old 11 ? What larger stream flows into it before it reaches the area behind my house ?

Cynthia Z

The reason she asked was the creek behind her house had risen out of her banks and her backyard was covered in 12 inches of water on Wednesday. At that point it didn't matter what the grass looked like.

I also had one customer that I thought might have a problem with me skipping him. I gave him a call and he was good with a skip since we were in the middle of a huge rain event.

I would keep the customer and when one of these rare events happen just give him a call and let him know your intentions. It's not a big deal and you get to keep a customer that may end being one of your best one day.

Now thats how you handle the situation

93Chevy
10-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I remember talking to him about how the economy is bad. Well I opened my mouth and said how business people are OUTSOURCING jobs. I also stated they should charge a higher tax. I remember since then he never acted nice really. If your customer is a scumbag chances are he has a dirty job. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a lawyer also lol.

LOL, Political discussions aside, you told a business man that the government should charge higher taxes. I get pretty jacked myself when somebody tells me I should pay higher taxes.

Now I'm not saying I don't work for people who are on the opposite side of the spectrum as me, but I can generally judge where they fall on the first or second meeting. If they don't fall in line with how I think, then fine, but I don't get in those types of discussions.

Point being, don't tell a business man he should pay higher taxes :waving:

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I didn't know he was a business man when we were talking about politics awhile back.

volvotech
10-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Being in New Orleans, I know what it's like to fight tropical weather. Even when there's a light rain, I give it a few minutes under those conditions. The customer definitely handled that improperly, but I'll let the grass go a little high before I get stuck with my mower.

GravelyGuy
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
If people are not smart enough to understand inclement weather, they aren't worth the trouble. I've lost people over this type of stuff. No patience for it.

SNAPPER MAN
10-02-2010, 05:56 PM
In this business you have to learn to take everything with a grain of salt. Just ignore it and don't let it bother you.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
This is a funny thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: pita customers are great because they pay great! :payup:
Posted via Mobile Device

USFGUY
10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
She also sent me a pic. You can see the waterline around the fence.

That's it???????????? I had a commercial contract where acres were under more than that and for so long some swampy grass was growing out of it. The management company DEMANDED it be mowed down to water level. John Deere 770 4x4 and a 5 foot pull behind finish mower and trimmed everything down to water level.

It does leave ruts though!

h2oskier
10-02-2010, 06:41 PM
This is a funny thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: pita customers are great because they pay great! :payup:
Posted via Mobile Device

You got that right if a customer is paying, i don't care what he calls me, hey i don't know if his dog pissed in his fruitloops that day, but to take something that personal isn't going to help you. Then look at it this way did he fire you? Could of been a whole lot worse, just don't think i'd toilet paper his house just yet.Thumbs Up

Florida Gardener
10-02-2010, 07:26 PM
this guy sounds like an idiot, but you really shouldn't start to cut in any type of rain. If you have already started and THEN it starts raining, you should try and at least finish cutting.

I refuse to cut in rain and I will not cut after unless the sun dries everything out. If it stays dark, it won't get cut. There is nothing worse than looking at a yard with ruts and what not.

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I had to vent. I will try to keep thick skin when I meet him next week but if he gets smart again I will tell him next time I will leave half your yard cut if it rains out of the blue. I just can't stop mowing half of a yard if the rain progresses (that's just me). The yard wasn't bad actually. I used the blower and blew the lines from the mower since it was compacted down still from yesterday.

One of my customers told me he has a record of being very shady. I don't like share personal info so I will keep my mouth shut.

I am raising the price to $10 more. There was a beer can on his nice lawn. I guess he chucked it off the deck to piss me off. Talk about the toys everywhere....

h2oskier
10-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I had to vent. I will try to keep thick skin when I meet him next week but if he gets smart again I will tell him next time I will leave half your yard cut if it rains out of the blue. I just can't stop mowing half of a yard if the rain progresses (that's just me). The yard wasn't bad actually. I used the blower and blew the lines from the mower since it was compacted down still from yesterday.

One of my customers told me he has a record of being very shady. I don't like share personal info so I will keep my mouth shut.

I am raising the price to $10 more. There was a beer can on his nice lawn. I guess he chucked it off the deck to piss me off. Talk about the toys everywhere....

Sounds as if this guy could use my moto "don't sweat the petty stuff just pet the sweaty stuff" tell him that and see what his reaction is.

ajslands
10-02-2010, 09:29 PM
If you raise it 10$ you'll lose the account!
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 09:38 PM
If you raise it 10$ you'll lose the account!
Posted via Mobile Device

Then good. Think about it for a sec. You accept one ****** bag customer the next season you will have more. One is enough for me lol.

Richard Martin
10-02-2010, 10:01 PM
That's it???????????? I had a commercial contract where acres were under more than that and for so long some swampy grass was growing out of it. The management company DEMANDED it be mowed down to water level. John Deere 770 4x4 and a 5 foot pull behind finish mower and trimmed everything down to water level.

It does leave ruts though!

It's a residential dude, get over yourself.

ajslands
10-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Then good. Think about it for a sec. You accept one ****** bag customer the next season you will have more. One is enough for me lol.

Money is money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clark Griswold
10-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I was mowing when the rain was light then got it heavy. The weather channel said no rain after 3PM and they were totally wrong.

Yea, blame it on the weather channel!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mow if the sun isn't out, I do on cloudy days only if the grass is completely dry & hasn't rained!

I can't blame the guy for being pissed if your cutting his yard in the rain, I would too! I would never start a yard in the rain, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Plus, it's one thing to talk on the phone to a customer but to email back & forth with a customer, someone is going to take things the wrong way in the end!

old oak lawn
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
When we have a customer that is a pita we fire them. That simple. I do not have time for customers that no mater what you do you can not please them. I tell them that our business relation is not working out and we are canceling your service as of now. That is what i would be saying to this customer- in person.

soloscaperman
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Clark I was waiting for someone like you to comment like that. Buddy the weather said no rain after 3. I checked the doppler as well for the next 5 hours!! I started and it rained lightly so I was like whatever. It starts down pouring and it keep getting worse. Shoud I leave the lawn half cut Clark? When I was done it was still raining hard. I drove home and still raining hard. Clark I feel bad for your customers if you mow half of the lawn that's gotta look ugly and embarrassing.

With his business he only deals with email. Try again Clark please try and make me look bad and you look good. It's people like you Clark and this guy that makes most of this country rude and ignorant. Every post you gotta say something stupid. You must have low self esteem. Did people pick on you in school??

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Old Oak

Same here. I don't have the time nor the patience. I have only 1 right now and the ONLY reason I'm keeping her is b/c we are going into winter and I want to collect my winter $$. Before next growing season I am cutting her loose. It is something every week with her.

georgiagrass
10-03-2010, 12:56 AM
In this business you have to learn to take everything with a grain of salt. Just ignore it and don't let it bother you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin's comment and Snapper Man are totally correct. I would have picked up the phone and called him to explain my thinking and the circumstances, but if he disagreed, go with the flow (no pun intended).

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Old Oak

Same here. I don't have the time nor the patience. I have only 1 right now and the ONLY reason I'm keeping her is b/c we are going into winter and I want to collect my winter $$. Before next growing season I am cutting her loose. It is something every week with her.

It seems people run their business differently. Some seem to be "you're paying me you can treat me how you like!" That makes you seem desperate and unbusinesslike, both you and the customer should have respect for one another. We don't deal with headache customers and we don't want to. I would drop them if they are unreasonable. I run a company and am not a "lawn boy".

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 01:17 AM
I agree. Like I said im only keeping her through the winter. Once April comes, she is getting the cancellation letter. By that time I will be on 1k+/month properties anyways.....

h2oskier
10-03-2010, 01:21 AM
It seems people run their business differently. Some seem to be "you're paying me you can treat me how you like!" That makes you seem desperate and unbusinesslike, both you and the customer should have respect for one another. We don't deal with headache customers and we don't want to. I would drop them if they are unreasonable. I run a company and am not a "lawn boy".

Well if every time someone said something i didn't agree with i let them go, seems to me i wouldn't have many customers. hmmm i think i will just take it with the grain of salt. By the way when you do let them go give em my phone number.

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 01:26 AM
There is a difference b/t a headache customer(someone who complains about everything and is unpleasable) and someone who doesn't agree with everything. If a customer can't show me respect, I will drop them too. I am a human being and at least deserve respect.

h2oskier
10-03-2010, 01:43 AM
There is a difference b/t a headache customer(someone who complains about everything and is unpleasable) and someone who doesn't agree with everything. If a customer can't show me respect, I will drop them too. I am a human being and at least deserve respect.

I agree that you can't please everyone, and that everyone deserves respect, but if i've been servicing a customer for some time and out of the blue they made a comment that i thought was out of line i don't think i'd just walk away from it. If you read alot of these post some people take comments way to personal.:)

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 07:50 AM
oh yea for sure, i wouldn't do that either. here's the thing though, i don't get into political or religious discussions with my customers. It alleviates a lot of problems. But anyone can disagree on anything so.....

Charles
10-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Clark I was waiting for someone like you to comment like that. Buddy the weather said no rain after 3. I checked the doppler as well for the next 5 hours!! I started and it rained lightly so I was like whatever. It starts down pouring and it keep getting worse. Shoud I leave the lawn half cut Clark? When I was done it was still raining hard. I drove home and still raining hard. Clark I feel bad for your customers if you mow half of the lawn that's gotta look ugly and embarrassing.

With his business he only deals with email. Try again Clark please try and make me look bad and you look good. It's people like you Clark and this guy that makes most of this country rude and ignorant. Every post you gotta say something stupid. You must have low self esteem. Did people pick on you in school??

Oh don't worry about it. I am on your side on this one. The other day it was drizzling when I started a yard. (When I started the route it wasn't raining at all.) The ground wasn't mushy. I had sharp blades. 1/2 way through the yard it started flooding. My policy is to finish the job. I am not going to stop midway through an hour residential , go home and then come back. The yard looked decent. I got paid and the customer didn't complain. You do what you gotta do sometimes. Things always don't work out perfectly. Better to cut average height grass wet than to cut high grass and make a bigger mess.
This customer is being unreasonable imo

punt66
10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Oh don't worry about it. I am on your side on this one. The other day it was drizzling when I started a yard. (When I started the route it wasn't raining at all.) The ground wasn't mushy. I had sharp blades. 1/2 way through the yard it started flooding. My policy is to finish the job. I am not going to stop midway through an hour residential , go home and then come back. The yard looked decent. I got paid and the customer didn't complain. You do what you gotta do sometimes. Things always don't work out perfectly. Better to cut average height grass wet than to cut high grass and make a bigger mess.
This customer is being unreasonable imo

well we just got 8" of rain when he went out cutting. It was WAY TOO WET. It wasnt a drizzle. He should not have been cutting. Lawns have slowed way down. Most have now stopped growing. There was no urgency to mow. I think the customer was correct in being frustrated. I mentioned this very thing in another thread he made that day stating how he was going to go out and mow that day. He was warned.

Charles
10-03-2010, 08:40 AM
well we just got 8" of rain when he went out cutting. It was WAY TOO WET. It wasnt a drizzle. He should not have been cutting. Lawns have slowed way down. Most have now stopped growing. There was no urgency to mow. I think the customer was correct in being frustrated. I mentioned this very thing in another thread he made that day stating how he was going to go out and mow that day. He was warned.

I am just going by what he posted. I would let the ground dry out after that much rain. I won't cut a mushy yard. A firm yard with a little drizzle doesn't stop me from cutting. My lazer with sharp blades will make it look good. If I get caught in a downpour then I finish. But ya after heavy rains you have to have some drying time for residentials

punt66
10-03-2010, 08:43 AM
I am just going by what he posted. I would let the ground dry out after that much rain. I won't cut a mushy yard. A firm yard with a little drizzle doesn't stop me from cutting. My lazer with sharp blades will make it look good. If I get caught in a downpour then I finish. But ya after heavy rains you have to have some drying time for residentials

absolutely agree 100%

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I agree. Like I said im only keeping her through the winter. Once April comes, she is getting the cancellation letter. By that time I will be on 1k+/month properties anyways.....
I was talking about some of the other customers. I have very few complaints but if they are reasonable I work with the customer, my business is built on building relationships, so I want to get along with my customers. Of course even the best will have complaints, but talking to someone like a dog is another issue entirely. 1k/month not bad, keep it up bro.

PerfectEarth
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Never ever ever ever pay attention to The Weather Channel forecasts. They are vague at best. Find local radars, local weather blogs, or your local NWS website. 10 times more accurate.

punt66
10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Never ever ever ever pay attention to The Weather Channel forecasts. They are vague at best. Find local radars, local weather blogs, or your local NWS website. 10 times more accurate.

still makes no difference. He went out 20 min after an 8" 2 day rain event.

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Never ever ever ever pay attention to The Weather Channel forecasts. They are vague at best. Find local radars, local weather blogs, or your local NWS website. 10 times more accurate.I have actually used the weather channel, not so bad. But I will try your suggestion.

USFGUY
10-03-2010, 12:20 PM
It's a residential dude, get over yourself.

Yah, and it looks like there was water covering just a few feet of the backyard. I guess some people can not mow close to water. Ohhhhhhhh the horror! WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!! God forbid there could be a POND on a property! RUN! RUN!

Richard Martin
10-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Yah, and it looks like there was water covering just a few feet of the backyard. I guess some people can not mow close to water. Ohhhhhhhh the horror! WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!! God forbid there could be a POND on a property! RUN! RUN!

You take care of yours and I'll take of mine.

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 01:43 PM
C-Master

That is how I run my biz, on building relationships. I have no problem tailoring to requests, but if it something every week and it gets to a point of nitpicking, then I draw the line.

Well, I don't have any YET, but I will soon. There are accounts here that are 2k, 3k+/month. Lots of $$ round here.

soloscaperman
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I check the live weather radar from weather channel and also wtnh.com

He would of been snotty even if I waited till Monday. Any other lawn I can mow on a weekend if I have too but he is very against the weekends.

h2oskier
10-03-2010, 05:00 PM
It's all mind over matter, i don't mind cause it don't matter, rain, snow, hail, if the guy wants to be a snot let him, as long as his money is green it works for me.

kilgoja
10-03-2010, 05:09 PM
i never cut if the grass is wet...not even with morning dew...you are supposed to wait until it's completely dry to avoid clumping, etc...but i know lawn services that start at 6am lol....the grass isn't dry until after 9am around here...to each their own

yardguy28
10-03-2010, 07:32 PM
first off i only trust the weatherchannel for my weather. they are way more accurate than any other local information we have around here. in my neck of the woods anyway.

i don't know many that wait or can wait until the grass is completely dry so i'm not gonna tell you not to mow if the grass is wet. now if it's much wetter than morning dew i wouldn't mow it. but we have morning dew just about every single day of the week and waiting for it to burn off is just stupid.

if i'm out mowing and it starts to rain and i'm in the middle of a job i will keep going unless it starts downpouring. if i'm not on a job i'll check the radar and if i can i'll wait it out. if not depending on what time it is i'll call it a day and go home and get things ready for the next day.

i never rush and i never cut corners to catch up. just because i'm a day behind is no reason each and every client shouldn't get there normal quality work. don't schedule yourself packed full that you don't have built in rain days. i use sat, sun and mon. for rain days. that way i'm not rushing and cutting corners to catch up.

JB1
10-03-2010, 07:37 PM
i never cut if the grass is wet...not even with morning dew...you are supposed to wait until it's completely dry to avoid clumping, etc...but i know lawn services that start at 6am lol....the grass isn't dry until after 9am around here...to each their own

in the spring if we waited till the grass was wet we would never get to mow, apparently golf courses don't know about waiting till it drys out.

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
C-Master

That is how I run my biz, on building relationships. I have no problem tailoring to requests, but if it something every week and it gets to a point of nitpicking, then I draw the line.

Well, I don't have any YET, but I will soon. There are accounts here that are 2k, 3k+/month. Lots of $$ round here.
I actually meant to say posters and not customers. I agree completely, I actually have a customer becoming somewhat nitpicky, but she is more frugal and a customer who wants it on call. They aren't bad people although I try to avoid them.