PDA

View Full Version : Minor mower problem

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 09:22 AM
So my exmark will run at full blast, and then the engine will slow down for a bit and have little power, once you stop it, it goes to full blast. It's probably something simple. While it is under warranty I like to find out things and fix them myself, and also save the time of the dealer.

Any suggestions? The air filter and spark plugs are new.

gebby
10-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Water in the fuel bowl ??

Landrus2
10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Water in the fuel bowl ??

it could be very well water in fuel bowl. drain fuel bowl and change fuel filter

StihlMechanic
10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
coil? what make and model engine do you have?

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Kawasaki 15hp, I'd have to give you the number. I'll check the fuel bowl first.

StihlMechanic
10-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Kawasaki 15hp, I'd have to give you the number. I'll check the fuel bowl first.

I assumed it was a twin cylinder. Only one coil on that engine. Yes drain the float bowl into a glass container and inspect the contents. water will be heavier than fuel, and they will not mix.

TheC-Master
10-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Cool, that is likely it. I guess it happens over time. I'll replace the filter tomorrow with it.

Southern Pride
10-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Guys no thread jack simple question. How do I identify my Kawasaki 15hp engine? I know it is a FH430V but partstree.com is asking me is it an AS01 all the way through JS51. So I know its FH430V but the second set of numbers there are 60 possibilities. Manual, actual engine shroud, nothing says and I'm unsure. I've found the AS01 is the early model with the box air filter on the front, and I'm somewhere in the 30's. How do I know exactly which one I have.

To the Original Poster, It most definitely is a fuel issue. When something like this happens with me I just go ahead and replace all fuel related parts. Some good time to learn and preventitive maintenance. OP go to partstree.com put in your engine model and you can get every single little part for that mower for fairly cheap. This way you don't have to leave it at the dealer for a week before they decide to even look at it. There may be some kind of buildup in the carb that it's just trying to blow through also.

TheC-Master
10-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Exactly why I tried to identify it myself. I like to learn these basic things and do them myself, a week is too long as my company is year round busy.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 12:30 AM
That's the way to do it. The better you become at the Mechanic game on these small engines, you will be leaps and bounds over the competition, and able to get your investments back to the lawn doing what they are designed to do. Try to involve yourself in any small problem threads like this so you will know what's wrong when it is your turn to invest back into that engine. If you would, please let us know what the final problem was too!

Griffin

TheC-Master
10-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Absolutely. I've always been a bit of an all around person. But I'm also picky, if I don't know what I'm doing I don't touch it. I like to get things done and be self sufficient and knowledgeable so I save the time and money, especially the time. I can't sit around for a week while my stuff is in the shop for them to charge me $300 to kick the tires. I'm sure it is something minor though. Thanks for the help guys.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Well we think alike. Sometime it may seem convenient and the right thing to do to turn it into a dealer, but it's not. As long as this website stands, there isn't much we cannot figure out in a small amount of time on our own. Time and money my friend. Time and money. Now go check that fuel bowl!

TheC-Master
10-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Yea time and money, and in this case time and money is saved by me doing it myself. If it were something crazy serious I'd let them deal with it and save myself the time lol. But yea I'm off now.

TheC-Master
10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
It actually sounds worse. I'm going to let it run longer, maybe carb buildup?

TheC-Master
10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Checked the carburetor, changed the air filter, and even added more oil (it was a little low), so I'm not sure what to try next.

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
It actually sounds worse. I'm going to let it run longer, maybe carb buildup?

What exactly did you do? Just check the fuel bowl? and now it sounds worse? My blower did this same thing and then one day it ran perfect. I assume something was built up in the carb and it finally blew it out. I feel like that same thing may be happening in your case just on a bigger engine..You say you checked the carb, but how in depth did you go? This has to be a fuel issue. Go ahead and replace that fuel filter too, could very well be that. If your engine is anything like mine the fuel filter is clear so you can see any buildup in it. Also go to your manual and figure out how to check the fuel pump. At this point both the fuel filter and fuel pump are very good possibilities. Thoroughly check the carb since that is free but I would check your fuel pump (like the manual states) AND go ahead and replace fuel filter (preventitive maintenance) and might also be a fix. What grade gas are you running?

White Gardens
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
What year is the motor and how many hours do you have on it.

I'd do a compression test next.

TheC-Master
10-05-2010, 04:58 AM
What exactly did you do? Just check the fuel bowl? and now it sounds worse? My blower did this same thing and then one day it ran perfect. I assume something was built up in the carb and it finally blew it out. I feel like that same thing may be happening in your case just on a bigger engine..You say you checked the carb, but how in depth did you go? This has to be a fuel issue. Go ahead and replace that fuel filter too, could very well be that. If your engine is anything like mine the fuel filter is clear so you can see any buildup in it. Also go to your manual and figure out how to check the fuel pump. At this point both the fuel filter and fuel pump are very good possibilities. Thoroughly check the carb since that is free but I would check your fuel pump (like the manual states) AND go ahead and replace fuel filter (preventitive maintenance) and might also be a fix. What grade gas are you running?

Sorry. I messed up what I said. My comp was giving me issues too for some reason. Ok air filter and spark plugs are new. My fuel filter is new as well now. The carb as far as I looked was clean. My fuel could be the problem. I run premium in my vehicle (which is recommended), but my other equipment has used it as well a good number of times. I know my stihl requires mid grade though.

It doesn't sound worse now, it is a little better. It probably sounded funky as I was clearing it out, and I had to reverse the filter after I had put it on. My engine is 2008 and it has only 197 hours on it, pretty new.

TheC-Master
10-05-2010, 10:48 AM
coil? what make and model engine do you have?

Actually it is probably the ignition coil. I took it up there and it is a costlier fix and under warranty so I let them deal with it. They said they should have it out in 4 days. I'll have to use the Z and the metro.

orlawncaresvc
10-05-2010, 11:49 PM
So my exmark will run at full blast, and then the engine will slow down for a bit and have little power, once you stop it, it goes to full blast. It's probably something simple. While it is under warranty I like to find out things and fix them myself, and also save the time of the dealer.

Any suggestions? The air filter and spark plugs are new.
our exmark phazer with the 19hp kawi was doing the exact same thing. We took it in to the shop. The guys at the shop could not get the mower to act on the problem that it was giving us. They replaced the fuel filter. Also the fuel bowl was replaced. They treated it as fuel problems. They actually ran the mower for a total of 10 hrs and they were still not able to get the problem to act. We just got our mower back today and no problems so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheC-Master
10-06-2010, 12:38 AM
It acted when I brought it up there. So it definitely exists. Be cool if it were a figment of my imagination though. :p