PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project Photos

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Just got back from a lighting ceremony at our latest project. The photos are attached. The clients are thrilled and it is a pretty darned good job if I do say so myself. :)

(The first couple of overview shots have a bit too much contrast, but I think I got the rest right)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Some more...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-02-2010, 05:04 AM
last set....

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Just in case you were wondering, I used LED lamps in about 95% of the fixtures.

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
10-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Just in case you were wondering, I used LED lamps in about 95% of the fixtures.

No wondering about that, but thanks for the inspiring photos. My favorite is the one with the rock washed with shadows of leaves from above.

David Gretzmier
10-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I love the wall on the number 3 photo. great work.

Prolightscaper
10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm wondering about the choice to uplight hydrangeas which are deciduous (disappear in the cool season) and why from such a close range. Intense hot spots. Lost opportunity on the stone behind it.

I'd have backlighted the hydrangea and focused on grazing the beautiful and dramatic stone by bringing the light source closer to it but that's just me.

Those LED's are real noticeable on the stone in some of those photos real white stark cold and not as appealing as a halogen. Oh well maybe someday LED's will improve to the point of acceptability.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm wondering about the choice to uplight hydrangeas which are deciduous (disappear in the cool season) and why from such a close range. Intense hot spots. Lost opportunity on the stone behind it. Hydrangeas around here are not pruned in the fall, they remain in the landscape as bunches of bare sticks and as such the shadow pattern of them will still be projected onto the back wall. They are currently lit at close range because they are immature having been planted last week. As they grow the fixtures will be re-positioned and the relative intensity of light will be spread out across more foliage. We build lighitng systems for the long haul, not just for what looks good at start up. No lost opportunity on the stone behind as the neither the clients or I wanted that effect. We discussed this at length.

I'd have backlighted the hydrangea and focused on grazing the beautiful and dramatic stone by bringing the light source closer to it but that's just me. Backlighting the hydrangea would have caused glare as you walk past on the path leading to the guest cottage and we wanted the shadows projected onto the side of the house.

Those LED's are real noticeable on the stone in some of those photos real white stark cold and not as appealing as a halogen. Oh well maybe someday LED's will improve to the point of acceptability. The LED lamps I use are all have the same CCT of 3000K. As you walk through the project there is no discernable "cold" look at all. Contrast can often be exaggerated and misrepresented in photography... it is something many of us have struggled with.

I look forward to reviewing some photos of your work in the near future. :)

David Gretzmier
10-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I agree that in person warm white leds do look better than they photograph. I believe that may be due to the fact halogen puts out a spectrum of white light with red, yellow and orange in the color, while led is just one very narrow spectrum of color.

Illumicare
10-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree that in person warm white leds do look better than they photograph. I believe that may be due to the fact halogen puts out a spectrum of white light with red, yellow and orange in the color, while led is just one very narrow spectrum of color.

Actually that is a common myth about white LEDs. If you go to our site and download the pdf specification sheet for the LED MR16 lamps you will see the full photometrics and spectrum analysis chart. Quality white LEDs actually produce a fairly wide spectrum of light. Not quite as even of a curve as an incandescent but it is certainly not a "very narrow spectrum of color". White LEDs create their colour spectrum by using a phosphor 'coating' over what is initially a very narrow spectrum light source. These phosphors are excited by the narrow spectrum of light that hits them from the LED chip and then they in turn radiate a full, broader spectrum of light out towards the object.

Essentially it is the phosphors that are doing the work of converting the narrow spectrum of light emitted from the LED into a broad spectrum of what we see as white light. By changing the composition of the phosphors the LED chip manufacturers are able to alter the colour and intensity characteristics of the LED package.

Rotor_Tool
10-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Ideal site for lighting and great work. Inspring to say the least!!

elegance_alex
10-11-2010, 12:25 PM
James,
These are lovely! I hope you will consider entering a project in the AOLP Lighting Awards- REMEMBER though, you will have to remove any published photos if you intend to submit to the competition.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Alexandra. I am not too sure what you mean when you say "you will have to remove any published photos if you ...." Are you suggesting that if a photo is put online, be it here, or on my website, or used in a print ad, or submitted to another organization for awards or publishing that the AOLP will NOT accept it or the project?

That seems awfully restrictive to me. I am considering entering a couple of jobs into the AOLP Awards program this year, but they have all been put on websites and used in advertising. After all the photos and the work are mine and ultimately it should be up to the contractor as to how the photos are best used.

I would appreciate some clarification on this as it makes no sense at all to me.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Ok answered my own questions by looking through the AOLP Awards application documents. Because these awards are not judged by a blind panel, but instead the AOLP relies upon its membership to view and vote on their favourites, it is necessary for the submitted work to be anonymous. Obviously by showing the photos & project here it would comprimise the anonymity of the submission and could affect the voting process.

Oh well, maybe some other time.

elegance_alex
10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, I'm glad you read through the application materials. I've seen samples of your work, and it is absolutely beautiful!

We've considered holding a "juried show" with a panel of judges- but we've elected to stay with the format of keeping the "blind judging" - meaning we just put the application materials out with a number identifying it - no name - and the AOLP members vote from the project narrative description and images.

The Janet Lennox Moyer Award is selected by Ms Moyer herself - using the criteria in the application packet and her keen eye for design.

We'd LOVE for you to submit any other project that either is not on a website or hasn't been sent out on the forum. Or photos from these projects that aren't seen here.