PDA

View Full Version : Am I using the wrong blades with my mulch kit(Stander)?

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 01:28 AM
OK

So I finally got my mulch kit for my 36" and have been using Gator blades so I left them on thinking it would work great with the kit.

Well, today was the first day using it and I have to say I wasn't greatly impressed. The blades were sharpened right after installing the kit and it would chop non-grass debris up, but not like what I thought meaning it wouldn't chop it up 100%....should I be using different blades with a mulch kit??

unkownfl
10-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Are you using the kit or just block off plate? I use regular medium lifts on my mulch kit for the 36 stander and 52 Wright Z

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 07:46 AM
unknown

i have the actual kit with baffles...

can you post pics of your blades by chance. When people say med, high-lift i don't know what they are talking about....

thanks for your help.

Bagit
10-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I use Oregon 90-207 blades. These are not gator type. I've got the mulch kit installed on my 36" Stander and it mulches grass great. I've mulched down alot of leaves with it too.

The blades are 1/4 thick and have a slight sail to the ends. They are probably med. lift.

unkownfl
10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.expressmowerparts.com/Wright_Stander_18_Medium_Lift_Blade_p/26-181ws.htm

The gator type is for mulching while discharging. Check your deck pitch if you get some blowout. I can't see my clipping after I mow unless it wet and two weeks of growth on the Augustine. If your model is the newer style wright that takes the wavy blades you will need the 14 gauge spacers to run the straight blades.

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
unknown

That's what I figured. I didn't have any blowout, it just wasn't mulching other debris that great like leaves, bamboo debris, etc.

About the newer model comment, what do you consider newer model?? Mine is a 2008. What models need that spacer?

When you mulch live oak leaves in the winter, does it completely get everything in 1 pass??

Thanks for your help.

unkownfl
10-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Live oaks I can still see the bits and pieces even after multiple passes. Newer model as in 2010 they use a different blade now. Here is the newer style blade http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PACK-HEAVY-DUTY-PLATINUM-BLADES-32-48-WRIGHT-MANUF-/180325702327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item29fc3fdab7

Kinda looks like a 21" blade from HD.

Florida Gardener
10-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Ok gotchya

So I would go with the one's you posted in the first link then, right?

unkownfl
10-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Ok gotchya

So I would go with the one's you posted in the first link then, right?

That's what I use and have had good luck with. My old Toro (2006) used almost the exact kind of blade and they came with the mulch kit. I have a few sets of Gators and gave them to an old helper of mine because they just didn't work for me anyway I tried.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 02:55 AM
diamond, you did the exact same thing I did from April-August.

Bought my 36 w/ the mulch kit (baffles and all) but it needed new blades so I ignorantly ordered up some gator blades because the LOOKED like the best. Man was I wrong. Finally found out that I just needed mulching blades. Simple wavy type blade. Man, did it make all the difference in the world how they worked with my deck. I don't know exactly how to describe but the cuts were crisper and sharper looking. Not to mention the reduced blowout and increased vacuum I have gotten when taking on a huge pile of debris. I don't know what mower you have but call up the dealer and ask for the actual mulching blades. Very plain in comparison to gators. Mulching are just wavy a bit and I have no idea why but give such a better cut and mulch than gators. Don't think it is the mower or the deck just yet!

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 03:00 AM
Diamond I know I'm a bit late but here is a pic of the gators that sucked with my kit (BLUE) and the exmark mulching blades that have worked so well (BLACK)
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/cleanassz/Mower.jpg

Let me know if my blue gators are similar to the ones you've been using. Then you should expect good outcome when you switch to actual mulching blades. My mulching blades have a little blowout when the deck is a little too high running over dirt with leaves they will blow around but if it is in higher thicker grass it is flawless. If I lowered the deck all the way over the dirt areas I'm sure I'd get a much better result.

It has been so good when I have a hedge trim, I trim first and get all of the hedge limbs into the lawn and cut, everything disappears, no bagging. What kind of stander are you using and how do you like it other than having wrong blades? I'm still trying to decide between a Lazer ZTR or a stander type mower....Lemme' know.

Florida Gardener
10-04-2010, 09:11 PM
unknown

Thanks dude. I just bought a kit for my ZMaster 48" as well and your right they included the blades with the kit.

South

Gators do work great for discharging. They really shred the grass up nicely. For mulch kits though, it is apparently the wrong blade. The main reasons I bought the kit were for no mess in beds and to mulch up debris. Gators are very expensive though. 20 something each vs. 10 each for mulching blades is a big difference.

I ran the block-off plates last winter and early spring and they just don't do the trick with tall grass. Way too much clumping.

Florida Gardener
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
i have a 36" Fixed Deck Stander. I really like it and the best part is the compactness. It works great for Florida b/c there are so many gated back yards that require it. Another great thing is the seasonal buying program. I saved 1k off msrp and got 0% for 12 months and paid it off in a year.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 09:38 PM
i have a 36" Fixed Deck Stander. I really like it and the best part is the compactness. It works great for Florida b/c there are so many gated back yards that require it. Another great thing is the seasonal buying program. I saved 1k off msrp and got 0% for 12 months and paid it off in a year.

What brand? Can you get floating decks on 36-52" deck sizes? I'm looking at the eXmark vantage in a 48-52". At first I was considering selling my walk behind and investing in a 36" stander primary mower. However, I really like my Metro. It's in great condition and I feel it will last forever so it can make a good backup to a Vantage. I really like eXmark but I would buy a Wright, Hustler or whatever that's why I'm interested in what you got.

How well does the reverse work on your machine? How much power does it have? Enough to reverse you up a slight hill? I think I read on here the Grandstands, I think, had weak left side reverse issues. So give me the run down on yours, let me know what you really think of it because I just can't decide between stander or ZTR?? Got a slight lean towards stander for price and small footprint for my 5x12 trailer.

Florida Gardener
10-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I own a Wright. Here is my advice.

1.)Get the Rapid Height feature. People will say that the foot positioning is uncomfortable, but who is moving their feet around while cutting?
2.)Go with the 17hp motor. Mine has the 15hp and it is pull start. I don't care about the pull start, but I think the extra hp will benefit especially on hills.

The reverse works just fine. I own a ZTR as well and either way you can't go wrong, but the standers offer a lot better maneuverability.

I say get a Wright b/c of the seasonal buying program. No other manufacturer offers that.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Wright is the originator of the stander too right? What is seasonal payments? My only problem with payments would be during the core winter months when I am not in landscaping and primarily focused on school w/ some part time job. I think I might be able to pay off a $6,000 mower in one season, unsure. Right now I just paid for all of my school and finish paying off my walkbehind and trailer then I will be able to buy stander.

Florida Gardener
10-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Yes, they are. Seasonal buying means that the cost of any machine is different at different times of the year. In low season, the cost can be up to 1k less than msrp. At peak season, you will pay the most for the same mower. Look on their website for more info-wrightmfg.com

unkownfl
10-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Try buying one used. I bought my 08 36 fixed deck with 70 hours for $3200 with a 17hp and my other 09 36 with a 15hp for $2800 with 92 hours. The electric start is worth it for me because I have an enclosed trailer plus it still has the recoil for emergency. Both have been sold though for my Wright Z and Gravely pro32. The Wright will out perform a Metro any day in productivity besides super steep hills or really soft ground.