PDA

View Full Version : Iris problem

wattsup
08-13-2002, 08:36 PM
I am re-landscaping a house. In the front the shrubs are old, but nice. The problem is there are huge bunches of iris. The customer wants these thinned out, but it seems they all will have to be dug up and re-plant about 1/4 of them. Would using a tiller to dig them up be a bad idea? I tried digging some up today, but there are so many it will take 2 days to do it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mataman
08-13-2002, 11:07 PM
NO-GO on the tiller,, :dizzy:

Just grab ya a shovel and pop em up. If you miss one, you'll find out next spring. I'd take all the left over ones, trim them down to the bulb and place in a bag. You can offer them later to another customer. Hey free iris' equals free money, in a sense. I'd take a picture of them prior to digging them up so you'll remember what color they where.

I had a group, and I mean a group of lilies in my backyard when I moved in. Dug them up, redid the gardens with bulbs of the same size and saved the rest. Had about 100 bulbs varying in size from an egg to over two fist sizes!!! Sold the bag full all for $250 and they now line a doctors driveway at his house. Everytime I see his wife she always thanks me for giving her such a great deal,, damn!!!

wattsup
08-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Hey! What a great idea. I was looking for something to fill in some space at my house and one of my commercial accounts, now I know what it will be, and it is free. Thanks a lot.